So about the NC having a railgun for a sniper rifle.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ButterNutts, Aug 13, 2016.

1. ButterNutts

Has there been talk about using a railgun for the Vanguard?

I've only just got back on PS2 after 2 years so I don't know if it's been mentioned or not and pretty sure the Railjack was released for the NC sometime when I was gone. Love the Railjack btw, main reason why i mean Infiltrator now.

But ya, the Vanguard, was that ever an idea? I even remember seeing some concept art of a Vanguard having a Railgun as it's main weapon.
  2. breeje

not by my knowledge, it's all about constructions now
    all we get are constructions and some balancing
  3. JKomm

It was an idea, in fact there are several AV oriented Railguns in the game files that have never been implemented... a Railgun main cannon, a Railgun secondary cannon, Railguns on the Reaver as well. I hope one day they get around to adding them as they would make NC's AV game so much more enjoyable.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ziggurat8

I like railgun better than "shotgun" for NC. Maybe use a charge/overcharge mechanic to balance the dps/range. Since the theory behind railguns = extraordinarily fast devastatingly powerful projectiles
  5. LaughingDead

Sweet mother of god, a railgun for the reaver?! I CAN SNIPE PLANES DOWN?! EVENTUALLY?!
  6. JKomm

They were conceived for wing mounts, well and a railgun machine gun for the nose, but the larger variant would absolutely be AV.
  7. JKomm

I like both honestly. But we've gotten enough shotguns, and the only railgun we have is a pathetic sniper rifle. What NC should be is Gauss for infantry, Railguns for vehicles. I wouldn't mind a charge mechanic on them either, Vanu love to complain about that mechanic but it'd work so much better for AV railguns.
  8. EvilWarLord

I would love a Rail Gun for my Vanguard
    [IMG]
  9. Campagne

You had me up until charge mechanic. In my opinion, the charge delay is what makes an excellent weapon like the Railjack bad. Because of the delay, the RJ is worse in practice than a standard Longshot. Of course a sniper rifle is very different from a vehicle-based AV weapon, but the disadvantage of a firing delay would still carry over, methinks.

In my opinion, railguns just need to fire very slowly to be balanced.
  10. JKomm

Here is how they should work. They have long reloads, and can be charged. But you can also fire them uncharged however, charging the weapon increases damage AND velocity. That gives a great incentive to do both. Unlike Vanu weapons however, charging doesn't use more "energy" or ammunition in their case, the delay is enough of a downside.
  11. EPIC389

There was a model for a secondary mbt railgun. I personally would've liked it to have replaced the enforcer and the enforcer tweaked and replaced the mjolnir as the close range weapon
    • Up x 1
  12. SanPelicano

So basically you want a high damage, high accuracy, high velocity chargeable weapon on the best armored tank, which can be used in cqc -> insane long range. Delay is not even a downside for skilled tankers.

Seems fair and balanced, just like the pre-nerfed Gatekeeper. Dont you want an 'i win' button also?
  13. Cyropaedia

The VS could get a persistent hitscan laser that melts Vanguards and Prowlers also. :p
  14. LaughingDead

You really took things 8th level didn't you?
    How bout paralax! I know how many vanu players love that weapon! Delay? Psh. Obviously delays don't matter no matter how long they are! Charging automatically means CQ, weapon, never heard of the CQ and long range god such as the paralax?! It's so OP no matter what the values of any of the values are.

Sonny boy, taking a simple concept and calling it OP makes you look like an igit. There are ways to balance literally everything. Let's take, fortuna for example. Long range carbine with underbarrel shotgun SOUNDS OP, is it in practice? No. The longer range simply meant it was longer range than the majorty of other carbines. An underbarrel shotgun meant it also has no foregrip, meaning it's less accurate.

How bout the vanu get a CQ melt laser on their tank that does continuous damage over time?
    Sounds OP? I could make it 2 meters in length.

Point is D.O.N.T.
  15. JKomm

No stats are even conveyed and yet you're already complaining it'll be overpowered. Any amount of firepower a Railgun would emit would likely be outshadowed by the sheer DPS of an Anchor Prowler anyway. As well, accuracy has nothing to do with tank cannons, and the Titan already has the highest damage and velocity. The only... and I mean ONLY factor of the Vanguard which makes it any sort of foe in the game is the shield.
  16. Campagne

I dislike this idea. Having a charged shot being a straight upgrade sort of "forces" players to fire charged shot almost always to achieve the highest DPS. If it were made so that uncharged shots could be fired faster, then they\d likely be superior due to the fact that PS2 inherently favours high RoF weapons.

In my opinion, the best way to incorporate a charge mechanic into a railgun like this would be to have it as a re-fire delay, that is to say the weapon cannot be fired again until X.Y seconds have passed, where X.Y > 0.

This would give the weapon an excuse to have a cool and interesting charge animation, possible along the sides of the barrel or some such thing. That way, it still has a kind of charge, but doesn't have the in my opinion awful charge-up or pre-firing delay mechanics.
  17. Liewec123

skip to 4:44
    it was called the Mass Driver :)
  18. EvilWarLord

I'm of the Impression the Vanguard Rail Gun should be a Long Range Alternative to the Other Vanguard Weapons,

Much Slower ROF than HE
    High Damage Model
    No Splash (Since the Rail Gun is essentially firing magnetically Propelled Rod)
    High Velocity
  19. EvilWarLord

The Esf weapons now known as, The Kestrel, Locust, and Antares Nose guns.
  20. JKomm

It would fire faster... you're not sitting through the charge-up delay. It could be that a full charge super-heats the barrel and so it needs a longer time to cooloff... in other terms it creates a longer reload. You get more damage, more velocity, but a much longer reload as well as it having taken time to charge up.