Bayonet

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eternaloptimist, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Eternaloptimist

OK maybe silly, maybe been suggested before................

Sometimes in CQC I find my self running into (or being run into by) an enemy. I am pretty poor at keeping them in sight as they weave around me. Having a bayonet attachment I could use by ADS maybe (as a lunge) could possibly be of some use.

I must be honest and say I'd probably spin frantically around like I do now, trying to find the guy, so I'm thinking I would be slightly more effective at that if holding out a sharp stick in front of me than trying to line up for a hip fire response.

And no, I'm generally panicking and don't think to go for my knife.

Apart from my self-confessed incompetence, bayonet fighting might just appeal to a few people. I got the idea after reading a post by someone who fights exclusively with a knife.
  2. Sil4ntChaozz

I'd appreciate any knife like buffs or new melee weapons. My favorite thing to do in my other game was a knife/pistol knife/SMG combo.

But while dueling like gentleman someone could come up and shoot you both.
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

So what would make you think to go for the bayonet stab if you don't think to go for your knife?
    • Up x 2
  4. Eternaloptimist

Well, I was kind of thinking if it was already equipped on the bayonet lug of the gun I haven't got to equip it - just lunge (plus a longer reach perhaps).
  5. IceMobsterrr

Just make the knife ignore HA shield and all will be well. This way it is just stupid, you ambush him from behind yet HA still survives because "muh superior button F".
  6. Ziggurat8

Some kind of enemy collision detection could help with the crazy where the heck did they just go when they run through you or a 3rd person behind the shoulder view when hip firing. It's definitely very easy to lose someone when you're 1m or less circling.

As for quick knife just make an effort to prioritize knifing during your play sessions for like a week. Yes you will die more often but you would be amazed at how easy and fast it is to put 2 or 3 rounds into someone then "finish" them with the knife. Just say in your head anytime someone gets into the <10m "knife, knife, knife" and focus on that aspect until it becomes second nature. You'll give up a few easy kills and die more than normal while you are training. But it WILL make you a better cqc skirmisher. Sometimes the quick knife is the fastest way to deal with a threat. 500 damage instantly is no joke.

A bayonet as a barrel attachment would be pretty cool. Make it faster refire longer range quick knife ability that's only available for non smg/shotgun/pistol weapons. Bayoneted long range sniper rifle would be clutch.
  7. Demigan

I hope you've bound the knife-key somewhere else? I use the middle-mouse button for knifing, it's so much easier.

As a new melee weapon that replaces the knife a Bayonet could work very well. It could have a little longer range, smaller angle where you hit and perhaps you could even keep firing while using it, at a cost to your accuracy ofcourse. Alternatively you can't fire while using it but you 'reset' sooner allowing you to fire normally faster than with a quick-knife.

Impossible.
    Unless the characters are standing still for some time, the latency system does not allow players to "touch" each other. What would they touch? The visual placement of where the player sees and shoots his enemy? Then if they walk straight at each other, they would meet "behind" each other and the visual placement would walk through them anyway, allowing them to keep moving a splitsecond later. But since your PC can't know the enemies actual position there's no way of making such a collision work.
  8. Taemien

Bayonet in all honesty sounds better than a knife. Truth be told.. knives in combat are actually tools that 'can' be used as a weapon. Personally I'd rather just take my ACH off and bludgeon someone to death than try to pull out a knife from a sheath.

But realism aside.. Bayonets are cool. I'm sorry but that fix bayonet command given in 'We Were Soldiers' was pretty cool. So how could they work in PS2?

Well they're attached to a rifle. So lets make it part of the Rail slot. Yeah I know they go closer to the barrel. But I want the bayonet to mean something. For it to mean something, it has to have a drawback. Losing a Laser Sight, Foreward Grip, or Extended Mag makes for a choice and a meaningful one.

Also I'm going to go further.. it replaces the Knife. So it locks that slot out. Or rather replaces it.

Can't be used with the sidearm equipped. That doesn't even make sense.

Finally, its 'arc' is going to be low. Almost pinpoint. You're stabbing, not slicing with it.

Oh damn, lots of downsides. So what is its bonus?

Its effectively equipped always when the primary is out. No need to press 8 to equip it to get the most out of it. In fact having your primary out is the best use of it. Though it defaults to being used (as if you pressed 8) if you run out of ammo (primary and sidearm).

Its range is 2m. It literally hits whatever your center of the screen is pointing at within 2m.

It does so quickly, as quick as a quick knife. It also does it at 150 RPM. So actually abit quicker.

It ignores Heavy Shields, if we need a lore reason, its powered by a capacitor that gives it the ability to disrupt such things.

Its still a 2HK with NW5. Increase the damage accordingly.

So overall, its a .4s TTK weapon with a 2m range. A very quick but short lunge is performed.

There you go. An interesting weapon that doesn't replace other melee weapons and fills its own niche and playstyle. Great thing about it is it doesn't interact with the x-bow or commie due to not being able to quick knife with either equipped.
  9. customer548

Bayonets would vastly increase NC Tks. Please don't.

More seriously, bayonets would be out all time long on your weapon. How do you deal with Tk ? You follow a teammate. The teammate is suddenly under fire, he has to backpedal, then is damaged by your bayonet because you kept moving forward during 0.5 to 1 second ?

And bayonets would have to be rendered. In oder to let your opponent know that he has to anticipate your movements and this threat. (I don't think all people would equip this, so it has to be rendered if equiped).
  10. Eternaloptimist

Well, some very interesting and positive comments - thanks. TBH I was expecting to be called a noob or an idiot for this idea which just came to me and was on the forum before I gave it any serious thought.

I see the point about accidentally stabbing allies but maybe the fact that you have to lunge with it (right click/ADS/mousewheel?) would reduce the danger. But even so, running into someone holding out a bladed weapon is dangerous...........though not as much as running into an allie's stream of bullets.

I will have a go at learning the knifing reacion, as suggested, because TBH I don't see bayonets coming along any time soon. I did the same thing with learning to focus on the cross hairs rather than just the target when trying to hip fire and that worked (eventually).
  11. Taemien

That doesn't happen IRL, why would it happen in game? You're playing a trained soldier, not a hipster with down syndrome.

What's the issue here? Other rifle attachments are rendered.
  12. customer548

Because players are often packed, move in groups, stick together. It wouldn't make any sense if bayonets would not deal damages to teammates. We're all digital hipsters from space.

I don't really know. Maybe my opinion is an erroneous one here. But most of players already have more or less low framerates. Maybe adding bayonets rendering would add CPU-GPU ressources consumption, especially during large infantry battles. It may result to lower framerates. Knive-bayonets models are complex, have a lot of polygons to render.
  13. ColonelChingles

I thought that the US Army dropped the bayonet assault course in 2010?

Bayonets, like crossbows and revolvers, are rather obsolete pieces of equipment in the 21st century.
  14. Taemien

At their own peril. But then again when I was in, they were teaching us how to do operations fromHMMVWs. Not everything the Army does is effective. Coming across enemy with bayonet equipped AK47s or other close combat weapons will teach a sore lesson for future generations. Just like how futile HMMVW's were against IEDs.

The Bayonet assault course wasn't actually much. It was literally one day of training that culminated with the course, you ate lunch, then went and did Pugil Sticks. I'd imagine they still do the Pugil Stick training. The purpose wasn't to train with the bayonet. But to inspire confidence and readiness for close quarter combat.

The doctrine is to clear buildings after all, instead of leveling them. If we simply leveled every building and city that had enemy in it. I'd agree, some of the CQC stuff is irrelevant. But they're going for contradictory elements. Lets clear the building, but use assault rifles to do it. But that is why we've had over 4000 killed in 10 years sad to say. Too much politics (between DoD and Executive Branch, not party).

Crossbows are only obsolete because of how cumbersome they are. They're not small. Movies make the hand crossbow seem like its the ninja silent killing weapon. But unless you get close, and really close, and have really superb aim. You're going to piss someone off. There's better tools for the silent kill available. Some are even less high tech than the crossbow.

Revolvers have their place as well. 9mm and 45acp and semi auto's in general are... good for what they are. Sidearms. For pistols that would be a a primary assigned weapon, the .357mag is pretty freaking good. Its reliable, won't jam like ever, has great range and stopping power. And you can reload pretty fast with a speed loader. Of course in a battlefield I just don't see the use. MPs could use it for their thing. I know my local prison uses it for escapees. It provides the range and accuracy needed to take down a fleeing inmate (if they are running, they are shot on sight in my state). But for combat you need a good round and a few more than 6. It wasn't unheard of to see the .38spc used in Viet Nam though. Or the M1 Carbine modifed to be a pistol for that matter.

Speaking of carbine.. I went to the range with my dad a few months ago. He shot one of my targets with a .30 carbine revolver from about 50 yards away, the target being the size of a grapefruit. Cockya-s bastard to say the least lol. Oh well he's salty because I'm better with the 1911. But enough off topic stuff there.
  15. FIN Faravid

It would be best to give it it's own slot. Eguipping it would increase recoil or decrease accuracy, but you would get longer melee range and do more damage in melee.
    In real life even short bull up rifles have bayonets, and they are actually more useful in modern day battlefield than longer rifles with bayonets. But this is a game, so i say just give bayonets to most weapons with identical stats. Pistols and smgs and shotguns are only weapons that should not be given bayonets, though i am not sure about shotguns.