[Guide] Orbital Strike coming soon.!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by user101, Aug 8, 2016.

1. user101

Yes it is true.... its coming....! OS is coming... they confirmed it the DEV have confirmed it.. .

VS will be stocking up on OS certs.....!

GOD help us .... VS and NC with OS.... OMG.... ??????

I want to know how the DEV's are going to XP the kills.... does it go to the squad leader or the whole squad.
  2. FateJH

Probably shouldn't translate into experience points, to be honest.
    • Up x 1
  3. user101

I hope you have to be a BR120 to use OS certs.... that will cut down on OS.

OS is coming after the ion cannons...

For the newbes the OS box has to be put at the center point of the strike.
  4. DooDooBreff

i wonder whether or not the hype train will get derailed when the devs struggle to put it out, and it disappears like the rocklet rifle.
  5. OldMaster80

It's probably going to be connected to the construction of a specific structure, and specific conditions will probably have to be fulfilled. I expect it to have a relevant cooldown and the strike will probably be announced by a specific visual and sound effect so that players have a few seconds to run and take cover.
    • Up x 1
  6. ridicOne

I'm sure this implementation will sure help the performance issues that have been happening.
    Can't wait to see the complaints people have with these orbital strikes. Forumside will never fade :)
  7. Beerbeerbeer

I can see these things becoming a "fun" killer and people whining that great battles are nuked off the face of the continent.

Have a great battle going, poof, gone. An hour later, repeat. Kind of hammers away at the whole point of this game. I never liked these in PS1 either.

Stupid, let's find a way to prevent people from participating in the only game function. It's like buying a bicycle then having the same company throw nails on the road every mile.
  8. Who Garou

Probably targeted on a placed Orbital Strike module that can be no where near fixed bases, and usable mostly as a last ditch weapon against construction-base attackers.
  9. CNR4806

It's about god damn time.

Say what you want about how "unfun" OS will be, the game is sorely lacking this sort of bombardment capable of breaking a lattice gridlock.
    • Up x 1
  10. ColonelChingles

There could even be a mechanic where fresh fights won't be valid targets for an Orbital Strike, only stale, drawn-out fights. For example, if a base capture is taking ~5 minutes longer than it should (from the time when the point first flips I guess), then it would become a valid target.

Certain bases, like Biolabs or SNA, would always be valid targets because those are just horrible bases anyhow. :p The same would probably apply for the entirety of Hossin.
  11. user101

I can see where the DEVs would use the hives for OS as a cost... loose 1VP for an OS. It's going to cost a lot in some manner. The DEV are going to make you pay big time for this. Buckle up and buy those DBG memberships for OS... !!!

I can see a lot of PC crashing...coming soon also. And Graphics crashing also.
  12. Archiadus

Just an idea but since they're also working on that techplant weapon that disables shields it might be a good time to add those promised Dome Shields to bases (or at least the more important ones ?), could have them be powered by a generator so that infantry's got a chance at taking it out for the allied OS / Aircraft support and if that fails you'd attempt to build the cannon to disable it that way.
    • Up x 1
  13. Eternaloptimist

Um, I've seen a trend towards spam AoE in the last two years (kills, not skills). As a committed infatry player the idea of uber mega death weapons kinda turns me off tbh. The potential for going from tactical engagements to battlefiled nuclear exchanges feels a bit retrograde. But we'll see how it pans out.................attacking constructed bases is almost as horrible as biolabs and SNA so if it was restrictd in use then maybe not so bad. But it won't be will it? But think of the massive increase in NC TK potential :D
  14. Haquim

Well personally I love superweapons, despite them being of rather questionable use in reality.

I'd even go farther, I love it when weapons and vehicles have a clear cut power structure. Which is also why I hate the jokes we got for tanks. I'm usually more dangerous as light assault with my shotgun (and C4) than with an AI tank.

But the power of those weapons and vehicles must be proportional to the effort required to actually procure them. Lets see wether thats the case for this mystical orbital strike.
  15. Gundem

I wouldn't call that a "Stalemate" though. A Tug-of-War style fight where the capture point is constantly and hotly contested actually sounds like a great fight to me.

I agree that fresh fights should not be Strike Targets*, but I wouldn't want every fight ever to get nuked from orbit because the attackers didn't completely stomp the defenders within the time limit or vise-versa.

*There should be a way to hit Zergs with the orbital strike though. In a lot of cases, a large enough zerg is going to push through bases without any difficulty, thus having the inability to strike a target linked to how long they have been there would make it impossible to hit 8/10 zergs since they don't ever hang around that long in the first place.
  16. OldMaster80

One of the reasons why this has never been implemented is that it can potentially harm the game.

Imho if more than 1 Orbital Strike occurs every 60 minutes, then this system will be a problem. This must be perceived like an exceptional event, it should never be normality.

OS must be intended by players like a precious tactical tool to get rid of unorganized zergs, or to eliminate Sundies / enemy nests. Something to brake players bases defenses.
    If it will be implemented like some kind of "smart bomb for veterans" ("OMG FARM KILLZ LOL!") then it will be a disaster.
    • Up x 1
  17. kr47er

Exactly the bases where an OS would be useless.

Problems much with hossin? It's harder to drive your tank and too much cover for the LA's to blow it, uh? :D
  18. ColonelChingles

Well ideally the Orbital Strike would penetrate cover and ground to kill everything there.

Essentially the OS is a message to players that "Hey, you're fighting this base wrong. Be smarter about it or you're all going to die again."
  19. OldMaster80

If it will ever work like in planetside 1 then it will look rather strange: any roof cover should block the OS. That's one of the reasons why I didn't want OS to be implemented: it's a massive laser shot coming from the sky disintegrating everything... but buildings.
    So one basically steps inside a building (without door!) and it should be completely safe.

In theory the only place where to unleash an OS in a Biolab should be the landing pad.
  20. ColonelChingles

Oh that's no fun. I've been a proponent of "piercing cover" for awhile now. Cover should be split into several categories, which selectively block projectiles dependant on their size and power.

For example, take a typical Planetside wall. Maybe half a foot to a foot of reinforced concrete equivalent. Heavy weapons, like AP tank shells should pretty easily penetrate that.

[IMG]

So walls in PS2 would be able to stop bullets and other low-power weapons, but heavier weapons would completely ignore cover. This would lead to interesting situations where you could engage an enemy tank through a building if you knew she was on the other side.

As far as OS goes, lasers should pierce whatever cover there is to kill everything in the radius.