how fair is the ps4. vs ps4 pro?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Flexaplex C, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Flexaplex C

I remember ones sony said. That there cant be improvements on the multiplayer side of the game like framerate advantages on the pro. Yet they make differences on this game? I have both machines. And i must say ps4 pro is prett nice . and the fps are around 40 to 60 fps most of the time. Atleasy very enjoyable to play. But on the regular ps4 it drops under 18 in very crowdy places. And thats not even close to enjoy.

For the people that dont know. U can see fp when u swipe into chat. And then typ /fps. And u will see the frames on the left mid side of the screen.

I really would like to know how they wont lose so many people playing if its 50 fps against 18...
  2. Ghoest

That frame rate thing refereed to games with set frame rates. Many games are capped at 30 for consistency.
    Planetside 2 alternatively is capped at 60 with the understanding that rates will drop from time to time.

In a game like Destiny with a capped rate of 30 when its played on a faster machine - the dev would have to intentionally reset the frame reate higher/
    But on PS2 which attempts to run at 60 all the time,the game will unavoidably perform closeer to design by giving it a faster processor.
  3. Flexaplex C

Ok but still. Why make a game on a console (regular ps4) that cant get the job done. 18 fps in big battles is just not playable.
    So my question is really. Why make this game on a platform that cant handle it. In my oppinion its just for quick cash.
    They know from start even though they said they where aiming for 60 fps it wouldnt be close.

So my oppinion is. They should have wait for the next gen instead. What they doing now is making all ps4 players have a big disadvantage over the pro. I have a pro and it plays much better . but would have liked competitive gameplay more on even machines. Thats where consoles where made for. To not worry about hardware and specs
  4. Stinky McFarts

No we spend $400 for better experience so that's what we should get.

Honest I sucked before getting Pro, and I still suck now. It's not going to suddenly change a noob into an elite player.

From Sony Pro official FAQ:

Q: Will PS4 Pro owners have a performance advantage in online games when competing against standard PS4 players?
    Generally, no. Playtesting and balancing is up to each game developer, and while it’s true that PS4 Pro’s more powerful hardware can drive smoother or more stable frame rates in supported titles, developers have many tools and processes they can use to prevent imbalances.

----//-----

They seem to try to hide the fact is up to Developers. And when customer pays $400 for an upgraded experience, Devs want to make sure they get best possible experience with their game.

PC gaming has dealt with this since 90s. Getting better pic quality and smoother isn't going to transform your skill, there's so much more to it!
    • Up x 1
  5. Jamuro

it never realy was a question of weather or not it can run it (in a for a fps acceptable fashion) ...

The only reason there is a ps4 version is because, well there wasn't realy an open world mmofps free to play shooter out there before.

Meaning it was a desperate attempt of soe (at that time) to branch out in an untapped market to save a product that was underperforming in a major way.

And as for waiting for another console generation ... just think back how long the ps2 and ps3 were a thing.

One of the major things consoles have is that they actually are cheaper than the hardware used in them ... which up until now meant that console generations were lasting quite some time (you get the money back over time trough the games you publish on your platform)

Waiting for a new console (back when soe made the decision to port the game) was like saying ... well we can make money now or in 5-10 years.

Not a big surprise why theydidn't wait-
  6. Ghoest

Im happy they rel
    Umm The obvious response is that if you havent found find the PS2 on PS4 experience to be enjoyable then you shouldnt play it(Its a free game so its not like you wasted money on it before trying it.).
    I for one am glad it was released even though like most games it isnt perfect. I have enjoyed it.
  7. Flexaplex C

First of all. I like the game. I play it on pc i play it on ps4 i play it on ps4 pro.
    I paid enough to say i could buy like 1 extra ps4 pro with the amount i paid.
    I am a subscriber on ps4 also so i pay a monthly fee to right now since its highly enjoyable on the pro.
    Its just not about that... Its about the way they went with consoles

Im not asking if you like the game or not.

Im asking if this is fair the ps4 vs ps4 pro. And since ido own the pro. I can tell you for me it is not fair.
    On the ps4 regular. You could just not hit a thing when it drops to like 18 fps while on my pro it stays above 45.
    So they kinda force you to buy a pro to be competitive.

Its like asking a ferarri to compete against a fiat.
  8. Ghoest

As i explained earlier - it cant be fair due to the nature off the way it works on PS4.

BUT

My last response wasnt to your request for fairness.

It was to your whine that it should not have been released on PS4 originally since it could not handle the its preffered framerate in some situations.
  9. Flexaplex C

Uhm, WTF u talk about?
    U call me whining if i just state, the game on the ps4 performs not the way you should excpect from a 2014 console?
    U think i whine because i say 18 fps in fights are not enjoyable? wtf ? if u cant see this then just stop arguing me.

Im stating that the masses that bought a ps4, will not just jump to a pro like i did. most people dont see the need of it, and to be fair, most people i know dont play planetside because of the bad performance. its getting worse and worse after each patch .
    I do think its a bad move they did not make the regular ps4 just like the pro is. its been sold for 400 and so is the pro.they had the tech, they could have done it back then.

Im saying, many games wont survive on consoles atleast the multiplayer aspect of a game, because of the differences of the pro and the regular machine.
    Its just a matter of time, people will see multiplayer gaming on both machines will make a difference and see the advantages pro users have. then sony gets screwed because why they could not release the pro 1.5 years earlyer, its not a new tech, its just like tuning your gaming pc like overclocking the cpu and gpu.
    Its just not right to make consoles look like pc's where u have to change hardware every year, thats the reason people buy consoles, to not have to change it every damn yearand yes i know u can keep the ps4 since its supported but atleast to make sure your games work like they should u have to upgrade for games like planetside.. And whatever u say. 18 fps is not exceptable for a game, not even for a so called free to play game.
    if i was a a developer, i would not feel good about it.

So yes im stating what u call whining, that this game cant run on a ps4. period.
    18fps in a normal battle is not exceptable, because its the key element of this game, massive battles. this game only works great in small fights like a max of 12vs12 people. then u just have another cod or battlefield game.

So call me whining, i dont whine, it works for me on my pro and on my pc. but im only stating this is going the wrong way.
  10. Ziggurat8

It has always played ok on the ps4.

The last couple of patches have improved it but you still drop below 30fps. (I really don't notice much difference when frame rates go over 30 but, like movies that run at 24fps, you can tell when fps starts to dip below 30) During large fights it deffinately lowers your reaction time to enemy fire. At least you knew that everyone else was experiencing the same thing. Now anyone running on the original machine will still have those frame drops but players on ps4pro will continue to have smooth 30+ fps.

It will definitely give you an edge. Hell I rocked a guy twice in a row that I've never beaten in a straight up fight. Maybe it's nothing but psychological or he was having a bad day or maybe it was Pro making me "better". Either way I typically go 1/10 against this particular player.
  11. SNEAKYSNIPES1

Question to you and everyone with a pro:

Is crashes gone? Does the PS4 pro prevent them? I always thought it might.
  12. Ghoest

Yes this was whining and you saying they should not have released the game.

And this is why I made that post.

So. Either man up to what you said and accept that people have a right to disagree - or shut up.
  13. CapEnTrade

It sucks compared to the PC.
    Would not buy.
  14. Ziggurat8

Nope still blue screens when spawning at far away battles or flying around after playing for a while and changing continents. Seems exactly the same. Best to reload the game after changing continents.