Planetside 2 Is Declining Quickly In North America, The End Is Near?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tortricat, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Tortricat

I hope this game can last as long as Planetside 1 did at least but I fear the end may be near. I have not played Planetside 2 much recently, been playing a lot of console games but I should play soon, before this game dies!

Connery and Emerald have both seen a drastic decline in players while the European population is still stable. Connery rarely even goes beyond 1000 players anymore and is only stable at 600-850 players playing during prime time for 5-6 hours.

What is even worse is that even Emerald has declined, I remember before Emerald always had 1000-1400 players playing for 5 hours a day, now it is only at 900-1250 playing for 4 hours a day. What is going on? The population is declining fast, Connery and Emerald should be merged. NOW ON A FRIDAY NIGHT! Emerald has only managed to have 1000-1268 on for 4 hours, on week days it had more before, I am very sad to see this game decline so much.

The European servers both have 1000-1400 people on them for 5-6 hours every single day.

http://www.therebelscum.net/world-population/?world_id=-1

I hope it doesn't decline any further, Connery and Emerald should be merged. Very sad that this game is declining so quickly in North America. The major problem is, I am pretty sure most of the people who regularly play this game have at least 2 characters on 2 different servers and North American players, most probably don't have one on a European server.

My Vanu is on Connery, my NC is on Emerald. It will turn the game for North American players into a total mess, they would have to introduce some special option that lets you choose your main character and you get a cert bonus or something when playing as that faction so you have an incentive to play as a specific faction.
    • Up x 1
  2. Caramboul

About european servers = yes, but no.
    There are lot of players from old russian server to close the ranks. And lots of them are busy with cheats and not to play the game. Subtract 400 - 500 from each european server and you will have a better view upon EU playerbase.

But yes, Planetside 2 is decreasing. Thanks to the management/devs. I say it, i write it and i mean it.
    • Up x 2
  3. Tortricat

They need to release it on Xbox One and re-release the game with a new content update. Like special maps the entire server fights on for 3 days a week and whoever wins gets a cert bonus for the rest of the week until they fight again on a different special map.
  4. TheSunlikeOne

I think PS2 needs a little marketing campaign. Currently, the only way to get a potentially new player is a friend, that can tell him about the game. PS2 isn't famous enough to attract new players otherwise.
    • Up x 2
  5. Riekopo

PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio should be able to run PS2 a lot better. I would love to see it come out on Xbox One.
  6. Okjoek

All the game really needs is some fresh marketing IMO. The game itself is better than it's ever been, It's well over a year since the company change and the Developers have gotten some impressing updates out like construction which is great IMO. Updates are admittedly coming out very slow, but they are still coming.

Like I said though the game needs to be advertised better. I only found it on some random guy's YT video talking about his top 10 favorite FPS in 2014.
  7. Lord_Avatar

Yup - marketing seems to be the key here. As for Xbox One - it's hardware is weaker than PS2 - the devs would have to potato the game even further - I say no.
  8. Corezer

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

9. ObiVanuKenobi

10. DeathbyGotcha

Put a Sony game on xbox brillant Psss PC which is 90% of the player base is a separate server then PS4.
  11. Moridin6

when i tell people about ps2 theyre amazed. never heard of it most times. then im like Its free.. . and thyre more amazed. "why havent i heard of that?""seems like everyone would play that i mean its free". .

now, on pc i can kindof understand seeing as theres a lot of games and a decent amount are "free". but even ps4 people have mostly not heard of it. .

i dont understand how a big FPS game thats FREE is so unknown.. not to mention how awesome the game is but not even having heard its Name before? thats a lack of marketing, plain and simple.
  12. customer548

More advertising ? Why ?

Ps2 is a business. As long as a business has enough cash in order to pay the bills, and make extra money - Benefits, everything is ok.
    Advertising means more customers. More customers means more charges.
    When you launch a business, you know what will be the critical size of your business. Growing up induces more risks, more charges, company's investments or a search for investors.

PS2 is a F2P. They know the percentage of customers who will pay, more or less how much they will pay.
    But let's say that an incoming patch is not appealing enough. or another fresh - trendy game is realeased.
    A part of the player base will leave. New customers number may decrease. The company will get less incomes. Less benefits. Paying monthly charges may even be a problem.

As long as you business is running in a fine way, as long as you control what's happening, as long as you're able to pay your charges, as long as you're able to make benefits ...Why trying to search for more risks and more charges ?
    Look at Steam reviews. PS2 is a success. Why looking for troubles - risks which may damage your product ?

I also remember a guy from PS2 staff (maybe RadarrX) talking about online advertising.

We may also consider products life circle theory.
  13. travbrad

Yep there is no marketing or awareness of the game as others have said. Pretty much everyone I have told about it had never even heard of it before. It boggles my mind that the Battlefield games are orders of magnitude more popular than PS2 since PS2 is basically just a much bigger and better Battlefield game and is everything those games claim to be but fail to deliver on. The difference is Battlefield has a huge marketing budget behind it.

That being said they also released PS2 too early which didn't help. When the game first released it was buggy, laggy, unbalanced, and poorly optimized and they lost probably 90% of the playerbase in the first couple months. First impressions are important and most of those people will never come back. I played the beta and even avoided it myself for the first few months after release because I knew what a mess it was.

Basically the point at which they still had resources/money for marketing the game was a in bad shape, and now that the game is in better shape they have no marketing. I imagine PS2 really does rely on new players to keep making money too. The long time high BR players really have very little reason to spend any money on it anymore unless they want a cool new camo or something. I hope it can survive though. Every other FPS game seems very disappointing to me after playing PS2. They have set the bar too high.

Also about the European servers. They have a lot of players during Euro primetime but in the off hours they are total ghost towns. The US servers seem to retain more players in the off hours (probably lots of players from Asia/Europe/Australia). I kind of agree it's about time for an Emerald/Connery merge though. The only problem is that will inevitably piss off half the players since they'll get worse pings. I live in the center of the US and even I get much less lag on Emerald than Connery for whatever reason.
  14. EvilWarLord

School is starting
    Lack of Marketing

Plus Various other AAA games will be releasing towards the End of october.
  15. LaughingDead

I think servers just need to chill with the toxicity. You have dickheads camping at warpgate for new flyers, easy C4 certs for new players trying to drive and of course, the leet heavy only meta for players that can't fight well on the ground. It's blow up, blow up or die over and over, no wonder new players don't stick.

Sure, the game is hard but people could at least knock off the scum talk. I get hate tells at least twice a day just for playing medic and beating heavies, that shouldn't fly at all.
    • Up x 1
  16. Beerbeerbeer

They need to take a page out of World of Tank's playbook and buy some cheap TV ads. That's how I got into that game by watching an ad on the military channel I think. In fact, I still see their ads. While I'm sure this investment isn't cheap, it must be worthwhile if WoT is still running them on fringe channels five years later.
  17. Sh4n4yn4y

Bahahaahahahahahahaha. Heh. Hehe.1000-1400 players?

Ever heard of a little place called Briggs?

That being said. They need to do a massive marketing campaign. This game maybbe flawed, buggy and painful at times... but it is still ab amazing game. Shame it is sitting in a dusty corner.
  18. Beerbeerbeer

That's one thing SOE and now DB completely lacks: marketing. They rely on player-made crap and marketing, which frankly doesn't have the reach or breadth of a strong marketing arm. It's one huge flaw of this company that continues to haunts them.

Stop relying on players to market for you, it's obviously not working. Stop being cheap, you have to invest and spend money to earn it.

Here's WoT's recent TV commercial:
    • Up x 1
  19. JKomm

As everyone keeps saying... the real issue is Marketing. But that is no excuse for the game to have low numbers... why? The best marketing for any game is the players themselves. WE have the full capacity to spread word of this game, maybe not some flashy ad on TV, but we can speak directly to our peers and appeal to them more personally. The burden of this falls on the playerbase at the moment, Daybreak doesn't exactly have the resources to spare for a full marketing campaign, but what we can do to help is free.

Make amazing videos, montages, parodies, stories... talk about the game to people you meet all over the place, spread word of it, and people will start coming by. If the game fails at this point, we are pretty much the problem... Daybreak does what they can with a very limited team, and they're doing it well(Check out the PTS sometime, engage in community activities and give feedback on changes, it's better they find out now rather than when it hits Live).

A game is only as strong as it's community... ours has fallen to desolation lately, we need to pick it back up.
  20. Beerbeerbeer

What are you tone deaf? Player marketing doesn't work. It hasn't work. It will not work.

That's DB's biggest dumb flaw. Ignorance in thinking it does work. It will work. Well it hasn't and it won't. That's why all their games just limps along.