[Suggestion] Yell Chat should be removed

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Juno, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Daigons

Some days it reminds me of the Ye Olde Barrens Chat.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  2. Juno

An option to disable it completely would be a good idea. Currently all you can do is switch to the Squad tab but that also hides Region (and I think Orders) chat. Which isn't a good alternative.
  3. Scifi

There shouldn't be a proximity chat, it should be for all your team only.
  4. D.M.B.-681

Where is a /region command for that.
  5. RainbowDash9

so i take it that "dont read it" isnt an acceptable response for you?

I talk to people cross faciton all the time, whether it be about random internet things, or questions about performance (because thats ALWAYS a hot topic for this game). it does far more good than harm. sure you get the usual internet ******** (my friend insists on calling everyone who kills him a virgin just for the lulz) but its still nice being able to talk to everyone, not just people on your side.
  6. Eternaloptimist

Personally, I either do not notice the chat going on or I enjoy reading it. When I do take notice, it is either because something interesting or informative has been said or, most times, I simply enjoy judging people by what they are saying or silently correcting their grammar :).
  7. Kcalehc

No, I don't find the image 'pleasing' it evokes no emotional response whatsoever (honestly I just don't get 'art' at all). I'd hang it on my wall if I owned it, people would probably say it looks nice, but I wouldn't buy it. Same with the yell chat, I'm largely indifferent to it; as I realize that the opinions of those speaking are utterly irrelevant to me and so do not deserve any emotional response. Most of the time I don't even read it anyway, I'm busy playing the game.

And there you go getting all upset over some harmless banter (there's no tongue-in-cheek font alas)! I don't feel that was derogatory, merely a convenient and well known catch phrase for the way some people like to live their lives separated from bad words - and there are those people; and they should have the option to do that (hence why I agreed with the 'turn it off in settings' option).
  8. brutes359

as a ps4 planet side 2 player I find myself agreeing with this post. yes the chat was made for use in command systems and could be a valuable tool for its purpose....if it was used for that purpose. but as it is the chat is NOT used for that purpose. I see little if any tactical chatter but I do see plenty of trash talk. frustrations in the game are already high. and more often then not all I see filling the chat box is a continuous steam of violent threats, insults, and other useless spam that really does not help the team in any way. having options such as this promote poor sportsmanship in video games which is a factor that any game should be working to combat. so yes. I think it should be removed. or at least be given a way to turn it off as it tempts far too many players to vent their frustrations on other players.
  9. No0T

Look at the sheep shouting to be silenced...
  10. OgreMarkX

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

-- C. S. Lewis
  11. Diilicious

ive actually found the opposite ingame to be honest, most yell chat is inane banter with no direction or meaning. and we are playing a game not fighting a war i will remind you.

I find my PM inbox to be about a billion times more toxic than Yell chat could ever even hope to be.
  12. Imperialguardsman

I think this is a horrible idea, but I think this opens up a relevant topic of allowing all faction proxy chat. If we're to allow that, everyone around the world of planetside could sing kumbyeyah together on all factions. I would be able to stop enemies with my voice alone and than shoot them down in glee.
  13. Wafflepancake

I present to thee - cross faction marco polo

[IMG]
    [IMG]

I made quite a lot of friends using /yell.
    Also a lot of friendly community banter here and there.
    Its all dependent on the type of players around and what you can do to foster a good community.
    • Up x 3
  14. OgreMarkX

/yell chat cracks me up. It's like watching a comedy show while playing a game.

On Connery, we alert other players when we are #TRIGGERED and we've declared certain bases as #SAFESPACES. Plus I get to ridicule NC for being PBR-drinking-hillbillies TK'ing each other while drunk at the vanguard wheel and I get to remind TR to please mop up left over sweaty yoga mats and chakkra balls after we take a base from the VS.

ps OMG Marco Polo Guy, you get 109 FPS? OMG! I get like, 30 FPS. My PC...is so....Atari.