Remove the Vp System

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Merica4427, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Merica4427

please remove the victory point system, its horrible, adds nothing to the game besides trying to be like cod and being like cod wont get you more players, remove vp, enough with the nerfs to armor, if people don't like armor in the game, to bad, they can go play cod or you devs can ignore them when they cry about armor.
  2. adamts01

I think tanks should be tanky for sure. But there are some problems with no victory points.
    • What are you fighting for? Do you warpgate your enemy then stop? Hold them there forever for no reason? Games need a winner, otherwise you don't have a game. So what would be the finale in your mind?
    • There isn't a big enough population to have a fight on 2 continents, and definitely not 4. There needs to be a way to shift players around to different maps.
  3. Necron

Tanks are tanky, one HA is not going to kill a tanks unless it is asleep... or he's driving a Vangaurd or something. The problem I see is that most tankers think their tanks should be immune to infantry damage, yet are fine with farming infantry for mad certs. Methinks thou doth protest too much.
    • Up x 1
  4. Liewec123

am i missing something?
    i came here to agree that Victory Points are a bad idea because all they do is lock continents and end fights,
    also a large portion of the players log off when a good continent locks, this is extremely bad for the game.

instead we got some weird rant about armour vs infantry...
    huh? o_O
  5. FateJH

Well, you see:
    This comment was obviously more compelling that the one about VPs to the above players. I agree, to be honest, but I'll also appease your combatativeness.

In as far as logging off when a continent locks, if I may use anecdote, that's entirely subjective to what I should be doing. If an Alert were active but almost over, and I needed to log off (for sleep or such), I would wait until the end of the Alert then log off. If the same conditions were applied to a near continent lock, I often wait until the continent locks. Same with base captures. Even then, if the end of the event took much too long, I'd leave anyway. Without that time-extending event, however, I would have just logged off far earlier. In the end, it's just a boundary that I will am willing to wait out.

It feels like that is how a nontrivial number of people I know play. In the end, people have to log out at some point and, if there's an imminent something to which they can wait, I'm willing to bet they're willing to play only that much longer for it.
    • Up x 2
  6. Eternaloptimist

I'm not sure that I agree the VP system is overall bad. But I do feel that Hives are too influential in earning VP.

I agree with Necron (above) about tanks, mostly. There are a couple of infantry counters if you can deliver them (AT mines and C4) but other than that infantry are dead meat to a tank.
  7. DeadlyOmen

8. The Wolf

Okay so here are the problems with your "theories" as I am going to list below.

1. We didn't have VP back in CB, early OB. We fought to take bases and lock a cont for our faction to gain better footing on another cont.
    2. We had a low pop and we still managed to fight on 2-3 different conts and lock them down.
  9. Ziggurat8

On PS4 we've had Victory Points for a very long time. We also have no construction so VP is only earned by captures.

VP's are awesome on their own.

They drive the war machine. A good commander looks at the map figures out where and what needs to be done and then goes about making it happen. It makes targets unique and worthwhile. It makes a concentrated push towards an objective worthwhile instead of just the mindless zerg to the next base (the best commanders zerg herd to try and make them the same). It makes being a commander far more influential to the game. Convincing forces to push up a lane because if we get that last biolab we WIN is awesome, or organizing a joint task force to snatch double WG VP's while the other 2 factions zerg it out at the crown like noobs.

Same thing with defending. TR has 8 VP and are heading for our WG! If we don't stop them now they'll get the last VP and the base capture VP to lock the continent!

It makes Alerts worth while. VS might have 5VP and NC has 9 and is about to lock the continent but if we can just hold out for 18 minutes we can win the Alert and bonus VP will lock the continent!

Overall VP add a lot more to the game then they take away. It's unfortunate that the capture VP on PC is watered down by HIVEs. I'm hoping they come up with something better before construction comes to PS4.
  10. stalkish

Played for an hour the other day, experienced 3 cont locks.
    Tell me again why im not playing battlefield? or Call of duty? or World of Tanks?
    Those games only last about 20 mins and lets face it, they run far far better than bugside 2 and are balanced (for the most part).

The reason i play this game but dislike the others is due to the round based games, its due to the action being cut off for some seemingly unseen reason. Planetside is supposed to be a persistant world, an everlasting war. The players are supposed to create the action, the fights, the progression or not.

Deflated is the only feeling i get when a cont locks, and ive personaly caused a lock on more than 1 occasion. Its always a shame to destroy an active intense fight, afterall thats what this game was advertised as being, and what it was supposed to be.

I dont think this vid would have ben improved with 'this continent has been locked by.......' popping up on the screen half way through...
  11. Inzababa

And how do you think the game was won before the VP? You do realise it's was introduced at the end of 2015?
  12. Ziggurat8

That's crazy. Cont lock takes a minimum of an hour or more on PS4. I would say other than Hossin they typically last at least 2 hours, ALERTS do get interupted once in a while but it's usually the end of the Alert causing the lock.

As for unseen, players on the VS on my server play to the victory points. It's one of the best ways to earn XP. Most squad leaders and platoon leaders have the VP's in there mind when they start selecting the next offensive or defensive target. I suppose for single players just going for the biggest battle on the continent it might seem kind of random.

PS4 doesn't have HIVES. Every single VP comes from a capture. (Maybe another reason PS4 is the better game?) Looking at the map will pretty much always tell you where the next VP is coming from and how much time is left on that capture before the final VP locks the continent. If the player cares he can actually try to influence that fight for offense or defense. It gives more to the purpose of singular battles then how many guys can I shoot there.