Upcoming Medkit Nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GuhMaster2512, Nov 26, 2016.

1. GuhMaster2512

From Wrel's Twitter: The change is not on PTS yet however it should go live next patch. The change will heal you for 500 HP instead up healing you for a short period of time.

Source:
    • Up x 3
  2. AlexR

Medkits should go. Completely. We have medics for that and implants. The more they nerf it the better i will feel.
    • Up x 1
  3. Okaydan

It's a start. Will make continuous spam to make yourself invincible impossible, I hope.
    Next point: 3 second cooldown.:)
    • Up x 5
  4. Scudmungus

If I understand the garbled grammar of Twitter correctly:

Good call. Nice and simple - setting the value to 500 means you'll be able to push on when others might fall back/buy you some time when we need to pull back.

With this a cooldown isn't required - if you're less than 500 you'll get 500, max. In a fire fight that might buy you some room to breath but its not the health-on-tap meditankit we have at the moment. And if you have more than 500 health? It's wasted.
  5. Beerbeerbeer

Personally I think this is a good way to "nerf" HAs without touching any of the class mechanics and causing an uproar. An indirect nerf, but maybe enough...

I've been using resto kits since I got tired of med kits not working and I'm doing fine.
  6. Crayv

Meh, I use restro kits but I always felt if someone wanted to spend the same amount of resources to survive a few bullets as opposed to making themselves flat out immune to bullets by pulling a sundy then so be it.
  7. ShinBreaker

I am content with only 500 HP per medkit, if and only if they actually worked. It feels like most the time I have to use 2 med kits just to make it works.
  8. zaspacer

I have every interest to support Medics in the game. I have no interest to support implants in the game.

Bravo. The use of Vehicles as basically exoskeletons is a major problem in the game that very few conceptualize.

There just isn't any reason for players to be Infantry in combat in the land areas between bases, which makes players either spam Vehicles or just skip that large land area altogether and move directly onto bases (Gal, Beacon, etc... or the solo ghetto versions of Stalker, Wraith, ESF, etc.).

The early PS2 leads feared people just spamming Sunderers as throwaway transport/armor, and setup the old Resource system to limit this. Apparently the new PS2 leads don't have the same thinking.
  9. Ziggurat8

Umm don't we have 500hp and 500 shields? What's the change?
  10. Ziggurat8

Lol. It's a fix for medkits not working in massive fights not a nerf.

The current medkit heals you for 500 very quickly. So quickly sometimes the server doesn't register it.

The new medkit "sets your HP to 500" instead of healing. So it will work even when you're laggy. At least that's the proposal. We'll see if it works.
  11. FateJH

The only proper vehicle that can fit into the majority of bases leaves the driver exposed to headshots, bodyshots, and all normal damage. A Sunderer as personal armor is very little hazard if it can't get onto the cap points or there is always a way around the places where it can climb.
    I blame most isues with vehicle durability on the speed of repair; but, that sort of argument really deserves its own thread.
    That's just because there are players who would avoid the vehicle game altogether if they can. The doesn't only include finding ways to truncate the expanse between bases but falling back on extreme turtling. It has nothing to do with being bulletproof. Indeed, the way you worded it - "spamming vehicles" - doesn't help with the argument about utilizing the expanse.
    That's true that was their fear. Other conditions involving combat at a distance reared their head, so Sunderers were made cheaper, so that the AMS utility was made more available.
  12. zaspacer

I was mostly talking about Vehicles dominating the spaces between bases.

I feel the massive power disparity in Vehicle and Infantry is a major failing in the game. Vehicles dominant spaces between bases (for the most part). Infantry dominant the spaces within bases (for the most part).

I agree that is a factor. But so is the lack of ability for various key units to meaningfully affect other key units. Also the issue I mentioned about radical unit power imbalance in different engagement types/locations. There are many other issues, but I agree with you that this sort of argument deserves its own thread.

I think it's more about:
    1) the spaces between bases being ultimately devoid of formal objective value unto themselves
    2) the spaces between bases ranging from somewhat cumbersome to ridiculous for Infantry (and other units to varying extants) to traverse
    3) the logistics complication of getting (and keeping) poorly mobile units into good strategic positions in the spaces between bases

The Server Smash meta is Pinpoint Rapid Infantry Movement with Air movement and disruption Support. That highlights the fail of the spaces between bases having a good role in the game. The only reason why we see the spaces between bases used is (1) inferior logistics among casual player forces, and (2) someone playing in them for the heck of it.

Yup.

It's a complication of tying overlapping abilities into a single unit. And when done with unique+core abilities, it creates fertile circumstances for issues to develop. Because it creates a design bottleneck(s) where there are not other good alternates, which mandates that unique+core ability needs to have a minimal amount of empowerment/accessibility (power level, cost reduction, etc.) to be effective/reliable, while at the same time then making a cheap/easy platform to access for all the other overlapping abilities that are also present in the unit.
  13. CrimsonEclipse5

I'm sorry what? Are you feeling ok? The magrider doesn't leave you vulnerable to small arms...
  14. FateJH

"Proper" vehicle, I said.
  15. DIGGSAN0

Oh man this is a buff you stupid little &$€%÷%!

You have 500 HP and 500Shield...

The old one needed Time to heal 500 HP.

Now you have instant 500 HP heal.

Which makes it more spammable and OP.
    • Up x 2
  16. Cymric

You don't understand how the current medkit work I suppose. For a short period of time, < 1 second, the medkit give the player such high regeneration rate that as long as the player is not one shot, it will restore the player to full health, making the player nearly invulnerable. The new system will only heal the player once instead of repeatedly over a time frame.
  17. CrimsonEclipse5

Goddamnit! The Magrider is a real MBT! I'll not stand for this belittlement!

#makehovertanksgreatagain
    • Up x 1
  18. JKomm

Yeah which is great... I'll be glad to see Medkit tanking die, one more thing Heavy Assaults will have to need skill for.
    • Up x 1
  19. JP_Russell

If it actually does fix them not working sometimes, I'm all for it. Medkits that never fail but can't be used to tank quite as effectively seems like a fair tradeoff.

EDIT - Although, didn't they used to work this way in the early days? I could swear medkits healing very quickly over time was a change they introduced at some point early on and that they originally just healed 500 HP instantly. I could be making that up, though...
    • Up x 1
  20. EViLMinD

Digsan0, lol. That's PS2 players for you. Too many dumbdumbs failing to grasp the obvious. Glad you have a clue, though. Thumbs