[Suggestion] Empire specific special weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by kr47er, Jul 13, 2016.

1. kr47er

I'm quite pissed off about infantry empire especific weapons in general, I mean about heavy guns, e.s. rocket launchers, e.s. snipers...
    This weapons should be the pride of each empire, but for some reason there are all underpowered. I cant speak about TR because I rarely play it, still I'll give some ideas.

Rocket launcher mechanics are nice to me, but I think they need a damage buff.

Sniper mechanics are complete crap, they totally go against the sniper concept.
    For the TR I would recomend a slow firing semi-auto sniper with big recoil that would 1-headshot kill infantry,
    For the NC I would recomend a bolt action that could 1-chestshot kill infantry at medium range, but with a shotgun slug bullet velocity and great bullet drop
    And for the VS I would recomend a bolt action with no bullet drop and instant bullet travel, i would also maintain heat mechanic here.

Heavy gun mechanics are also good, but still they need some changes
    All shotguns in general including Jackhammer need a performance fix
    The Chaingun needs a quicker spin-up mechanic. Not much, just a little.
    The Lasher needs a buff, it looks quite underpowered comparing to the other two. It has a lot of posibilities to it, but it needs to be substantial.

Btw it would be nice seeing jakhammers, chainguns and lashers for LA/MAX

P.S.: fix general performance!!
  2. Demigan

I'm listening

Eh, you want to try to balance that a little? A bolt-action that one-shots on the chest for NC? A bit over the top don't you think? Or a hitscan limitless ammo sniper? You crazy?

How about this:
    The TR get their Trap upgraded. The idea behind the Trap is actually pretty damn awesome. A sniper that can function both as a long-range weapon as well as short-ranged combat rifle? At long-range it might be easier if you had less recoil or something so that you can land more shots in a short amount of time.

NC could get something like a charge rifle. Low charge has normal velocity bullets, higher charge increases speed and damage. no OHK's on the chest. Once charged it auto-fires.

Don't have a quick idea for the VS ready, but it certainly isn't going to be a hitscan weapon with infinite ammo.
    • Up x 5
  3. UberNoob1337101

I think it's because they prioritize balancing over nuts effects. I mean, I'd like cool and very powerful ES stuff, but it'd cause such chaos within the community that we'd end up nerfing all of it to trash status, or that they'd be just OP. I'm satisfied with the current state of ES gear, but IMHO some of them need a slight buff.
    They'd be too good then. Lancer could use a slight buff though, and all charge weapons need the ability to hold charges indefinitely and they should charge slightly faster because the charge-up mechanic is a huge DPS killer, therefore it's pretty bad solo unlike Phoenix and Striker, which are actually pretty viable solo.
    Those ideas would actually be really imbalanced and would be really crap, because they would make current gear insanely inferior. The TR one is a straight-up better semi-auto sniper and potentially better than the bolt-actions, because if it can 1-shot headshot infantry, it would also probably 2-shot people, and it would probably be a better version of a bolt-action and semi-auto sniper. The NC one would suck. Shotgun slug pellet and heavy drop are terrible for snipers, so the only range that it would kind of be usable is 40m or so. Why do that, while the T3 bolt-action allows you to OHK targets out to 300m and has super high velocities? I could see someone making a noscope montage with it and people use it as a super aggro CQC sniper, but for actual sniping it would be really bad. The VS one would be flat overpowered. Instant bullet travel AND no bullet drop, with the heat mechanic? The farm would be real, nobody could avoid it and it would dominate at any range. No please.
    True that, shotguns in general need an accuracy buff. Chaingun also needs a slight buff to the spin-up. I agree with that. I think that it has more to do with supression being so useless and super situational (and the fact that it takes teamwork to really shine) than the Lasher being bad. If it was better in 1v1s, i'd say the gun would be pretty balanced with other LMGs.
    Those things on LAs... no, please... you don't know what you're doing... It would really suck to get mowed down by spammed chaingun fire and disco balls from unreachable places...
    • Up x 1
  4. Khallixtus

ES weapons would be awesome. The only problem is the abundant twelve year olds that would cry !!NERF!! at everything they don't have after they got killed by it once because they don't have it and must be OP. You can see it with some weapons today, there are people whining about tank guns, heavy weapons etc. But the game balances out in most areas, and after some careful work, weapons having more empire specificity could greatly improve the game... until people start pointlessly complaining.

That, and it's hard to get all these weapon ideas and have them balanced at the same time. When things are different its much harder to balance them. Would still be awesome to have these ES weapons as the only weapons, but don't expect it to happen any time soon.
  5. Insignus

As TR, I will say that a number of the ES sniper rifles are decent, as I imagine they are clones of other faction's weapons, but the featured ES Sniper weapon, the TRAP, is perhaps the worst weapon in the game. I have literally never actually seen someone shoot it outside of VR. This tells you that not only is it not a good weapon, its so bad that people are actively telling others to not use it under any circumstances. I've listened in on veteran infils giving people pointers. Newbies ask what rifle they want, then ask "What about the TRAP? That looks pretty useful."

Veteran: "Don't use it. It has bad accuracy, the burst fire options are not usable at the range its designed for, and the damage means you have no chance to OHK no matter how could your aim is. Don't bother with it, it'll just slow you down and give you bad habits."

If it were classed as a scout rifle, maybe it'd be good.But its not.

Our ES Launcher, the Striker, however, is nice-ish. Has crappy damage versus vehicles. Could use a higher fire rate, to be honest, that would be an acceptable buff that wouldn't be too OP.
  6. Lemposs

You know once in a while, it is nice to be reminded that the development team actually is quite good at their job balancing the game :p

Hitscan snipers and OHK snipers, urgh...
    • Up x 1
  7. SwornJupiter

Pretty sure all factions already have this. A bolt action rifle that can OHK-headshot infantry... yeah, all factions already have a variant. Also, there's a concerning lack of dakka in this suggestion, which opposes the entirety of the TR's ethos.
  8. Eternaloptimist

A BASR with straight pull bolt seems to act like a slow firing semi auto already and is available to all factions.

ES snipers all have unique traits. They should however some kind of unique tactical niche and I don't know how well they do that (I've only used the Railjack and I can confirm that it is not noticeably better than the top tier SRs like Parallax, Longshot or RAMS .50 in any particular situation). The only possible exception is the multi role nature of the TRAP sniper/burst rifle.

I guess shotguns could do with some improvement across the board but how do you make a low tech buckshot weapon empire specific with any credibility? All factions have auto, semi auto and pump action models. I don't see any reason to go further than that. Shottys are crude weapons in comparison to other primaries.

ES rocket lauchers are already very specifically different from the generic stuff. Unlike ES snipers they all seem to have a clear niche and it centres around finsihing off damaged large vehicles or killing maxes and smaller vehicles-
    • Striker coyote mechanism (anti air),
    • charge up and awesome range for Lancer (nasty surprises for distant vehicles) and
    • camera guidance plus a unique damage mechanic for Phoenix (guide to target who have lower resistance).
    It seems a bit OP to give them more killing power on top of those things. But maybe something to provide a bit more difference between the Sriker and the NS multi shot RL, the Swarm. Extending coyote mechanic to ground vehicle targets might be something.

I've never used ES heavy weapons so no comment on that.
  9. QuebraRegra

when to we get the Prothean particle rifles? ;)
  10. Dualice

Slow... firing... sorry, not familiar with that phrase.

Can only assume it means even more bullets per second. In which case, rock on!
  11. kr47er

about TR: I think that with a slower traveling bullet and 80 rpm it may be "balanced". It would be a quick firing tsar with slower bullets.Also I started the post saying that es weapons need to be weapons to fear, and also that I cant speak about the current arsenal of the TR because i dont use it.

about NC: I think thats kinda the way of the NC arsenal. aggro CQC.

about VS: imagine it with an archer chamber time and with the heat mechanic overheating with 1 shot.

conclussion: I dont know if theese would be good es snipers, just giving ideas, but I hardly disagree with the actual mechanics. the punishments are too big compared to the provided advantages. they need restructuring.

P.S.: I cant admit cone on fire on semi auto snipers. actually i cant admit CoF at all. weapon have recoil, not CoF. its weird on the scout rifles, but on snipers... Come on, how could you call this a sniper with such inaccuracy?
  12. FateJH

We're not going to be reconstructing the firing mechanics of the game entirely so let's not get too deep into that.

If it were just recoil, excessive practice would turn anyone into a fully-automatic headshot junky who never would have to let their finger off the trigger until their reload cycle. (Unless it was the kind of recoil where pulling your mouse had no corrective effect.) Cone of fire enforces fire control and also allows for weapons to be varied based on accuracy when it comes to engagement range.
  13. Hegeteus

Almost every ES related thing in this game could use some tweaking and revitalizing.

Balance problems in my opinion would be a small price for having actually interesting and varying mechanics. There are a lot of games that are known for a wonky balance, but they make up for it with fun and engaging mechanics(which is why people play them in the first place). Planetside 2 would be the perfect playground for making a crazy, wild scifi shooter game since it doesn't really have a competetive side to it.

PS: I'm not saying screw balance altogether, but largely nerf-based balance updates are just making this game blander(that and exclusively NS weapons and vehicles)
  14. AxiomInsanity87

Hitscan sniper with infinite ammo....

LA's with heavy weapons....

15. Who Garou

So the OP has a Vanu main ...
  16. breeje

stop, i have to stop you here
    yes the trap is not for newbie's, you're wright here
    but the trap is a monster in skilled hands
    when i started with the trap i also had some trouble, until i figured out how to use it
    the power of the trap is it's diversity, knowing when to use 1, 2 or 3 bullets and the stealth of the infill

the name of the weapon says everything, TRAP is it main goal - 3 bullets
    also good at 15 to 50 meters - 2 bullets
    one bullet to chip some health away from range or get that kill on the wounded animal

for that veteran infill you speak of, he needs to put some time in to this weapon to get the feeling for it
    and this means getting killed allot for 2 weeks = bad KDR = bad reputation = feeling bad for 2 weeks = not worth my time = bad weapon
  17. Halkesh

Well currently these weapon already exist, but not for the nation/class you want ;).
    Your TR idea is similator to Phaseshif, after balance your VS idea is look like Railjack, and your NC weapon idea already exist with 450 nanite : double AV MAXes or titan AP. To my opinion sniper that OHK in the chest shouldn't exist in this game for nanite-free classes.

About shotgun, what do you call a performance change ?
  18. CaptCran

TR is about speed. Slow is not in their vocabulary........ well, maybe some are slow mentally.

TR should have the speed they deserve. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger GAU-8 Avenger Rate of fire 4,200 rpm
    Or duel mini guns on a MAX https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun Rate of fire Variable, 2,000–6,000 rpm
    There is nothing in game for TR that comes close to these speeds. I demand justice!!!!!!!
    And what's up with the Lynx with a RPM of 909 beating out the Onslaught of 492....... it's a multi barrel gun for crap sake, and don't get me started on the T4 AMP at 938 RPM !!!!

NC should have hard hitting **** but bad range BUT fast vehicles to close the gap (_________) fill in the blank. (I'm not NC)

VS have the energy weapons laser/light speed no drop off and tampons....... maybe shake that sand outta the vag:eek: (_________) (I'm not VS so pick something)