[Suggestion] Merge Emerald and Connery.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jake the Dog, Aug 29, 2016.

1. HamOnRye

Why do you think that every FPS from ARMA to TeamFortress enforces a ping limit? Because it creates crappy gameplay. You said it yourself, you will be booted as the games are not designed to handle high ping players.

Also befor you claim that people are wrong you better research the topic well. Its not like there isn't videos out there on the very subject or anything.

Last, I could give two ***** less about your finances, or your broke-*** 56k modem. I am interested in good competive gameplay (kinda the core reason to play a FPS).
  2. adamts01

We're all agreeing that lower ping has definite advantages in some situations, no one here has said otherwise. I've played with low and high ping and against high and low ping, at the end of the day, good players still do well and bad players still do bad. Just please stop calling this game competitive.
  3. adamts01

What I'm saying is it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be. You could argue tht someone with 20ms ping has a gamebreaking advantage against a player with 40ms ping. Sure he has an advantage, but it doesn't really matter. I believe that in the vast majority of situations 200ms ping isn't that big a handicap. 99% of the time the better player will still win. And I'm absolutely fine with that. If you're all uptight about your stats and your ego can't handle losing in a silly game, then I could understand needing everyone to have perfect ping. But if you're one of those people, this isn't really the game for you anyway, with all the hackers and glitches, team killers and random crap that happens.
  4. Corezer

So what you're saying is that it IS a deal, and that you are somehow qualified to determine how big a deal it is for other people. Other people's opinions are "wrong" and yours is "right"

I could get more into it, about how you determine what matters, what's silly etc. and don't understand that your opinions aren't fact, and are factually disproven, but the bottom line remains' the same:

You and those who think like you are a blight on society.
  5. Taemien

You all do realize there will be a total game merger in the future right? People will be able to play their characters on other servers. And will no longer be bound to the server they are playing on. If you need a source, just look at Daybreak's live streams for the last few months.

What this means is if some dude in the EU logins in a crazy time and hour can find a decent fight on Connery or Emerald, rather than being stuck on Miller or Cobalt. So you're going to deal with crazy pings either way. They've already tested it and found little evidence that it would hurt the game overall.

So for those of you claiming to be competitive, I suggest you get practice at killing 200+ pings. Or you're going to be in for a rough time when your KDR takes a hit.
  6. Gundem

Okay, I'm going to pitch in here.

Personally, I'm a east coast player. I get 40-50 ping on Emerald, and very rarely loose connection quality to Emerald.

But, PS2 was my first MMO really, and I didn't pay much attention to the server I chose. I ended up picking Connery, and managed to get a BR50, BR78 and a BR98 with little-no boost or membership to speak of.

And for me, the difference between Connery and Emerald is night and day.

Ever since moving to Emerald, I can tell when players are lagging. The way their movements don't sync up with their actions, the way they ****** around corners like a civilian prop on buttered glass, the way I can die around corners from them, and the way they react to my own fire are all indicators as to how laggy they are.

But these players on Emerald are few and far between. They are always frustrating to fight, but it's not often that I see them. On Connery, these players basically outnumber grains of sand on the beach, every corner you turn you will find some dude with 300 ping that just sits there while you unload and then chunk-damages you for 3/4 your HP in an instant, then finishes you off after you round the corner again in retreat. It's even worse when they can aim, because if they ever surprise you they get basically 600ms of free time to headshot you while you stand still on their screen due to clientside.

But, even that pales in comparison to how Connery felt compared to Emerald. Of course you can call it anecdotal, but Emerald feels much smoother as an East Coast player. After gitting gud on Emerald, I went back to Connery for the lulz one day and I was baffled by how poor the hit detection was. Even after swapping from my wireless connection to a hardline straight to my router, I felt like I could put 20 rounds of headshots on a player on Connery and my bullets hit like wet sponges. And considering my aim is top 200 players in the game, that counts for something.

Personally, I'm fairly certain I'm not racist. If somehow an Asian or a Russian connected with 100 ping and good connection quality, I would just as happily dunk him as the guy next door to me. But I start to have an issue when players with poor internet connection start to infringe on my gameplay experience. I don't care if you also live next door to me, if you have a potato powering your internet you can get the hell off my game until you upgrade.

Just my two cents(Though it's closer to two dollars at this point.. Maybe a couple quarters at least?).

Of course, none of that is related as to whether or not a change in server location to a central US server would effect player experience, but I still have other issues regarding why a server merge is a bad idea(Basically population control, we can hardly manage fun, fair, smooth fights with the current populations. Why add more? Unless we could either find a way to split fights so that there is a nice 24-48v24-48 at every lattice, or alternatively improve base design and server performance so they both could handle 96+v96+ fights, adding even more population would only make everything worse).

EDIT:

lolwut

N A S C A R

why the **** is that censored?
  7. ridicOne

What happened to that classy post that made me laugh? Oh ya...
    It will happen but sooner than later isn't a good plan. Emerald is still busy to PS2 standards and your willing to test and piss off people is quite the gamble.

This games not 4 years old yet and it's dropping down to 3 servers? How much longevity is left? Construction IMO was a gamble, hasn't really paid off. The infantry shooter part of the game has massive issues.

I will enjoy whatever time is left before they have no choice but to go down to one server. I just hope it's not soon. If you think Connery hasn't been hurt by all the high pingers, there's nothing really left for me to say.
  8. adamts01

What are you kids even learning in school these days. We all have an opinion which we believe is the correct one, of course. Adults provide evidence as to why they believe their opinion is correct, while children throw around insults. If you notice I said "I believe", clearly an indicator that I'm relating an opinion, not pushing a fact.

There are a lot of very high ping players in this game, 500ms+, 1000ms+.... those guys are absolutely a pain in the ***. And what I think is happening is everyone lumping people with 150ms-200ms ping in with that group. I still feel the later numbers are reasonable, but if you don't then get out of this free game with it's casual playerbase. If you you get ******** when you don't have 100% accurate hit registration and you need to play with nothing but 40ms ping players then this isn't the place for you, and never will be. Go play one f the AAA titles in an actual competition where all that is regulated.

I can't believe how entitled some of you guys are. Hopping on a FREE GAME and insisting everyone who doesn't have double digit ping get out. Seriously, just go play Overwatch already, you deserve eachother, absolutely no one here will miss you.
  9. Corezer

I get what you're saying, but...

Your argument is trash, son.

When you make statements like this, it is basically you staring at a red wall, and saying that because you think it's a tarnished copper color, everyone else should conform to your opinion and call it that. Your argument for this so far has been... nothing but your opinion, basically because you said so.

I don't need to pose a question, I already know you kids aren't learning a damn thing in school these days.
  10. Tortricat

Very sad that this game is declining so quickly in North America. The major problem is, I am pretty sure most of the people who regularly play this game have at least 2 characters on 2 different servers and North American players, most probably don't have one on a European server.

My Vanu is on Connery, my NC is on Emerald. It will turn the game for North American players into a total mess, they would have to introduce some special option that lets you choose your main character and you get a cert bonus or something when playing as that faction so you have an incentive to play as a specific faction.
  11. adamts01

What my argument boils down to is bad players blaming ping for their lack of success. Yes, a lower ping gives you a slight advantage, so does a better graphics card, better resolution, a better mouse, better eyesight, no kids yelling in your ear...... When you consider all the problems players face, I think 200ms ping opponents is so far towards the bottom of the list it's not worth arguing over. Lag wizzards with temporary 1000ms ping that happens to spike when they're taking fire, now that's an issue.

People here act like the sky is falling because there are people with 150, 200, 250 ping running around. Yes it's not ideal, I'm just saying it's really not that big of a deal. I headshot running players with my sniper without a problem, Dalton ESFs out of the sky with no problem.... I just don't see what the fuss is all about.
  12. travbrad

I've played on Euro, US, and Aus servers and it really does make a big difference especially for infantry combat where ducking behind some cover, around a corner, etc can make the difference between surviving and dying. On the higher ping servers you get killed around corners A LOT more than with a lower ping, and also have a lot more "trades" where you kill someone but then their dead body also manages to fire 10 more bullets back at you and kill you as well. It's not really so much that it becomes more difficult to kill or land shots on people. It's more that it becomes difficult to avoid dying or being shot yourself.

There actually isn't much difference when playing tanks/vehicles, since the RoF is dramatically slower and tanks/aircraft aren't constantly ducking around corners or behind cover. Plus vehicles have a lot of HP to soak up damage so the chance of a split second making the difference is less likely. It's also less of an issue when sniping because when sniping you generally have the drop on someone without them even realizing it. It's not an intense head to head firefight where split seconds of movement make the difference. Basically the play styles you described are the least affected by lag.