Rocket rifle on PTS

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by McMan, May 8, 2016.

1. Cirena

How often do you see coordinated Lancer or Phoenix squads that completely demolishes all tanks around them? Very rarely I guess.
    How often will you see coordinated Rocklet squads on a much less played class? Even more rarely I guess!

People had similar concerns when someone made that video of an infil squad ganking tanks with explosive bolt crossbows.

Relax. It'll be fine :)
  2. Unclematos7

After 3 1/2 years, LA FINALLY got a tool. I might come back just to spam this thing because it looks fun.
  3. cobaltlightning

Everyone will have access to the Rocklet from the get-go. No one gets Explosive Xbows or Lancers on account creation.
    Not saying things won't be fine, just that literally everyone will have them.
  4. cobaltlightning

Delicious internet lag leads to a double post.
    Where's that trash can button?
  5. Cirena

Yeah everyone will probably be playing LA for a week but then they'll hop back on their adadad HAs or lolpod deliverers.
  6. Liewec123

i always saw a jetpack as a pretty awesome tool, certainly the one with the most applications!
  7. Iridar51

Except it's an ability, not a tool...
  8. Liewec123

an argument could be made, all of the class abilities are bounds to the ability key, stealth, ammo, shield, regen, max skills.
    also from a logical standpoint its not really an "ability" its the whopping great thrust jet (tool) strapped to your back XD
  9. Iridar51

It's an ability because the jet pack goes into ability slot.
  10. Corezer

I love these idiots.

if the jetpack is a tool, fine, then we need an ability. The ability to shoot a bunch of grenades seems ok to me.
    • Up x 2
  11. FirePhox

It's a tool, and an ability; because LA so OP with elevation advantage xDDD

meanwhile other classes can get higher ground with beacons, or by simply jumping up vertical walls and trivialise the LA.
  12. Iridar51

Yes, I agree, other classes shouldn't be able to jump and go upwards in any way, including gravity lifts, jump pads and aircraft. Only two-dimensional movement should be allowed. Oh and **** stairs while you're at it.

/sarcasm

Being able to change positions literally on the fly is main advantage of LA, not being able to move along Z-axis.

I get where you're coming from, and some movement mechanics are more exploitable than they probably should be, but there's no need for this victim complex. There are lots of inherent issues in LA core design. But other classes sometimes being able to get to same places while spending disproportionally more time isn't one of them.
  13. Corezer

Just noticed, we have the tool slot on live. patch shouldn't be long now...

also looking forward to weighted frags.
  14. FirePhox

I think you're missing the point a little bit; getting the higher ground with beacons or by walking up a hill/stairs is a legitimate tactic so no problems there, but jumping up vertical walls is basically abusing an exploit. Ever play WSG on WoW? I used to jump up the 90degree walls to get into areas I shouldn't be or to hide the flag where my opponents couldn't get to it; was it something you could do? yes, but was it something the devs intended for you to do? definitely not. (it was later patched out) My main problem with it is every single other class in the game (cept maybe the engineer) is more dangerous than a light assualt when they have the higher ground, infiltrators are about 10x more dangerous with invisibility and one hit kill weapons, and for the situations where you can't get higher ground, you're basically better off playing any other class. (this may change with the introduction of the RR)

It just annoys me hugely when I see morons claiming that the jetpack is so powerful that Light Assualts don't deserve a tool. Being able to get into and out of combat quickly with LA is a nice perk, and in my opinion, the thing that makes the LA so much more enjoyable than the other classes to play; but the height advantage is the main reason you would want to have the Jetpack, and unlike the medic and HA (and arguably infiltrator) using the LA's ability in combat actually gives you a massive disadvantage, it basically makes you a sitting duck since you can't hit anything outside of pointblank range.

Anyway this is getting too off topic so lets get back to the rocklet rifle. I want to see the Rocklet Rifle (which is classified as an Aerial weapon) introduce some serious aerial combat to the class, and justify that jetpack as more than just a repositioning tool. Wrel has already said that mid air combat is in development so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they have brewing.
  15. Iridar51

We can agree on that.
    But not on that. Getting height advantage and shooting at oblivious / exposed targets is how we have evolved to be. Specifically because of the reasons you mentioned - every other class is stronger in a straight up fight.

But it's certainly not the main reason to have a jet pack. Main reason is broader - just to have mobility, and ability to quickly change positions. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, other classes can potentially offer more in the same position, but they give up mobility in return.

To give you an exaggerated example, that's like comparing ESF and MBT. Yes, if MBT could fly, they could rain so much hurt from above, while being much tougher to kill. They can sometimes do that, on bases with fitting terrain and higher ground. But more often than not, they can't do that, and even if they do get in that superior position, they can't switch to another position rapidly.

Agreed 100%, though I don't see how Rocklet can accomplish this. It seems that the most we can expect is to occasionally steal a kill while drifting by a mispositioned vehicle. I sincerely hope some anti-infantry aerial combat is coming, because fighting vehicles as infantry is always a losing battle.
  16. Daigons

A few unchecked Engineers positioned at lofty places can rain death down upon both infantry & vehicles alike when they are using Mana AV Turrets. Once in a while you'll find a zerg fight where snipers are not looking in the right direction and you can rake in tons of kills.
  17. AxiomInsanity87

I would like to understand why the medic was given the AR and not LA. It's kind of wasted on a class that needs to res everyone when sht gets intense. I think medics should have had carbines as LA would have more use for an ASSAULT rifle.
  18. Iridar51

It would make sense, as medics are often surprised with med tool in hand, and they need to be able to quickly return fire from the hip. It would also be consistent with other support class, the engi, getting a carbine and not AR. It also goes against LA being an assault class.

On another hand, I have a strong dislike for splitting classes into support and combat. To ensure fun and competitive gameplay, all classes must be equally potent in combat, their tools and abilities merely affect HOW they approach combat, not how much combat can they dish out.

To be honest, all weapons have strengths and weaknesses, I would just unlock all primary weapon types to all classes and let them choose.
    • Up x 1
  19. AxiomInsanity87

I guess yeah. I will always dislike the decision though.
  20. Iridar51

Me too. It's just a bad implementation and the worst part is nothing being done to address it.
    • Up x 1