Planetside 2 is dying.....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BrbImAFK, Feb 8, 2017.

1. MihaiMadrid

Too much downtime... NOT COOL.

The game is awesome, it's like crack... but guys... seriously, Let the game flow.
    Maintenance once every 2 weeks max. And when everyone is asleep :)
  2. BrbImAFK

If you're still playing the game, clearly it's not faulty enough, and so - unless you are literally unable to pay i.e. barely have money to eat - by not putting some money in (even if it's just buying a bit of DBG every month) you are a cheapskate.

Oh, I know, I know.... I DID say that this was just a whining-thread made out of frustration. I know that maintenance and patching are necessary, it's really just a way of letting the devs (who should be reading their own gorram forum!) know that the large amounts of extended downtime lately are annoying their paying customers.
  3. Morgothic

Well, it is dying. That is why daybreak is running it. They buy games that are no longer profitable and try to squeeze out the last drop of money buy cutting costs. Don't be surprised if the planetside2 "team" concists of 3 or 4 people and the server is located in someones basement. In the industry such companies are common and there is even a name for it that escapes me at the moment. Basically a company that you dump an older game (often an mmo) on or someone that you let run the less profitable marked of the game.

This game is going nowhere because thats neither profitable nor part of the buisiness model. The last best hope for this game to re-aquire a following again would have been to repromote it with the PS2 launch and hope console players would go check out the PC version (because mouse and keyboard will always be superior) however since this game hasnt really had a major update since day one it will continually leak players and becuase of how it runs (up to a 1 second of cleverly disquised delay, server downtime, connection problems, poor optimization) its unlikely to attract any new players because most would concider it unaccaptable. In fact the game runs so badly the poor server performance is concidered a balancing factor for certain weapons (like the new knives). Have you ever seen that anywhere before?

Basically it was all down hill from when Daybreak took over and well know it. In a not so distant future I bet we will be able to buy "pilfered" weapons from other factions and thats when we will know the severs are about to go down forvever. It may not be anytime soon, but you can bet its been up for discussion.

If it wasnt for daybreak though the game probably wouldnt exist anymore.

There are many games out there that have stayed alive for a long time, but they all have one thing in common and that is that they have constantly renewed themselves. This was never the plan for PS2 but if you really want the game to keep running, try to invite some friends to play it.
  4. Navariosauro

Game has 2 much ***** HäxxorZ (<--mäd cuZ bäd), 2 much Lags nothing special new in ages (construction sUxX major ***) allmost every patch / balance update suxx even more major *** making (yeah I love it playing for 10 minutes continet lock down another 20 minutes later next lock --> rage quitt) the game less fun every time. Now new implants coming around I'm not going into that mess. And so on and so on...mÄn i'M so salty and mad and bäd ;(

But hey we have this dude called wrel and nightbreak. They sure will do great things such like ******* up night vison nerving this and that and nerving everything into oblivion :)
  5. VecoolGaming

Hmm the way i see the game has lots of potential, endless stuff to do very addictive and fun.

i feel the game is hard to balance out, 3 faction with different weapons & vehicles! and each one expel at different scenarios and one being least used cause the scenario where that weapon is useful is non existing somehow, thats the price of having empire specific stuff, too balance this i wish all the luck for the devs :D

im not against the empire specific stuff actually its more immersive and fun.

still one of the best free 2 play models after LOL, and warframe

i wish all the best for the game, keep balancing things out but guys every day is downtime lol how u suppose players will play ur game in there busy schedule if u take 2-4 hours of gameplay away (not good for new players & returning players)
  6. Ragnarox

I am not playing this game cause its faulty. And if you say so yes I am cheapskate, game not running good on my machine while everything else runs perfectly, so I leave you to pay for faulty product that I am leeching. Just read what Morgothic wrote and you will realize something about this game, maybe, but you are still a donkey :)
  7. BrbImAFK

Sooo..... you're not playing the game... you just hang around the forums to whine about stuff and I'M the donkey? Mirror, mirror, on the wall......

As for what Morgothic wrote... I know that PS2 isn't what it used to be. I know it never achieved what it could have. I know the dev team is tiny. I know there are problems with the game, and I know that there are things about it I don't like. I know that PS2 is on life-support and will probably stay that way until they shut it down. But, as long as I still have a decent time playing the game, as long as I still have some fun, NONE OF THAT MATTERS!

It would be great if things could improve. It would be great it they could fix all the problems. It would be great if they do everything they said they would in the recent producer's letter (which gave me a teeny-tiny spark of hope). I honestly don't really think they're going to pull it off. But the fact remains that, as long as I'm enjoying the game enough to keep playing, as long as I have the disposable income to afford it, if I'm playing the game, the devs deserve to get paid.

It's that simple. And claiming otherwise is the action of a selfish, entitled, childish, cheapskate.
  8. Morgothic

Regardless of reason for not paying. If those players werent around for us to fight with they game would get old fast so I'm grateful that there are such players around. Personally I think the game is more fun if you buy a couple of things every now and then so I went with that. These days I spend very little on the game compared to what I used to. The reason being I doubt PS2 will be around for much longer.
  9. Morgothic

The exception being Russians of course, who I doubt are paying much. The just add a bunch of delay and makes things more ****** overall. Merging Cobalt was the worst decision they ever did and its impossible to undo unless they are moved forcefully.
    • Up x 1
  10. LarryTheBozo

Not enough $ in the 'play for free' business model to keep the game servers running...... who knew?
  11. baka

I've had a sub for a couple years now - but I also play EQ and used to play DCUO. I'd rather support a game I want to play rather than just going the free route, but my sub only has maybe 40 days left and I am just not sure about extending right now.
    PS2 is fun for the most part and I can't think of anything comparable to play - just wish it could get a DX11, 12 or Vulkan update!
    EQ has definitely aged, but the progression server is fun. There is a looming threat which may kill it outright - not sure how much Daybreak population will be gone at that point.
  12. SmellyWilly1965

How is this game always down when I try to log in after lunch? Why are they still investigating after two weeks? Somebody need to get fired.

I occasionally have an fps issue, like when both sides are 96+ but one side has 70% of the pie chart and my map is nothing but red dots. That's the only time I get 5 fps instead of 100+
  13. BrbImAFK

Please expand.... that's kinda a worrying comment! o_O
  14. Rorshack

If you are reading what Morgothic writes about this game in these forum posts it's easy to see why you feel the way you do. Morgothic posts are all negative about this game. I tend to formulate my opinions based on my own experience with whatever game i'm playing. PS2 is unlike any other MMO that I have encountered with it's epic battles and huge terrain, playstyle selection, vehicle and weapon selections on and on and on....far more than any other game that I have personally played. It has it's moments of updates and patches of course.....LIKE ANY OTHER GAME! I am actually surprised the game runs and plays as well as it does.

I have had gameplay issues in the past and yes they are frustrating, but for the most part it was due to a software conflict on my part or hardware issue on my end and not on the games side. After updating my system I have never experienced any issues during gameplay at all. In fact the only problems I have had with the game are some of the prima donna players and cheaters and whiners. But they exist in every game unfortunately and that is just the way it is. Fortunately they can be easily taken care of in a variety of methods.

Bottom line is if you don't have anything nice or positive or constructive to say about anything.......please ****! :) (shut the front door)...lol
  15. SmellyWilly1965

sounds good to me, this game only exists because there's nothing else in the genre and everybody that tried cut even MORE corners than this one did, and nothing, I repeat, nothing, does more good for a game than competition.
  16. baka

Sorry, not a looming threat against PlanetSide 2 - but against EverQuest. I do not know how many players EQ still has, but there are a lot of paid accounts. Many of these paid accounts only exist to sell loot to the lesser number of "playing" players. Many of those who want to play will leave for the alternative and the other accounts will not have people to pay for their loot. With no reason to keep those accounts active.......
    It seems like there are more accounts playing EQ than there are playing PS2, so a big loss of player there will have an effect elsewhere.
    Not posting the alternative to avoid annoying the powers that be.
  17. Morgothic

Another major failure in game design that I'm sure helped kill the game early on is the fact that the game rewards having a bad internet connection. Another thing thats inexcusable. I mean that litterarily - try overloading your connection and people will have a really hard time hitting you. Thats one of the reasons the game got a reputation of being a cheaters paradise (which it also was to some extent). The crook is how the game "smoothens" out lag. I'm sure that youve noticed how people keep running forward at the speed they were moving in when the server crashes or freezes but that you can still shoot them. Now imagine having a high ping connection and running in to a room. You will be able too shoot people before theycan see you. Thats also why some players seem to kill you in one hit or why some automatic weapons seem to hit you like a shotgun or sniper rifle- on that players end they shot you a long time ago and you die when that information is relayed, this sometimes happen as soon as someone appears on your screen.

In most other FPS games having a bad connection would be severly punnishing because the faster connection will let the player react faster.

This is, among other things, why its such a bad thing to have russians playing with europeans.