How are stalkers supposed to deal with indoor large fights?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Sharkasaur, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Sharkasaur

I'm starting to get the hang of stalker, at least generally when there's enough room to sneak around and flank.

But I'm having a hell of a time with indoor fights. I'm not even talking about just biolabs, whenever it's 48v48+ on an indoor capture point, I basically find it impossible to do anything. Literally every entrance and every angle is covered, and I can't seem to find any way to get close enough. If by a measure luck I somehow make it inside, decloaking is guaranteed death and I can only hope to get a single kill with bolt+knife before I'm gunned down.

Would love to know how fellow stalkers approach this problem. I really, really don't want to switch to heavy.
  2. breeje

unless you're a top tier player, you stay away from large indoor fights
    the best you can do is fight on the outside of the base or change classes

first you try to get comfortable with a HA, medic inside those fights
    if it works out try the smg infill inside those fights before trying your stalker
    and if you fight inside with your stalker then play aggressively
    watch some CuteBeaver video's to see how she plays and watch how you need to act inside large fights

• Up x 1
  3. SarahM

Grab an infantry terminal and support your side with recon dart spam. Stay outside and watch for flankers. Other than that, what breeje said.
  4. Sharkasaur

Thanks breeje.

I already do well in those fights with heavy/LA/medic/smg infil on other characters. I started a stalker-only character to make myself to learn every aspect of this "subclass".

I don't have problems with any base that has a healthy amount of indoor/outdoor mixture, such as Ti-Alloys/Crown or towers. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to do anything on those small single point bases with only 4-5 entrances, where both teams are just camping those few doors and walking through them is instagib. Now I don't expect any lone individual to be able to just breach the building, but classes with primaries can at least plink through the doors and play the adadad game to land some kills.
  5. Corezer

switch to NAC and grab an SMG?

be glad u have an option within your class to change your ability to something more suitable, others don't.
  6. SixNineFour

Don't go alone and use recon devices.

Follow others around, but keep your distance. Engage enemies that are already being shot at while you are in cover. Place AI mines along the way - almost guaranteed kills.

Small obstacles like fences and boxes are your friends as most people don't focus much attention to those and you can jump quickly into cover from them.

Also, explore the edges of buildings. Those small 2 floor buildings can have up to 12 entrances. Not just the doors, but also the windows. There are small ledges around those buildings that you can walk on and a few around the stairs inside.

Simply sitting on the edge of the cap point can decide the fight because the other team needs one extra person to affect the timer and they become quite vulnerable to your allies if they decide to look for you.
  7. Scudmungus

There are no 'sub classes'. There are classes, with tools. You mix and match as the context demands.

If your outfit needs eyes, simply bringing darts/motion spotter is already a boon. Other than that? Well, sure we can try and make the Stalker into a CQC killing machine but in reality, we're trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. Sure you can net kills, but are those kills counting towards the win? Are they consistent? Do they respond to the demands of the SL?

Luckily with a variety of tools to choose from, allowing us to adapt. Folks harassing your outfit from the peripheral? Sharpshooter - pick your rifle of choice. Sweeping room by room? SMG/scout rifle. Each to their own.

But let's face it - 'large' indoor fights typically signal where Zerg A has clashed with Zerg B. Better to equip flak and pull a HA/CM/Max with an Engie friend. Let the explosive fly!

..meanwhile, we're taking out their spawns and pressuring their flanks.
  8. Sharkasaur

the impression I'm getting from both repeated in-game deaths and here on the forum seems to be unanimously "switch loadout".

oh well...stalker is still incredibly fun, I'll just have accept that it can't be useful in all bases.

edit: I think the new Tomoe will be borderline OP for these peek-a-boo indoor fights
  9. Scudmungus

It really depends on what we agree is a indoor large fight. 48+ vs 48+ throwing bodies onto a point? It's less about specific class choice and loadout as it is keeping the momentum going with bodies, which means securing/taking out/locking down spawn locations wins the day - our zerg vs their zerg.

If we're talking smaller fights, perhaps a Gal vs a Gal and some bodies in change then sure, Stalkers work fine in room to room sweeps/holds. We can cover angles that would expose a squad mate to fire and ambush attackers from behind when they over extend. A blackhand is very well suited for such tactics as folks already know there's a squad up to mischief and we shouldn't be straying too far from our buddies if we intend to cover them (so no need for a suppressor). Plus it provides solid stopping power up to respectable range, assuming we can hit moving targets.

Back to the larger fights: If there's enough chaos, you can hop in and out taking opportunity shots against priority targets - sure we can always run and gun with an SMG or sharpshoot with a rifle, but with the Stalker cloak you can position yourself for more decisive strikes as needed. However, again, if we're referring to 48+ bodies on each side, lobbing nades and bodies on to a point then really, taking out those choice targets rarely influences the larger battle. Better to go for the/secure the spawns.
  10. Eternaloptimist

Haven't played stalker for a while but environments with lots of crossfire and 'nades going off were a complete nightmare. I used to track them back to their spawn point and kill a few while they were on the way back to the fight (too much target focus - they tended to be oblivious, run in nice straight lines, fail to look out for mines or even stop for a bit to assess the situation before plunging back into the fray). If they diverted to look for me I guess I was taking them away from the fight and so helping my side indirectly.

If my side was obviously losing without chance of recovery I used to lurk outside until the point flipped then recap it after a decent interval. Then chuckle to myself at the frustration of all those guys who fought so hard having to send someone back (hopefully to eat a claymore or two). I've pulled that trick 3 or four times in a row on the same point and seen them sending back increasing numbers of guys to run around shooting walls while I watched through a doorway from the nearby hill or field or other building.
  11. Kopulator

I've played stalker in large Biolab fights and I get the most kills by getting behind both the enemy front and secondary lines. Further, using Cute.Beaver's parkour guides, I've started to camp trees or other areas above eye level and either Blackhand or Crossbow snipe.

Also, many players now use Darklight Flashlights as standard attachments for sidearms, so being successful requires a the type of creativity that Cute.Beaver's guides bring to the table.
    • Up x 1
  12. Ximaster

Not only stalkers,hunters have difficulty too. Only if they play sniper ofc.

In my case,i play both. But everytime i play stalker i NEVER go inside a room alone. Inclusive if i have a good sidearm like NS ones.
  13. No0T

Ok my friend I almost NEVER sitch and al ays kill before dying... No if rather than stalk and choose hom to kill ich is EXACTLY hat you should be doing instead of trying to kill many since e are here to STALK better if it is the best enemy... THEN...

HAT NONE OF THIS HALF ******** SAID is you get a PUNCHING KNIFE ITH ADRENALINE BOOTS AND KNIFE THE **** OUT OF THEM...

I have killed 17 NC 21 VANU and 15 TR so far my records on a stalker raged massive assesination... ALL OF THEM in the same spot not taking 3 seconds in bet een a death and the next... I also killed entire commando drops of 5 all the time ith a convination of claymore and punching knife pluss nc mini shot gun or underboss.

THOSE are your T O option than none of this half it idiots managed to say... Some of them because THEY FEAR IT... and some of them because they are just dumb and like to speak.

NOOT not noot.... but NOT ith 2 Os.

From the top of my head.
  14. CuteBeaver

Indoor and point work requires a different mindset. Darklights have always been an issue since they were released. Key things to remember its much harder for you to hide successfully indoors then outdoors. Its harder for an enemy to search a forest with a darklight then a search a tiny room. Understand they will crack a darklight out the moment bodies start to pile up. (This should be common sense.) Its up to you to determine an escape route before things go sideways. Alternatively anticipate enemies will come back (once killed) and search the room they died in. Wait outside the room, hide in an unlikely location near approach of said room and while they are busy beginning their search at the entrance way, and knife them from behind.

I see FAR too many stalkers being sedentary. Learn to move quickly, change rooms, as you would when playing with an SMG. The best way to throw someone off is to simply haul *** and re-position. However unlike SMG users stalkers can really throw enemies off because we can just stop at any time and remain cloaked. We don't have to worry about constant decloaking and recloaking sounds which makes Stalkers exceptionally good at getting back into true stealth.

What gets most people killed is their unwillingness to concede a room, and creep/ haul ***/EMP + crossbow back into the room later. They simply do not move and do not make an effort to remain unpredictable. Once you make the first couple kills, move, hide find a new place to attack from. Understand eventually enemies are going to predict your movements too. Peace out when your positioning gets repetitive. I cannot stress EMP's enough for indoor work. Depending on weapon choice EMPs turns Stalkers into point clearing nightmares. Seize the initiative especially on corners. Use the 3 second multiple target ambush rule. Plan escape routes using cover objects. Stay with the flow of enemies as your escaping. Don't run upstream and get shot to bits.

Example when walking across a bridge, don't walk directly down the middle, walk on the side or near some type of cover object so if things go badly you can easily us cover, or in case of bridge drop down under the biolab bridge (near fan building). There is no reason to walk down the middle. Be smart have an escape measure ready.

Corners are so critically important. Inside rooms your reliant on something called "countering" a player who is chasing you. Imagine what they would do when taking a corner in pursuit of you. Its often possible for you to take a corner, back away and let them walk past you then open from behind. Essentially you have to be able to set traps. Not just with mines or spotters, but also using your own behavior to entice someone to follow and then either double back and take advantage of client-side using a corner (like a shotgun user would - depending on your weapon or knife) Or simply let the baited enemy walk past your corner and then as they begin shooting or making a tight turn trying to darklight you, open on the shoulder / pounce from behind. Ect.

Also remember an enemy isn't going to search a room twice. So if they darklight a corner try and get into position there. You can take advantage of assumptions and situations where enemies feel "safe".
    • Up x 2
  15. PanzerGoddess

nice cute. But being chased around corners, you have to pull the corner humping maneuver. Any good player your screwed regardless so you just go fist fight lol. Any other player round your corner and get ready to retrace your corner the second your enemy is about to come around, repeat while shooting lol, you will confuse them!!!!
  16. Eternaloptimist

I stay outside and catch them rushing to get back in after dying and respawning. Sometimes they pause at the doorway to check things out before rushing in. Being in a fangs out fight is no place for my stalker.
  17. Cancerion

I love my Stalker. I'm not the best player by any means.. but it is my favorite class. I just wish I could carry more than 2 AI mines.

When it comes down to Stalking indoor fights, I generally stay outside and use Recon Darts to identify their source location.. so, hopefully a friendly squad or two breaks off to regulate by flanking the trail of ants on their minimap. I can't make players do what I want but I can highlight the enemies ingress route and hope they get the message.

Also, I booby trap their route along the way to their spawn .. and pick off targets of opportunity as I see them. If i'm creating chaos in an otherwise "safe" area.. I'm doing my job.

There have been instances where i've been useful indoors in large fights.. but splash damage spam & friendly fire generally discourages that. I wish I could dance in and out of cloak stabbing sukkas like the all-stars, dodging HE & Scatter.. but every time I try i'm reminded I've only been playing for a month or so.. still have a lot to learn.
  18. BrbImAFK

Completely off-topic but...... that is an awesome siggy! Source?
  19. Dualice

In terms of entering such places in order to get behind the enemy firing line, a well-placed EMP can cause sufficient consternation in your foes to give you a window.
  20. SupaFlea

how are LA supposed to deal with long range fights over open terrain, improvise and adapt, There is always a way to be usefull to your team, in every class, it doesn't have to involve increasing your K/D.

When im Cloaker and i know i cant safely get inside i proved recon darts for intel and claymores to protect the flanks from enemy Infils. As my primary LA, I try my best to either take a long flanking maneuver to come up behind the enemy snipers or try luse vehicle to try and run me over while ive already dropped c4 in front of me ;)