What do you think 2017 will bring?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EvilWarLord, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Scr1nRusher

Mirta00 is a shining example of your point being proven correct
  2. Liewec123

thats so backwards, you realise that you are the problem right? people who encourage others not to spend money on a F2P game and then wonder why they get shut down for not making money.

perhaps you should be encouraging people to support something they enjoy?
    how is supporting something you enjoy a wasted investment?!

if people like you spread the doom and gloom "don't spend money because the game will shut down!" perspective then you may aswell be shutting it down yourself.
    no money, no game.
    • Up x 2
  3. DirArtillerySupport

Guaranteed...if someone says they are leaving...they'll be back. There really is no where meaningful or long-term to go for Combined Arms MMOFPS and hasn't been since 2003. SOE released some half baked “construction” 4 years into PS1. It was a combat engineers wet dream but that was basically the end of any major content before they shut down further development of the game. It feels the same.
  4. Alyz

Just logged on to say I completely agree with Liewec.
    If you don't enjoy the game, please just leave without spreading this kind of FUD and killing the joy for others.
    I don't think there's any reason to believe that PS2 will be shut down any time soon. In fact, I believe that they built in two fairly effective ways to make money without annoying people: boosters including implant energy and decorations.

If anything, they will try to expand on these with more stuff for vehicles to customize, more animations, more implants, more stuff to build and unlock (to spend more XP and resource boosters), possibly outfit housing with customizable interiors.

They might make another continent and instead merge servers for better population balancing, but that's unlikely (nothing for players to spend money on, really) if it doesn't result in substantial savings on server hardware.

By now, the network infrastructure seems fairly stable even in very large battles with a few things left to tweak, so the code monkeys will be free to focus on new things (instances? space battles? who knows..).
    The population balancing with a strict queue seems to work most of the time. The victory point system is okay-ish but the continent locking sucks, so a bit of work needed there for the rules dept, including tweaking of weapons and skills.

If they wanted to spice things up, they could introduce weather effects or natural desasters like giant space hamsters and earthquakes.. But my guess is they'll now focus on making money without trying to piss off too many players in the process.
  5. Mirta00

Hardly. Its simply wise investment choice (of which arguably computer games aren't anyway).

Its common knowledge in most places that this game is poorly run (with overbearing nerfs and things neglected for years), has a substantial issue with script use and denial (hitbox abuse being one major and very amateur one) and is poorly (even if asymmetrically) balanced.

Its also not the least bit welcoming to new players and is badmouthed in most other fps games I play.

So no its not worth supporting financially. Should that change, the playerbase growth and revenue will reflect that.

I enjoy the game personally. But I would never ever recommend it or that people invest money in it. Sorry.
    • Up x 2
  6. Iridar51

At the rate updates have been coming lately, it'd be nice to get a patch. At least one. Hopefully.
  7. Scr1nRusher

Soon.

Keep track of PTS patches
  8. Iridar51

All I see is PTS patches. Would be nice to see some of that on live eventually.
  9. adamts01

I'm a new player. About a month and 500 hours in, so I can't comment on the goings on of the past. But from what I've heard, a new company bought this game recently, so you can really only judge the work that's been completed in the past year. Construction was a huge undertaking, one which I've spent real money to max out, and I feel it went over very well, especially considering it's still in it's first generation. I also hear population is way up since construction was released and the new company took over. I guarantee that no company that's going out of business any time soon would be expanding staff and spending this much on development. I also think the game is friendly enough to new players. Flying is a *****, but I've got 120 hours in my Mosquito and feel very comfortable against ground, and with pods and a rotary I can pretty much go 1:1 in the air, so that's cool. The grind is real but you can specialize in two infantry classes and two vehicles and be pretty competitive with all of those within a week, so that's alright. And I didn't even go through the whole tutorial, I warped in to combat as soon as possible. Oh, and I've been using a mouse and keyboard for only 6 months now. And like someone else mentioned, there's really nothing else out there for a huge combined arms game like this. Sure Battlefield has a similar field, but it's still 1 match win/lose, start over. It's nothing like these hours long battles over an entire continent. Anyway, I'm very happy with this game, bought a 1 year membership while it was on sale, bought 10k of in game cash to get some more options and plan to spend more eventually. Just one new player's perspective.
  10. ThreePi

I think/hope that there will be a new continent that maybe has a few of the major bases, but otherwise is largely driven by player construction. I like defending and assaulting player built bases, but they're kind of just ignorable side-bits to the game. I think continents and alerts that are construction-focused will come in the future.
  11. Taemien

I said the same thing about a year and a half ago. I said that if they merged servers by Oct'15 the game would close in February. If not it'd be closed in October of this year. This was due to the separation from Sony, and the massive layoffs.

However.. the changes, additions, and fixes have breathed new life into the game. The PTS has tons of new stuff being tested to come, and the features being worked on (the new armor is looking amazing, and has a TON of PS potential). I'd say the game has 3-5 years in it at least.

Even a server merger at this point wouldn't signal the end of the game.
    • Up x 1
  12. Liewec123

no it isn't.
    you enjoy the game yet you encourage everyone not to pay to keep it running.
    if everyone listened to you then the game would be shutdown within months,
    no company will pay for a game that they aren't making money from.

i feel like i'm paying your bills right now.
  13. OldMaster80

I hope for a better integration between construction system and lattice.
    Also some good for the Valkyrie which is still a piece of flying garbage.

The best thing imho would be a new continent with new biomes.
  14. Punyakarn910

I was the group admin of planetside 2 thailand community and i was created poll last month asked group member what is a good idea to bring in the game in the future and and here the list (around 200 member voted)

- Navel Warfare : 54%

- Space Warfare : 22%

- Weather System : 19%

- Artillery : 3%

- Walker Vehicle : 1%

- BF1 Bayonet charge : 0.75%

- EXO-Suit : 0.25%

- PlanetSide 1 Autometic doors : 0%

This is was the idea that my group member adding on the list. I hope developer listen to the player what we want more.

Also new cinematic would be the good idea to getting people attention since this game already got the great back story, Blizzard would be the great example.
  15. Eternaloptimist

Other factions will stop fighting NC because they cannot match the level of damage that NC do to themselves with TKing. Instead, construction system will include ability for VS and TR to construct viewing stands, bleachers and fast food franchises so they can watch the antics in comfort.

International Millerlympic Committee will introduce random hack tests on all TR avatars before they are allowed to compete (not just the Russians...........oh, did I say that out loud?).

Alien tech turns out to cause delusional psychosis from prolonged use - explanation for persecution complexes about ZOE and PPA finally discovered as a result (VS medkits will now contain monoamine oxidisers to treat the problem).

Engies will get a new armour option - airbags - giving resistance to being run over by allied vehicles they are repairing.

Infils will get a new decoy - the floating head/pistol - to simulate an improperly cloaked infil (screams authentically when shot).

All players will get an option to auto display a 'do not disturb' sign when dead - to help medics stop wasting their effing time (and life). Medics will have to attend mortality and morbidity conferences on other players they didn't rezz successfully (works like a weapon lock)

LA will get a new and useful item for their tool slot - a spring loaded C4 catapult, as it is a bit dangerous to have to get within chucking distance just to do a bit of damage.

HA overshields will cost resources to recharge - Congressional Committee will be formed to investigate unexplained decline in HA numbers.

Maxes will become vulnerable to bad language.

And I will continue to have a great time playing this game, which continues to defy predictions of its death (maybe I'll even improve a little bit) :)
  16. Mirta00

I feel like you are simply adding your own specific interpretation to what I have said and then implied my meaning for me, which I suppose is fair, since we only have our own viewpoints from which to do so, but its not quite right either. I'm not some nasty thief who doesn't care about anything but my own fun.

So I enjoy the game yes - but primarily because there isn't an alternative that offers the same sort of experience. I'm not encouraging freeloading (as I abhor that in real life) but i certainly don't believe in encouraging mediocrity by funding that either. Admittedly its a difficult mix. ''Beggars cant be choosers'' as they say. Should people have to contribute something to a product? I usually answer yes actually. But this model is f2p (the only one I've bothered with infact) and I avoid that in favour of subscription only models usually.

In turn, considering that design, I feel that's a very poor reason to simply to continue to fund something that is very old and requiring substantial investment/overhaul (that lets be honest it likely won't receive) when its based upon giving people a reason or desire to invest in it. Something, aside from its uniqueness in the market, I feel they no longer do.

An awful analogy; but you might liken it to a poor person who is being fed scraps to survive. The food is passable, perhaps even enjoyable - but they also consume it out of necessity. They lack an alternative. Not because its ideal. That's a little like how I see it. Certainly I don't 'have' to play it in this case no - but I've also seen plenty of you agree that Planetside 2 draws interest, because of a lack of other games like it. Would any of you be playing this if there were? I'd prefer to see the game meet its potential or at least try to, rather than be left to the devices of devs who leave it hanging because they know there are no other offerings in competition. You may argue they need money to achieve that, I may argue that they need to earn that money by putting in an investment of their own and actually showing a willingness to address years old problems first.

That's how area's of this game feel to me at least. Plenty I'm sure will disagree.

Now whilst I accept you are ''paying your bills'' as you put it, I haven't asked you to. That's not meant as a dismissal of your point either - but to claim its my intent to freeload is wrong. After all you aren't forced to pay if you don't wish to and I don't expect you to on my behalf.

I would invest if I saw potential for longevity but I don't at this stage. I'll likely be around a while to see if that should change but not forever. I can be grateful for a experience without having much faith in those controlling it. Which I don't. They don't demand a fee and if they aren't going to give a reason to pay out either, why should I?

The moment they show an inkling of improving the games foundations and not leaving certain elements of the game neutered to worthlessness comparatively, I may change my mind. But that's how you earn customers by making a good impression yourself (or at least addressing these topics) - and not leaving the apologetics to the vanguard of forum vets defending you.
    • Up x 2
  17. Liewec123

a fair response, and i can see your point of view, even if we disagree. ;)
    • Up x 1
  18. EPIC389

More raging on the forums

Not that im complaining

Popcoooorn...
    • Up x 1
  19. Ximaster

Xbox version of planetside 2...
  20. FIN Faravid

Hopefully Vulkan and +40 FPS.
    Then i just turn my graphic settings higher and complain about bad perfomance again ;) And sadly it would take huge effort. It certainly is worth it long term, but at the moment we propably have more urgent matters.
    I say propably, becouse we don`t know how many people quit Planetside/never properly start due to bad perfomance.