Definitely pay to win.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ReptilePete, Oct 11, 2016.

1. PanzerGoddess

i paid to win once....than the vs locked all the continents.....Im still waiting for that pay to win.....seriously Im missing something, must be a p2w setting Im not clicking??
    • Up x 1
  2. FateJH

If you count unique names as votes, it sorta went the other direction by a steep margin.
    • ~22 who say it isn't
    • 9 who are non-commital or whose posts weren't opinions on the matter
    • 3 who say it is (counting yourself)
    Technically, you're still limited to the same pool of vehicles and the same pull in bulk limits, e.g., number of mines hat can be held and that can be deployed, as other players. The rate at which you can pull them doesn't matter much of anything. If you need to replace tanks that quickly, for example, that strongly implies you're losing in tanks that quickly too. If you have to keep pulling grenades or C4 that quickly, that just means that there's a good chance that the number of C4 and grenades your throwing at the enemy isn't having the kind of effect on the enemy that you think it is.

I hate to break it to you but personal resources running low (if not out) is a perfectly normal aspect of gameplay. You've just been riding the lazier option without realizing it. Your playstyle formed into one where you do stuff constantly and didn't think about the conditions around how that was possible or was supported.
    • Up x 1
  3. MajiinBuu

It's not pay-to-win.
    • Up x 1
  4. ReptilePete

So having established that it definitely is Pay to Win, I call for Gaybreak games to make Planetside 3 NOW!!
  5. Diggsano

Planetside2 is Pay to progress...

You buy yourself a "buff" which let you progress faster.
    • Up x 1
  6. SoljVS

Not pay to win. If vehicles are the only thing that suits your fancy it just means you spend more time firing bullets into the air while watching youtube vids or doing other productive things. Thats 5 min difference between from 0 nanites to full. So load up a nice youtube video (full screen windowed no border is especially useful for this) or make a sandwich while making sure you keep your character moving so you get the nanites.
  7. adamts01

I don't think it's fair to jump to that conclusion. Vehicles are insanely spammable in this game. If you're God tier with C4, you can make a full time job of it, get non-stop kills with every trip out, and easily run out of C4. More nanites means more kills, means more effective for your faction. I don't think it's a big deal, because you can always start gunning and be effective in a different way, but what if the golden ticket in that fight is C4? The paying member has a definite advantage.

You're arguing how to overcome weaknesses free players have, not making an argument against pay to win. I know you're a great pilot, so I'll use that as an example. Say the enemy has a gank squad going. You have the ability to fly in there and probably get two kills before they get you. Spawn another ESF and get two more, maybe a 3rd and 4th if you can get away to repair. Either way, a highly skilled paying member can fly riskier, get more kills, and do more work for their faction, even though they're dying pretty frequently. If you don't have the luxury of the considerably faster nanite regeneration, you have to be much more careful with your plane, and depending on the situatin, that might mean much fewer kills.
  8. FateJH

After your hypothetical F2Per and your hypothetical member have thrown out all ten possible bricks of C-4, emptying their full pools in such a record frenzy that the first resource tick may actually mean something, one C-4 every two minutes isn't going to make much of a difference from one every one minute. That downtime between forays where neither of the pair are using C-4 will occur one way or another and it won't be a question of "how soon can you get back into the fight." You'll be filling that void with other tasks (I hope).
  9. adamts01

I don't think it's a big deal. I'm just arguing that under certain very specific circumstances this game can be considered pay to win. What about my hypothetical airplane scenario?
  10. DrPapaPenguin

It does not make the game pay to win, it increases the downtime between pulling vehicles. It offers no advantages otherwise. And if you bring up dying more as infantry because you can't have enough resources as a disadvantage, I am bringing up a counter point - you can safely wait in a respawn menu for the resources to fill up again and not suffer any damage to your stats. You simply pay for convenience of not having to do so. Or at least not having to do so often.

At your best you hold no disadvantage to anyone else. You simply have to wait longer to return to your best.
  11. Riksos

I'm going to reiterate what I said a few pages back:

Having more nanites than your opponent in the bank doesn't make your weapons do more damage.

In every individual case where skill would matter, whether it be coming around a corner as infantry and seeing who can react faster, or in a long tank engagement, the only benefit increased nanite trickle gives you occurs after you have died/lost an engagement/retreated. From an individual players perspective, in any given engagement, the nanite trickle does not confer a benefit.

Nobody is beating you because they have more nanites.

If the argument is that "Well more nanites means more vehicles so it's pay to win", then I guess having a population imbalance makes it "pay to win" as well since two players receive more nanites collectively than a single player.

This game is pay-to-progress, not pay-to-win, as every combat benefit purchasable by a paid user is accessible by free users.

There are MMO's where the best PvP gear is "cash only", and those paid users commonly destroy free users as an incentive for the free users to pay for the nice PvP gear- that is pay to win.
    • Up x 1
  12. adamts01

You can't pay to win individual engagements, which is why I personally don't have a problem with the system, but you do pay to be more effective for your faction. And then there's paying for boosters to keep implants up. I've never run out of charge, but I know some people have. That's actually a way that you can pay real money to have a 1v1 advantage. Not a big deal, just backing up that OP has a point.

You can pay real money to have a pop advantage? Did you wake up on the crazy side of bed today?
  13. Riksos

MY PILOT CHARGES $20 USD/HR I'M PAYING HIS GOD DAMN RENT

#PayToWin
    • Up x 1