[Suggestion] Membership passive cert cap needs to go!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liewec123, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Liewec123

This has been suggested many times, but its about time it happened!

currently if you're a member you get 2 passive certs per hour, cool right?
    HOWEVER, this is capped at 48 certs (one day) for some unfathomable reason...
    meaning you are required to log through all of your characters every single day if you want to get the certs you've paid for!
    this makes having a membership feel like a chore.

some days you might be working late, and all you want to do when you get home is watch a movie and go to sleep,
    but you feel obliged to do the daily cert logs to get what you've paid for!

noone likes chores, and especially chores that they're paying to do!
    so yeah, remove the 48 cert cap, remove the chore!

its a win for the players since we no longer have to worry about not logging in for a day and its a win for the devs because it will make membership soooo much more attractive.
    so just do it!
    [IMG]
    • Up x 8
  2. Beerbeerbeer

Yeah I agree. It's tedious and unnecessary. It's similar to having to hit that "claim" button to get your DBC.

I would honestly rather have a monthly cert dump similar to the monthly DBC dump. Just give us an equivalent 30 day dump, with a "claim" button if you must. That's what, 1440 certs? How about just round it up to 1500 certs per month for members to make it clean. I like that, change it please.
    • Up x 1
  3. UberNoob1337101

Yes please, was an all-access member for a month before I realized that there's no real benefit and you're obliged to play 24/7 to really feel the benefits.

Also, a "collect all passive certs" button so we don't have to log in in all 3 (or 6) characters would be good.
    • Up x 1
  4. Liewec123

thats a really good way to handle it too!
  5. EvilWarLord

Oh is that where that old cert collection thing ran off too
  6. TombsClawtooth

I'd get a membership if you didn't have to login to claim things. I take breaks here and there but would keep paying for a membership if I returned to a decent amount of certs and DBC waiting on me.
    • Up x 1
  7. Pelojian

i fail to see any improvement, all you are doing is taking away. so what if you can't login daily? you get 48 certs vs none with your change when you do log in.

if you are not gonna subscribe over such a trivial 'issue' then you've got bigger problems in real life then a game subscription.
  8. Lemposs

As much as I agree, it is a very used method in free to play games (granted this is somewhat different), and I am also fairly sure that it has stats to back it up being an effective method of getting people to play more frequently.
    So the likelihood it actually happening, rather small.
    • Up x 1
  9. Liewec123

i'm asking to remove the cap, not the certs XD,
    so lets say you go 2 days without logging in, when you log in on day 3 you'll get the 3 days worth of certs, rather than the flat 48 (cap) certs with the other 96 certs you've paid for being lost.
  10. Cymric

DBG wouldn't remove the cap on passive certs. They want you to login everyday. If you login you will get tempted to play for the daily bonus ribbons. If you play you are providing content for other players. (More planetmans to shoot at) This outweighs any good will they get by uncapping the passive certs.
    • Up x 1
  11. Beerbeerbeer

I can understand their desire to have people log in, but I seriously doubt people log in to get their 48 certs.

That measly carrot doesn't make people log in, they log in to play.

However, providing a cert dump makes it more convenient for members and if anything might make membership more appealing as members get hardly anything over non members if both log in after a week.

You see what I'm saying?

What's the point of membership if you only play weekly. 48 certs isn't much, but having a monthly cert dump, regardless of logging in might be enough to motivate more.
  12. Liewec123

someone suggested that earlier, its a great idea!
    i'm one of those idiots who plays for about 5 hours once or twice a week but still coughs up the membership (i hate the queues and i like the miniscule bonus to resource)
    and as such i'm forced to log through 6 characters every day to get the certs i've paid for!

i just coughed up the cash for the discounted 12 month subscription the other day too,
    so now i get to enjoy the chore of logging on and off 6 characters every day for the next 365 days to get the 17,520 certs i've paid for!

i don't agree with the people saying "well maybe they want you to log in so you'll start playing!", i've been a casual member for a very long time and have never once logged in with the intention of quickly logging through characters for the certs and then miraculously been enticed to play,
    if you don't feel like playing you won't feel more like playing after clicking log on and log off 12 times. :rolleyes:

tl;dr i totally agree that a monthly deposit of 1440 certs (30 days) would be much better than a 48 cert capped deposit every day.
  13. zaspacer

Buying Premium is supposed to make life *easier* for the player. It's supposed to make them happy they chose Premium and want to renew it each year... or is it?

Logging in for my 48 Certs for my 6 Characters today took me ~4.15 minutes. That's 1514 minutes a year, which is 25 hours. And it leaves me wondering why I am spending 25 hours of my life each year just logging in to a game.

They used to offer a handful of Daily Certs to Free Players. This motivated some Free Players to login daily. Then they stopped. Now there is no added incentive for the Free Player to login each day... other than to check "Daily Sales" (hahahahaha).

So it's just the Premium Members slogging through this Daily Grind. And I really don't need the Certs anymore (and even if I did, that would just be the sign of a game that is racing past F2P)... but I am just OCD enough to feel a need to login while those Certs are there... and before it Caps and the extra Certs start getting wasted... so I am daily either too early or too late and that just pushes my OCD buttons anyway.

Buying Premium is supposed to make life *easier* for the player. It's supposed to make them happy they chose Premium and want to renew it each year. Or is it some ticket to misery on the leash of a corporate system devised to keep you logging in for their benefit and your addiction?

I am a Premium Member. Come Oct. 22nd I hope not to be anymore. Time to take back 25 hours of my life a year. And if it makes me not care about logging in to PS2... great.
    • Up x 2
  14. Stigma

Have to agree with the OP on this one. Back when I had a sub and cared enough about certs to pick up those passive ones it was a chore to "cycle" all my characters. It was a chore on a fast quadcore with a nice SSD. I can only image that a slow computer with a platter-harddrive would be rage-inducing to watch load.

Requiring login to get a freebie for non-subs makes sense - because it provides a "well, I'm already here, so maybe I'll play some". Free players add to the game and may pay later on - which is a win.

For subscribers however it makes little sense. If they are subs then they are already invested in the game. No need to use bait tactics when you already got their money in your pocket. It just adds annoyance and frustration.

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  15. breeje

7 characters, 7 daily logins to get what i pay for
    i had a membership and now i am happy that i stopped it
    the membership is just not worth it's price

i suggested long ago to change some things and i was not the only one
    the 48 cert cap was one of the changes we asked
    nobody from DBG listen to what we said so i canceled my membership
    even now with the discount it's not worth it for me

i still spend money on this game but if they want my membership back
    they will need to work harder for it, not only change the membership
    make membership worth my time and money (for a veteran player who has everything what i want unlocked)
    i really would like to support this game on a monthly base, but i just can't give you my money for free (well, almost free)
  16. Eternaloptimist

Well, it's been said already but the daily cert bonus is a member benefit for playing, not for saving up. No play, no pay - that's the deal on offer.

I have a F2P account for farting around as well as a membership account and as things are, I see enormous benefits in cert gain from membership even when I don't play every day (or don't play every avatar)

I guess people who don't want to play regularly can always have a F2P account and buy DBC for when they want to top up their small winnings from playing. It's a cost vs benefit calculation.
  17. Liewec123

but thats not the deal, i play 1-2 nights a week but still need to spend 3-4 minutes every day sitting through loading screens as i log on and off 6 characters to get the certs i've paid for, there is no playing involved, just a boring daily time-sink.

its just an unnecessary and time-devouring hoop to jump through, each and every day that you're giving DBG money.
    (which for me is the next 361 days, you're welcome DBG!)

i like being a member for the quicker queues and the small bonus to resources to let me pull max and things more often,
    but the 48 passive cert cap makes subscription far less attractive,

i bet they'd sell way more subs if they simply gave you your 30 days worth of certs at the start of each month (as is the case with the 500 DB cash), devs would be happy, members would be happy, why is it not happening?!
    • Up x 1
  18. AxiomInsanity87

Make it happen!.
    • Up x 1
  19. Aphlack

I actually paid for a 3-month subscription and am now stopping because of this. I am away for large periods of time and can't play for some days in a row so I am wasting my money.
    • Up x 2
  20. o.Solei.o

Did they ever get around to fixing this?

Also, are passive certs still even a thing?