Welcome to Whineside 2, have a nice day.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tankalishious, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Tankalishious

Holy crap, this is a game, nothing more. People are crying like it was some sort of balance issue in a real life hunger games.....
    Yes, devs try new things, yes they buff and nerf stuff...
    If you think they cater to your every need, you need to get a f..king grip on life. Planetside 2 is a huge game where you can do a million things, if some nerf hit you so bad but others make it work fine, you need to look at your gaming. Or just do something else....

There are more serious and important things to life than a game.
    • Up x 1
  2. stalkish

You seem to suggest that a computer game isnt worth whinning about, yet you're here whinning about people whinning about a computer game. o_O

Was it worth it?
    • Up x 8
  3. SolVector

The issue isn't that things have changed. The issue is that people have time/money invested in a feature that was removed, and unlike previous times this has happened, were not refunded. If I go to Taco Bell and order a burrito, I'd want a refund if they gave me nachos instead.
    • Up x 1
  4. pnkdth

Considering how long ESFs have been able to farm infantry in this way it is surprising it didn't happen sooner. As a pilot you now need to be more careful of overreaching(much like ground vehicles already are doing), scan the mini-map, and use your own allies to determine where to strike.

On the flip side, I've seen a lot more A2A battles and vehicle skirmishes.

When you look at Server Smashes it is hard to deny the sheer power the Air game holds. Whoever wins in the sky with the Server Smash. It sucks to lose some of that power, sure, but pilots also need to consider that all those names flashing by as you farm the everliving **** out of them are actual people trying to enjoy the game as well.

If we lose the occasional infantry farmer over this update, good, it will probably retain a lot more other players in their stead.
  5. Liewec123

people are passionate about things they enjoy,
    if noone is getting heated about changes then there probably isn't anyone who cares.

also we've said this a thousand times but if you're on about thermals, people aren't upset about the change its self,
    people are upset because the entire function shifted completely and there wasn't a refund.
    • Up x 1
  6. LaughingDead

That's what bloody happens in a combined arms game, you lose one entire branch then you DESERVE to lose the fight, if you lose air superiority, but have infantry superiority you can still lose because they have both airstrikes and infantry pushes while you only have infantry pushes, it makes sense.

Also farm, how many times have you actually died to A2G compared to other sources of death, personally, I've only gotten 2.7%, I'm asking friends to do this as well, because if you can't get over the 1/50 deaths being from an airplane then you might as well play Battlefield or CoD.
    • Up x 1
  7. Eternaloptimist

I agree there is a lot of whining in the forums....................it's a pretty harmless way to let off steam I guess.

The trouble is that people do want to rant when something they are really invested in (enjoyment, money, self image or whatever) changes in a way that takes it away from them.

It's a transient thing mostly - notice how the latest source of outrage kind to replaces the previous one? People get it out of their system, for the most part, and mostly move on.
  8. pnkdth

The argument behind a combined arms game falls flat on its **** the second you start comparing ground AA to Air A2G. At most I will annoy liberators as I momentarily interrupt their farm and unless I stick to the spawn room I will be dead within a few seconds.

Pilots lost their little easy mode farm, just deal with and get better.
  9. LaughingDead

If the entirety of your ground force counters air then it will counter air.
    For example, 3 skyguards verses, one full lib. Not a contest.
    (driver and gunners) Double walker bus verses full lib, can also be done.
    2 skyguards verses 2 esfs.
    In fact every single combination in between will also kill air, in fact. The only difference inbetween the situations is how good the gunners are and how coordinated are all the vehicles with other vehicles. You're just stupid if you think you can skyguard a lib, it makes no sense that a one man vehicle can take on a 3 man vehicle, the only problem here being is that the lib can be soloed and possible that tankbuster is possibly the best option out of all the noseguns so it is encountered the most often.

In fact I don't even need specialized units most of the time, I just run a topgun on my vanguard, of course I could be screwed by a lib, but in a game where literally everything can react to everything else, it's a problem with me not being near my team or coordination. The reason why you never seem to kill with your skyguard is either you're near absolutely nothing of value for the team you're on, not near your team or your team does not assist you (This is the nice way of saying not bad aim). In a world where it just takes 3 heavies to pay attention to kill an esf outright then there should be no ESFs unless it's a small fight, the thing is this is a problem with coordination the same way you would blame bad aim on a br 1 noob verses a br 120, the same can be said if it is not a group effort to keep the area controlled. The same way a light can flank around and deck 5 people from behind because some stupid infil didn't put up a spotter is the same as everyone with an AA lockon or a way to damage air completely being unaware that air is killing them.

In fact the way I see it, only one guy gets pissed off at ESF, tries solo rocketing it but fails because no other person is helping, yet suddenly as soon as the ESF pisses off 2-3 people, those people pull AA and kill or make the ESF never want to come back. If you say that never happens in a fight then you're either blind to your teammates or never fly.

in fact in fact infact infactinfdinainr.
    I gotta work on my intros.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pikachu

Whineside 2
    Nerfside 2
    Cryaboutwhatkilledyouside 2

Any other names you can remember over these years?
  11. pnkdth

I prefer Upside 2, but maybe that's because I'm an optimist.
    • Up x 3
  12. Haquim

Thats like saying that MAXes are invincible because they punch you in the face everytime you knife them.

Pull an ESF and try to farm in an area with a skyguard. Thats 350 nanites vs 350 nanites. Then tell me how "momentarily" your farm got interrupted and how ineffective it is at taking you down.

EDIT/PS: It doesn't count when you're flying in a whole swarm of ESFs, except if there are comparable numbers of skyguards.
    It should be only you trying to farm while the skyguard tries to prevent that.
  13. YoungPedro

Let's not forget that you could strap thermals on more than just airplanes. Why would I need a vehicle highlighting optic on my kobalt?
    • Up x 1
  14. DeadlyOmen

Crybabies cry. It's what they do.
  15. The Rogue Wolf

This change doesn't really concern me (I don't die much to air and I don't think I ever unlocked a thermal scope) so I'm just keeping my mouth shut about it.
    We had an Everquest Next; do you think we might get an Upside Down?
  16. zaspacer

Agreed. Specifically with "it" being the heavy nerfing of ESF A2G and ESFs in general.

Yes. Putting it mildly.

Outside of clear farming situations, ESFs always wanted to incorporate such things. But now with the one-two punch of radical ESF Infantry sensory deprivation + ESF AV claw trimming, the need to rely on these things has become essential.

Maybe A2G ESFs will move to Engagement Radar as a way to be self-reliant again in being able to scout out an enemy foot print. Rather than the old method of fly near with naked eye scan for Vehicles, then flyby with Thermal to assess Infantry battlefield enemy factors, with Fire Suppression and routes to break line-of-sight ready as needed.

I've seen confused and contained Air bunched up behind the frontline, that then chews up enemy Air that wanders (or tries sorties) into range. Or that spills over into Gank Squad attempts away from frontline pressure.

I have a hard time embracing or valuing broader Server Smash tactics in the Standard Game. Heck, I have a hard time embracing or valuing Server Smash tactics in the Server Smash Game.

First, I find Server Smash tactics toxic. Server Smash gameplay is defined by dumbed-down, paint-by-numbers, strategically stunted, environmentally protected, exclusive access, crutches. They are like giving Olympic runners mopeds.

Second, Server Smash gameplay is rarely and infrequently appearing in the Standard game. And when it does, it's by a handful of isolationist tryhards, popping up for half a blink, in some sort of Gal Drop-like effort, that typically either succeeds at overkilling a Ghost Cap OR ends up a squashed bug on the windscreen of The Zerg.

Lesson: giving Olympic runners mopeds does not encourage (1) Olympic runners to become creative in developing their running technique, or (2) average Joe non-Olympic runners to start using mopeds in their running.

I fully agree that the ESF A2G farming was a mess. I also think the learning curve and skill/experience floor on practical ESF usage was a mess (leading to too few people being able to get into the Air/ESF game).

But so far I greatly dislike the one-two punch of nerfing Air and nerfing Ground AV. At least until the dust settles and maybe players can work out new methods to make the affected units more functional.

And so far, these changes have also effectively strip away a lot of combined arms (and reason to use more of the Units), in a combined arms system that incorporated specific hard counters to make combined arms choices matter. And I also hate that they left in place many of the units that were already dominating in some engagement types. And they continue to leave in place the formal/informal reward systems that motivates Zerging empty bases and double teaming the most hamstrung Faction. All leading to a dumbed-down game of fewer units, simpler blunt tactics, and a greater emphasis on Zerging Harder to get results.

So far, I've seen a lot of MBTs and Sunderers pounding each other on the Lattice until one side Zergs Harder. Then HAs and some LAs pounding each other in a Base until one side Zergs Harder. I didn't see the point to spawn as an ESF, any need to do AA, the ability to setup impactful Infantry range AV, etc.

Maybe all this changes once the dust settles. Once players adjust to not using the old Loadouts/Tactics on the affected Units. Once players figure out new ways to use affected Units in combined arms, counter gameplay roles. But I am inclined to let others figure all that out and then get into the game more after that dust has settled. I am not digging the idea of meticulous testing and wasting time trying to figure it out, especially since there will likely be other major changes to the same stuff to further the nerf, or to other stuff in the mentioned "new infantry to vehicle interaction we’ll be moving toward in the coming days."

I also run into a lot more of either dominating other Infantry or them dominating me, in this non-flanking, non-counter gameplay (I am not a fan of either one). All based on dodge and aim, and very little based on positioning or surprise. Kinda similar my complaints about the ESF experience. I'd say that's a side issue, but the new gameplay seems to be forcing more of that type of experience becoming the standard situation in the game.

We'll have to see. If this is whatever massive numbers of players rally to and the game swells with players, I can live with it. Even if it ends up no longer being the game I want to play, I will at least like that it broke through to being popular for the average player.
    • Up x 1
  17. TheMish

Personally I think this is the best FPS I've played in my life, and it's only getting better and better.
  18. adamts01

This game is like two streams of piss each trying to overpower the other. But the piss is a zerg, and whoever brought the most beer to drink (HAs and LAs) wins. There's no pissing from flanks, maybe sneaking in behind enemy enemy lines for some small squad covert pissing. Nope, just straight up, mindless pissing. Half of the time right in to the wind, and no one cares. No matter if you're on the winning side or the losing side, there's just piss everywhere. This sucks.
    • Up x 1