[Suggestion] Buff stalker cloak

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by ChainsawBizkt, Oct 17, 2016.

1. ChainsawBizkt

I feel like if I'm going to give up my primary, I deserve to be entirely invisible if I'm crouching and still. Just 100% invisible. Stupid sounding I know, but I'm wierd. It used to be that way I believe. Maybe just cloaking in general should be like that.
  2. Exitus Acta Probat

3. Eternaloptimist

I play stalker as well as other classes. I find infils so damned easy to spot now (moving or stationary) and I don't know why, except I changed to high graphics a while back.
    • Up x 2
  4. ChainsawBizkt

^ exactly. On console it's the same
  5. BartasRS

yup. I find cloaked infils very easy to spot moving or stationary, especially inside buildings. Also I noticed (as I main infil) people see me quite easily at 50m range.

Dunno, maybe it's becasue I play on Ultra and more and more people have high end rigs now.
  6. MrMinistry30

same thing here.

i don't know what they did but for some time now it has been very easy for me to see cloaked infis. On the other hand it seems i am not the only one because people easily see me when i am cloaked (no matter if moving/crouching/sitting still or what cloak i use and you can believe me, i have really played enough infi to know how that class and it's abilities work...)

my personal explanation: they introduced cloak when the hardware could not display enough details so those few hints that there was an infi were easy to oversee. Today all hardware is much better so all cloak might need some adjustment considering how much you still see of a cloaked infy in different movement states.
  7. Ghoest

I agree,.

Crouched, not moving and in a stalker cloak ought to let you hide.

Cloaking should be bett all around. The hunter cloak is total joke.
    • Up x 1
  8. BartasRS

There has to be something related to this. I played with useroptions.ini and set render distance bit further than default (was annoyed that turrents won't display for me while I am long range sniping, BTW it didn't help at all) and since then I am able to see moving, cloaked infils with my scope even if I am quite far from them. Even when they are sitting in one place I still see "disturbance", stalkers in buildings may as well drop cloak. I see them very clearly.
  9. Problem Officer

Don't wear helmets you haven't seen cloak-functional on other players, don't wear armor plates.
    Check your helmet for the cloak bug and don't sit in doorways like a nubcake.
  10. ChainsawBizkt

So the general consensus is that the cloak needs change the players' opacity to about zero when still and crouched, right? Maybe buff crouching and moving cloaked too just a little? I pray that's what we're going for here. Like I said, If I'm giving up my ability to shoot in this state (and for stalkers, our primary), at least give me that much. Do they actually watch these forums?
    • Up x 1
  11. Diggsano

I think it is abusing of the System when People can see deep cloaked infiltrator doubtless or as would they be very obvious....

There are so many bugs and i really think that there is some hidden bug which lets Infiltrator be obvious even in deep cloak :/
  12. Eternaloptimist

Yes I think that is the consensus but if "they" refers to the devs then no, I don't think they read these forums. It would be better to put something on Reddit starting with "We, the people..........."
  13. Liewec123

i posted this a while ago, but i think it is relevant here,
    [IMG]
    (and no, i'd only just arrived at that sundy i wasn't camping it.)
    obviously the guy could see me clear as day, and rather than calling "hax!" i'll callout this game for the buggy mess that it is!

cloak is utterly unreliable, you expect to be hidden but you have to prettymuch pray to RNGesus that it isn't bugged,
    otherwise you're just a scrub with no primary and lower HP crouched in the corner waiting to get shot.
  14. CuteBeaver

When a player loads in for the first time, and you havn't been moving (when they arrive) there is an incredibly high chance your head will be glossy (as if sprinting) and floating for ONLY that enemies client to see. Cloak isn't actually bugged for you and the other players. Just that one enemy who spawned in and rendered you motionless nearby. This makes being near any spawn point incredibly dangerous for stalkers. The chances for this bug increase when you are hiding in front of cover objects (like the sundy). Edges behind you cause their clients to wig out and expose the head. It only works on certain conditions which I am not going to disclose because if enemies know how to repeat this bug intentionally, without using a spawn point they don't need a darklight to find us, and life gets really hard for stalkers until a fix... DBG is working on a fix for the bug. Its just difficult and touches on many aspects of the game and how it works mechanically as well as client specific factors..

The good news, you can adjust (move) ever so slightly to remove chances of getting this bug. Avoid being near spawn points for obvious reasons, as you simply dont have time to keep moving between enemy spawns and your risk of an enemy client bugged out increases.Even the tiniest movement will help reset the cloak on bugged clients. You can also control where you hide in a room. Sitting in front of a cover object, or in the middle of a room surrounded by things / boxes, doorways clearly is a bad idea. I shouldn't say more then that.

OP: Ultra settings will make infils easier to see. Slim down, take off your extra armor, lumifiber, ect less hard edges will help a little bit against those running on ultra. The difference between high and ultra is very minor but even so , still significant enough to provide a slight advantage. Imagine seeing more distortion in the same space, another trick you can use is Aiming Down Sights (to stop the breathing animation, which will reduce the movement of the cloak distortion the enemies see on ultra. ) I have not swapped around my helmets much, but its worth mentioning the less hard jagged edges seem to work out better on the body. I think we should take a swimmers approach and just opt for more streamlined outfits.

OP I haven't had an issue like your describing. Cloak hasn't failed me significantly at all. Cloak = Concealment not stealth. Stealth only happens when you create enough doubt to your last known position and the enemy has absolutely no clue where you are. By not searching or scanning for you, only then does cloak become truly reliable. The moment enemy has a general idea of your location your pretty much screwed and its a ticking clock until you are found. Solution? Learn to bail, or counter enemies while they are in the process of narrowing down your position in a room.

Personally.... I really hope DBG manages to fix this bug with enemies client showing our glossy heads, because it doesn't surprise me, that infils hare having a harder time if people are using ultra more often now. Double whammy... Your not wrong to suspect bugs.
  15. Diggsano

List of things i should not sesr because essy to spot:

Many Helmets
    Emissary
    Everything else because **** us infiltrstors......

Have you tried the New armor yet? I don't know if it is bugged
  16. customer548

[Suggestion] Stop playing slow and boring Hide-and-seek on a FPS.

Get a Smg,
    Give Radar,
    Push.

That's your job.

(I easily understand that some people are unable to fullfill those tasks as long as they have low framerates and - or bad ping. But as long as you have an average ping and framerate...why playing Stalker ? It seems to be boring for your opponents and for your teammates ( no cover 'cause the guy next to you don't even want to move ).
  17. CuteBeaver

Depends on how you play Stalker Customer548. If your in into stalker for knife and CQC mind games it can be very entertaining but requires the player to know when to get away from their last "known" position. If a stalker is just hanging around hoping for cloak to save them... They are going to have a bad time. Lol. I agree that type of stalker should pick up and SMG and learn to live more moment to moment. Besides NAC has been buffed to be more forgiving.

I do take issue with "Why Play Stalker" so ill address that:

Stalkers are excellent in teamplay settings. An SMG infil cannot for example maintain a presence on the rooftop above a capture point building and continuously remove spawn beacons while being subject to Air, Snipers, LA's and Enemy Tanks. Nor can they use that rooftop to spot enemy Galaxy / Valk drop coming to flush the point or give advanced warning to their team. If the Stalkers has EMP + Bando this also means any large pushes coming towards an entrance can be weakened at key critical moments. Especially so with VS and NC who have access to mines, which become lethal when paired with EMP even to enemies wearing Flak. So that Max Crash? Yeah the stalker could kill off all their engineers or medics while they gather up for the push.

Stalker can maintain presence at an exposed capture point, while team takes better firing positions. I used to do this all the time with [3GIS] I remember during Scrims @ Acan Southern Labs it meant we had an attacking force of 11 versus their 12 man squad which was not prepared for the onslaught. (Typically they would be split coming from different directions. So imagine 11 vs 4 or 11 vs 5 or 2 guys trying to sneak onto point and getting wrecked. (Acan has 4 L shaped buildings around the point which is located in an exposed garden. Situations like this exist where the team is better off interdicting the point. You want the enemy to come down exposed, not knowing where the stalker is guarding the cap point.

Stalkers also provide anti-backrage (again teamplay situation) allowing for enemies to be dealt with while they are lining up allies, but killed before that enemy can harm team members. If there is an exposed position a stalker can use these types of "distractions" to hold a key location that otherwise would not be suitable for a highly visible guard.

Stalkers are (were) ideal when it comes to recovering from Redeploy side. Got hit with 180 guys during a smash? No problem, let me just go hang out here for a moment, you guys redeploy go save this other base nearby. Okay spawn beacon ready - drop and retake the base we just got pushed out of no sweat. Again another thing which stalkers can do very easily to quickly drop 12 people on a cap point.

Stalkers also make excellent first responders when it comes to flipping a capture node, not just recovering from a near loss.Stalling and keeping a base in play longer then enemies would like is cirtical for events like SMASH. By messing with the capture nodes, and running the clock you can make a base less painful to take. Or force a disproportionate amount of enemies to come back to defend the base your molesting. In doing so you waste their time searching for you instead of being at their next objective fighting allied forces.

A stalker is also excellent at creeping up ahead of time near the SCU in a biolab, so that the moment the shields drop, they can begin taking that down while enemies are still processing the fact its exposed. By being able to do this quickly enough I have been able numerous times to get an SCU down quickly with less difficulty then it otherwise would have taken.

So yes, there are PLENTY of reasons to play stalker. I personally feel that the ability to create such doubt, and actually re-enter back into true stealth (given enough time / confusion) is worth the cost of the SMG.
  18. Diggsano

Stalker Deep Cloak should be invicible!

Stalkers are Visible on Radar with Spotter/Darts
    Stalkers are easyly seen by Darklight (you have exactly that to counter Stalker DUH)
    Stalkers Decloak after hit by EMP....

there are already VERY GOOD Counters against Stalker so why are Stalker deep cloak not invicible yet?
  19. ReptilePete

They never really wanted the true infil type play in this game in the first place, too worried it would scare off all the noobs and they wouldnt pay day break cash to have horns on their vehicles or a clown mask. So they came up with this half hearted mess of a class that pleases no one.
  20. CuteBeaver

Infils originally had shotguns in the beta. Once those were removed (for obvious balance reasons) it left a gaping hole in CQC for infils until SMG's were released. Not to mention, infils and Light Assaults were drastically affected when "Personal Spawn Beacons" Became "Squad Spawn Beacons". This meant flanking classes lost much of their value and slowly but surely the game became Heavyside 2.

The spawn beacon change had to happen though, because defending bases from attackers was much too difficult, in the same reason Shotguns were removed from infils because it was too easy sneak up, confuse and kill SCORES of enemies with the shotgun for little to no risk.

Yes, the developers DID want stealth play in this game. The trouble being balance had to be changed from both, large battle flow, and weapon type wasn't done correctly to account for cloaks strengths. (Also keep in mind cloak didn't have faction colors, so blurred players could be misidentified as allies. When every blurry infiltrator looked roughly the same, cloak became a tool for mindgames. You could litterally run through crowds of enemies acting "natural" and break LOS frequently when decloaking to confuse them) If you recall cloaking sounds never used to be this loud either. The maximum distance you could hear even the faintest squeak was roughly 90 meters during release. In contrast today its more or less 200+ meters.

Frankly I would HATE for cloak for be 100% invisible because it takes away from the depth and skill of our class. We should not just be able to sprint everywhere and remain unseen. Thats just garbage for enemies to deal with. If you want the advantage of moving accept the risk. Same thing goes for hiding in a bad spot, or one which you have already been killing enemies at. Why should cloak save you from your own ignorance and laziness and mistakes? It shouldn't. Not having to move from your last known position is anti-stealth. Hiding shouldnt just be pressing one key and not moving. Crouch cloaked walking was already added as a crutch for people who found themselves in poor placement to try and escape... Of course there is another technical imitation your not thinking about... If something is truely 100% invisible, and NOT rendering at all, then it cannot be shot..

Case in point when we had this bug:

The crossbow bolt flies through his invisible body and splashes against the wall behind. What your asking for ( in a technical sense ) is not possible with the games forge-light engine.