Is there any way to manually adjust the refresh rate?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheSunlikeOne, Jun 29, 2016.

1. TheSunlikeOne

Greetiings. The day before yesterday my videocard died. So I bought the new(-ish) one. Unfortunately it hasn't got VGA interface, so I'm using VGA-DVI adapter. The problem is, that PC cannot identify which resolutions and refresh rates aren't supported by my display and it shows "out of range" error when I'm trying to play PS2 in fullscreen mode (I think the game sets 85 Hz, which isn't supported by my display). Changing the display is not an option, since I hate with my very essence widescreen displays (16:9, 16:10. 21:9, etc.), and you can't find new 4:3 display that doesn't cost a fortune. I've seen some folks suggesting to use "windowed fullscreen" instead of "fullscreen", but you can't adjust the brightness this way, and it's absolutely horrible to fight during nights.

TL;DR: Is there any way to adjust the refresh rate of the display set by the game? I tried to find that option in "UserOptions.ini" without any success. Need your help.
  2. Stormsinger

From memory, I believe that you can set refresh rate to a forced value via the Nvidia control panel. ATI may have something similar, although i'm not sure on that one.
  3. TheSunlikeOne

Unfortunately, there is no such option Nvidia control panel.
  4. fumz

5. Stormsinger

6. TheSunlikeOne

Thanks for replying, but this methods don't work in my case. You see, the game automatically sets >75hz if I try to play fullscreen mode, ignoring Nvidia CP. Driver method doesn't work either, because VGA-DVI adapter doesn't support blocking certain resolutions and refresh rates no matter which driver I'm using right now.
  7. Stormsinger

Hmmmm, yeah - that would make sense. It most likely isn't working in fullscreen for the same reason that brightness control doesn't work in windowed.

What model of monitor do you have, and what video card? I'll see if I can find a more specific solution for you - I don't believe you'll find refresh rate control within Planetside 2.

Also, out of curiosity... why do yo dislike widescreen monitors? I did too at first, it took a few months to get used to... but now that i've been using them for years, it's always jarring to go back to 4:3, especially since so many game UI's / Webpages are designed for widescreen.

Another potential option: You can set a widescreen monitor up as a 4:3 monitor, you just wont be using the entire screen (You can customize it so that you have a 4:3 desktop, with large blank / black spaces to the left and right of the image.) Here's a quick link that looked useful if you're interested - there are a few custom-resolution tools mentioned in here as well that you may find interesting. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=592511209

An excerpt from http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2730664

You could also try windowed mode with custom ICC profiles for your monitor for rapid recustomization of brightness / other image settings for PS2 night gameplay. This is the solution I use, it's quite simple to swap to various setting configurations when i'm gaming vs browsing, or even night vs day in PS2. https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/
    • Up x 1
  8. TheSunlikeOne

BenQ G700 AD, GTX 750 Ti.
    Previously had GTX 460 V2. Worked pretty well with my favourite resolution 1024X768.

Idk. It feels very uncomfortable using theese widescreen displays. I bought one several years ago, but gave it up to my little brother, since I couldn't get used to it.

I've tried that too. Same feelings (I feel uncomfortable and distracted) as using normal 16:9 resolutions. I guess it's just my brain's type.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be readjusting my display's brightness and contrast when playing, until/if I find the better solution.
  9. fumz

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_...TVYEhziDpXMW6qZ5-i_WO4ynBFU4-I7wSwaAlV98P8HAQ