Mic/Headset question(s)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Giligan96, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Giligan96

I'm looking to go to the next step and pick up a headset w/mic to be able to communicate with fellow teammates. I'd like to spend around $100. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Do I have to download any additional software to use chat in PS2? Like team speak?

Is there a guide on how to use the voice commands and chat box commands in PS2? I just recently found out that typing a comment in the upper left chat box sends it out to everyone! I was revealing my position to a teammate!
    "I'm over on B! Derp!"

Thanks for the replies!:)
  2. cobaltlightning

I personally use Logitech's HS390. It ain't perfect, but tend to do the job pretty well, and will run you about $40 USD instead.
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/stereo-headset-h390
    And no, you do not have to use additional software to use voice communication. Specific outfits might recommend it, but it's generally unneeded.

There are multiple voice chat channels, but the most common one used is 'Proximity.' Basically like irl talking, and used to communicate and coordinate with friendlies around you.
    Squad and Platoon chat are for squads and platoons. Since a Platoon is of 2+ squads, you will be able to use Squad chat while in a Platoon, as well.

For text chat, there are chat commands to help differentiate how information is said to whom. /regionsay communicates with every teammate in the same region (ie biolab) while /whisper X is used for specific teammates. A couple of examples are:

/regionsay There's a dude over on B point.
    /whisper xXPhatMommaXx Wanna help me take out the sneaker on B?

What you fell victim to was /yell which, erm, yells your message to everyone within 100 meters of you. Generally it's used for jeers towards the enemy, since they can read the message, too:

/yell Your tanks smell of doodoo!
    • Up x 1
  3. Giligan96

What you fell victim to was /yell which, erm, yells your message to everyone within 100 meters of you. Generally it's used for jeers towards the enemy, since they can read the message, too:

Thanks cobaltlightning! That explains why several enemies knew exactly where I was at! :oops:

What else are people using for headsets?

Just to add- I'm unfamiliar with chat commands as I'm new to PC gaming.
    Can I type: /yell cobaltlightning Good driving!!? Will this send a message directly to a particular person? I had met a harraser driver after doing some good gunning for him and wanted to send just him a message.
  4. kokocabana85

If you want to send a message to only one person you would use /whisper. You can whisper to allies and enemies.

So it would be /whisper Giligan96 nice driving
  5. MavCooL

Steelseries siberia is good... Using it for 4 years and still no problem...
    Any other headset of mine broke after 1 or 2
  6. Moz

I have a Sennheiser PC333D, had it for around 3 years now with no issues.
  7. ChUnKiFieR

Don't spend a lot of money on this. Any old microphone will work as well as any old set of headphones. I use a ten year old webcam mic and I bought a $30 set of comfy headphones. Scrounge your house. If you've lived there for a while you might already have this stuff laying around. I have friends who don't even use headphones for communications if you want to go that way. I have one buddy who uses his little sisters "My Little Pony" karaoke microphone on his computer.:cool:
  8. stalkish

I use this:
    http://www.plantronics.com/uk/product/gamecom-788
    Doesnt break the bank and the 7.1 provides a clear direction to the noise.
    Of course its not real 7.1 surround but the direction is bang on.
  9. SeniorChief

Yea send me sixty dollars and go to Walmart for a good headset for 20 and very good one for about 30. I have a logtec think was around 20 bucks( wired works great) another idea if comp blue tooth. go to Verizon and get wireless head set for about 30
  10. SeniorChief

There are several chat apps out there to talk with outfit out of game you could also just use the ingame channels squad plt outfit
    most large outfits have there own channels on either team speak or one of thers and use them in game to communicate with other Plt to coordinate efforts ever wonder why theres 20 air craft atting one base or why the nc and vs are so good when they roll in on you
    \
  11. Giligan96

I have one buddy who uses his little sisters "My Little Pony" karaoke microphone on his computer.:cool:

LOL!!

Ok, Thank You everyone for the feedback! I won't go too crazy on this. I would just like to be able to say something in prox if needed.(typing in the chat box is cumbersome for me-#slowtyper!)

See you on the field!!!
  12. Vodski

I use a logitech desk mic that I have had since 2004, and am on like my 6th set of headphones lol. It seems to work well, I feel you get better quality audio for cheaper if you buy a headset intended for listening to music.