Tonto?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EvilWarLord, Feb 2, 2017.

1. EvilWarLord

I have around 1,425 certs, Is the New Carbine any good?
  2. LaughingDead

600 RPM with a 143 damage model.

Put into perspective, EM1 is 659 rpm with 143 damage out to 20 meters on the heavy and ITS bad.

No. Not unless you're going for the sam helmet.
  3. Corezer

They say it's for "bursting" with, which I find laughable seeing as every other carbine bursts every 3-4 shots and this one fires it's 7th shot with the cone of other guns on their first shot (ADS moving) but it sucks in the end. The other NSX guns have some unique feature that makes them viable against normal guns when used a certain way (headshots on the tamoe for instance) but this one just falls way short up close where the accuracy doesn't make a difference (and where carbines belong) and at range there's a long range carbine with equal starting CoF and more damage per shot I can pull, or even other long range carbines will win out in things like velocity/drop/DPS/Damage/reload speed

It's just a grind for the award...
  4. EvilWarLord

If its for bursting why isn't there a Select fire mode O-o?
  5. Corezer

Well they say it's for bursting because of the greater bloom per shot, but the thing is by the time you overtake any other gun in the CoF department your target will already be dead lol
  6. entity009

Like all NSX weapons it is situational. The pinpoint hipfire accurate rewards snap-fire headshotters (like we need more of that) but the damage overall is not as high as other carbines. The gun is good if you are awesome at pinpoint hipfire headshots, its sub par in just about any other circumstance. It will heavily punish you if you try to hold the trigger down and mag dump cqc.

I ,sadly, picked the EM-6 as one of my 5 lmgs to arax. It was a long road. While the damage model of the carbine is similar it has much better stability and performance in ADS fire. The gun is accurate ADS but it is not designed for that purpose and ,though it will serve, it will not outshine long range carbines.
  7. Moz

WTF >.<
  8. Eternaloptimist

Yes, well they did originally say the NSX weapons would be more challenging to use and aimed at experienced players IIRC.

Low RPM and low TTK but better accuracy at all ranges seems to be the NS weapon trait generally. The accuracy trait for the Tanto jsut seems to be more situational, is all.

I'm not tempted myself.
  9. Liewec123

if you've tried Tomoe your experience with that weapon will pretty much be the experience you have with Tonto,
    its a headshot weapon, if you aren't getting headshots it will be "ok" but if you're good at headshotting then it will be amazing.
    its a 4 headshot kill with pinpoint accuracy while moving full speed hipfiring, in the right hands it is godly.
  10. Corezer

but there lies the difference

with the tonto, if you aren't getting headshots it sucks, and if you are it is still garbage.

at the range I will be doing "snap hipfire headshots" with this thing I can be doing it with a lynx or a jaguar and be more effective. Forget better, there is no situation where the accuracy even makes it on par with other choices.
  11. Liewec123

then we disagree. :)
  12. entity009

You should go to vr and test the gun. It is capable of landing hipfire headshots at a much greater range than any carbine. Over the course of 5 rounds it goes from pinpoint accurate (like litterally all 4 of the reticule points are touching) to smg hipfire accurate. Even the tightest spread hipfire carbine is much less accurate for the initial burst.
  13. GuhMaster2512

The advantage is that is has no moving cone of fire for both hip fire and aim down sights. If you have good aim, it is easier to land headshots down range because you can land a 5-6 round burst in a pretty small location.
  14. CaptCran

Once I'm done with the TRAC-SHOT I'll give it a throw. 549 kills to goo_O
  15. Ziggurat8

It really seems bad if you run some numbers with it. You'll basically need a 60% or higher HSR for it to have a TTK that is competitive.

If you're that good a shot, then pretty much all the other carbines will still absolutely dominate it.

I'm sure exceptional players will kick *** with it. But will it actually be a better weapon than its peers in their hands? Not likely.
  16. Lord_Avatar

Do you mean its moving COF is the same, as its standing COF?
  17. Neo3602

yes
  18. Ziggurat8

Its first shot COF is the same while moving or standing still 0.0.

Pretty sure it has different values of COF bloom based on movement. It blooms faster while moving vs standing still.
  19. Lord_Avatar

Gotcha. Thanks.
  20. Eternaloptimist

If you have good aim, can hipfire well and can aim for the head, the Tanto has some decent advantages (provided you burst fire 6-7 bullets max).

I am average at best and I got the same result aginst stationary targets with no nano in VR Training using regular carbines with advanced laser sights, and with ADS at longer range using the awsomely accurate burst carbines.

Basically, experienced players will get some advantage but in a straight gunfight where the bad guy is nano'd up, jumping around and shooting back I'm not sure the Tanto will help you more than any other low RoF, low TTK NS primary.