[Suggestion] Ammo upgrades for pistols, please

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fennel, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Fennel

Ever since the introduction of holding knives out intentionally and, to a further extent, introducing knives that can either kill in one hit or shoot glowing energy blades out for a short distance, the game currently feels like it's in a place where very few sidearms have any practical use anymore. The Underboss and Commissioner are still fantastic pistols, as are those that have automatic firing modes.

Still, the effective range for most of the semi-auto pistols leave a lot to be desired --- 8m to 10m isn't a very good distance for fighting with a pistol, and whenever it comes to optimal circumstances meaning it takes around nine bodyshots to kill, going just past that max damage range quickly turns pistol fights into affairs that mean a significant amount of bashing on the fire button as quickly as possible to match the potential fire rate for maximum damage.

So, instead, why not let us have some different ammo types for some of the 'regular' pistols? They needn't be as strong as the soft point or high velocity rounds for the primary weapons --- but just something that would allow pistol lovers like myself a way to kit out our guns so that we have a better potential to defend ourselves at ranges longer than a shotgun's distance away.
    • Up x 1
  2. TR5L4Y3R

Weren't pistols meant to be suplemental weapons for when your primary runs out of ammo? imo playing purely with weapons that aren't realy meant to quickly kill a enemy at full health you put yourself at a disadvaantage rather deliberately ..
    • Up x 1
  3. Maecy

I would argue the emissary leaves some things to be desired and the amaterasu knife barely deals any damage with cresent wave energy (it got buffed to 350 dmg, why do I still need to fire cresent wave energy 5 times to kill enemy infantry at close range while in VR? That is some sh!tty TTK, I'd rather use the lumine edge as a stalker infil for the OHK ability), but yeah, different ammo would be great.
  4. Fennel

Perhaps they were, but then melee was also initially also just a quick swipe for 500 damage that took a while to perform since you had to pull your weapon out after performing the attack. The role of melee has changed, so why not the role of pistols?
  5. TR5L4Y3R

the emmisary as far as i understand is a weapon meant to suplemeant loadouts with VERY niche roles such as archer, BA, BR or shotguns (with or without slugs) it's not meant to be effective in a 1v1 scenario were pistols like the commisioner, underboss or desperado and inquitor are strong enough to finish a opponent ... instead it's a weapon you use like a primary however not performing like one ... so while you use it you never want to go alone indoors
  6. Maecy

Just asking, is the blackhand any good for stalker infil?
  7. Dusk117

Someone hasn't used, like, any NC pistol. I kill people with my Rebel the freaking Mag-Scatter more than my knife most of the time.
    Heck, the only time I get knife kills these days is when I'm trying.
  8. Dusk117

It is good if you want to play mid range sniper stalker.
  9. Dusk117

You can still run most pistols primary style and do fine if you've got your headshots dialed in and can adadcrouch
    • Up x 1
  10. Eternaloptimist

IIRC all NS infantry weapons are characterised by ease of use but poorer ttk.

I would think that, as a short range weapon only a soft point bullet option would make any sense for most pistols, but then why would anybody not equip it?

Just my opinion but it gives a stalker a longer range, sniper-like weapon at the cost of making a god-awful noise and showing you on the minimap. Personally I run stalker if I want to get close to things and I carry a suppressed weapon to reduce detection. I.e. it's a choice thing.
  11. Fennel

The NC pistols are very good, as are the 'heavier' VS pistols. That being said, 8-10m range for maximum damage is a very short range, all things considered, and the damage of these pistols is usually just at a threshold damage value like 250 or 200 so that even an inch past that point means it takes one more shot to the body to kill.

My main point is that the range of these pistols tends to be really, really bad. The SMG primaries are saved from this by the way they can have soft point ammo that gives a crucial 5m more minimum range to effect their lethality.
  12. Campagne

I could really see some good uses for soft point ammo on certain pistols. More choices would be cool as well, like slugs on a Magscatter.

Well, if you've ever seen or used a directive pistol you would probably understand why the reduced projectile velocity would be a bad thing. :p

Even after the velocity buff they are still terrible. One might argue worse in fact, due to the smaller mags.