Make HIVEs secure all capture points in a Hex

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Diilicious, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Diilicious

soo yea, pretty simple way to make bases a main part of the game instead of some useless sidegrade, it would also solve the issue of people building massive bases that go unused or unasailed until the person logs off / the core goes neutral.

If a Hive built in an area would auto secure all capture points of any base they are in the same hex as, so you would then HAVE to engage and destroy the constructed base in order to progress down the lane.
  2. TrolKabu

I've proposed something similar in this thread : https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/base-building-discussion.243471/

Here is an extract for convenience :
    • Up x 1
  3. Liewec123

that could be an idea actually (even though i hate the stalemates that can come from player bases, i hate continent lock more)
    they could remove the victory point thing and instead make hives a tool to keep a base contested :D
  4. Slamz

Stealing from both of you, how about this:

You build a HIVE. If you own the sector it's in, you get a module for the HIVE.

As long as that module is alive, that base is ALWAYS captureable. It bypasses normal lattice rules. So if the enemy zerg wants to capture the base and bypass your HIVE, they can, but they'll be leaving themselves open to recapture. They must destroy the HIVE to really secure the base.
  5. Eternaloptimist

I never got into construction so I could be missing something fundamenatal but here goes anyway:
    • HIVES already seem to have too heavy an influence on continent locking due to granting VPs;
    • Making them auto capture adjacent bases would also increase VPs wouldn't it?
    Continents lock way faster than they used to, or so it seems to me because of the number of times I've had a promising or enjoyable fight crash due to continent lock. And then there is the dead period before a newly unlocked continent gets going. Generally I'm finding it hard to see this as a desireable proposal.

Sure, I realise that a lot of constructed bases appear to be deserted and / or are placed nowhere near the main battle zone atm, but not sure this is the answer. I've also seen bases that do come under attack either being near invulnerable or getting destroyed with ridiculous ease.

I'm sure this thread is an intelligent discussion about a real problem and maybe I'm just not getting it...............perhaps removing HIVE ability to generate VP just by existing (as Liewec 123 says) would make it more attractive.
  6. Slamz

I think that's part of the general proposal: _____ as a HIVE function that's an alternative to generating VPs, rather than an addition to it.

It feels to me like VP generation was an afterthought. "We should let players build bases. That'll be cool. [later] Okay now that's all in and working great! Now we need to give them a purpose. Uhhh... victory...points...?"

Personally my favorite types of bases to build are "Checkpoint Charlie" bases that straddle a road, especially at a chokepoint, and "forward fire bases" that support an attack and can be useful to stop a ping-pong effect in places that tend to go back and forth repeatedly. (Like Indar Excavation Site vs Quartz Ridge. That area is always a battle zone and a player base in between there can see a lot of action and help keep your team from getting quickly rolled back.)

But there's not a whole lot of incentive to build such a base. If anything, the fact that it attracts team attention just makes you run that many more ANT trips to refill the silo as people pull vehicles. Those edge bases are boring but easier to maintain.
  7. FateJH

If you believe that's what this suggestion is, I don't think that's correct. What Diilicious was saying is that the HIVE would lock regional ownership to its current owner (unless it has been compromised, no doubt). If a HIVE is established in the region of a given base, and that base is not contested, the capture points could not be contested until the HIVE is eliminated, as I understood that part of the suggestion.

Slamz said something further about capture the flag mechanics (traditionally, in PlanetSide, you call that "LLU") but I don't think the details are elaborated as well as OP's post about his proposal.
  8. LaughingDead

That just seems like cheese to a choke base.
    Take howling pass for example, not only would you have to kill the hive that took all the capture points to that base the instant it came up, but the base builders could've easily setup wall after unfun wall, along with turret after turret, you'd have to destroy the hive as soon as possible because if you didn't within 5 minutes, then you simply lose howling pass. 5 minutes out of the friggin blue at a base that could be well behind lines.

Not only that but if they capped it with a hive then you would still have to recap howling pass because a hive simply took it without any effort on the builders part.

The importance for hives would instantly skyrocket being able to bypass choke bases, which means more people would have to buy glaive which is a 1k cert investment a lot of people would never want to take. Imagine bases like "The pit" in survas area, or the hvar cliff, the tawrich bridge troll, there are so many base spots that can simply cheese the skywall that it's often a must have for fortified bases.
  9. doomedking517

Personally what i would prefer is something else.
    1: for hives to work, you have to place capture points. a hive can have anywhere between 1 - 3 capture points (depending on the amount of capture points on the actual base in the hex - reasons later)
    2: hives dont generate vp that automatically add to the factions count, they store them.
    3: when captured though capture points, vp turn to the attackers (thus if you have 30 vp stored up, you might just wanna take the base back).
    4: destruction of hive still possible (though not necessarily desirable)
    5: capture points can be captured by vehicles (in fact some points can be designated vehicle only, but they would need roughly a 5 meter area of no buildings - to prevent abuse)
    6: if a hive is in the hex, and active, the capture time for a base is roughly 3x as long (depending on base) if the hive belongs to defenders, however if its the attackers, its 3x as short.
    7: hive capture time is roughly 1/2 that of the original base (thus in the long run, the capture time may actually be shorter if you take the playermade).

this way, if you are dedicated in attack prebuilt bases, you can completely ignore player made bases, however this would by no means be efficient. secondly, attacking playermade bases are rewarding for you faction, as the stored vp goes to your team. the playermade bases parts are randomly distributed the attackers (so that they actually belong to the attackers) and are reset back to "public" use as opposed to say "squad only".

there is the problem of say a base being almost impossible to attack, though i also advocate making our glaive actually useful outside oof playermade bases, therefore there is more incentive to buy it. thoughts people?
  10. Eternaloptimist

Well, as I said, I'm not that familair with the HIVE/Construction thing so I could be reading more into it than is actually there. I was thinking of statements like "lose two territoriesto lose one VP" or "win one territory to gain one VP" that you get when you mouse over the VP box. So I assumed that making it easier to convert or hold territory would have an effect on victory conditions beyond the VP you already get for planting a HIVE.
  11. adamts01

cool idea