The Air Game. Thoughts and observations.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ravenwolf Foxtrack, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Ravenwolf Foxtrack

First off, I'll state that I play all three factions on Connery server, have flown all three ESF's, have engaged in A2A and A2G, have used all forms of AA and G2A, that I am NOT a sky Knight, I DO use Air lock on's and dumb fires, have been playing since beta and PS1, and have read extensively many threads about air both PRO and CON with nerf and buff all over it. This is my personal experience, observations, and thoughts on the current air game in PS2 on the Connery server only and what has been said in the PS2 forums. I Don't use Reddit, nor have twitter or tumbler or Facebook.

With that said, here are some things I want to address.
    First off, the air game is hard. Like really hard. The learning curve is perhaps steeper than anything else in PS2. Players that are new to flying have the option to start out in VR, which for many of us, was not an option in the beginning of PS2. Many will recall how our introduction to the game went. (drop pod into the middle of the biggest fight on the server with no instructions. Good luck!). However, VR is good only for getting a feel for flying the aircraft and the loadout options available. Aiming in VR only gets you so far due to non moving targets. Also to note, that unlike ground action, air action encompasses three dimensional movement and interaction, something that someone doing ground force action mostly doesn't have the exposure to normally.

Next up, the cost.
    To properly load out an ESF, you need to spend tens of thousands of certs. Not just on the load outs for flying, but on the weapon systems too! Larger mag sizes or faster reloads, More ammo, zoom or thermals, the weapon its self. Air is a HUGE cert sink and commitment, and requires a lot of time and resources dedicated to it. Also, the cost of pulling an ESF is expensive, even more so for how long one might last in it. These cost are one of the many hindrances to getting into the air game. For many, certs would be better spent on upgrades for classes and weapons those classes have access to.

Next, the AA, G2A, terrain, and Esamir.
    As a pilot, you have to contend with being shot at by Walkers, Rangers, Bursters, AA turrets, Skyguards, ESL's (Empire Specific Launchers), Annihilators, The Swarm (I want to punch the dev that made that weapons SO HARD!) And other ground fire from a variety of vehicles scattered across the continent. Add to this trees, mountains, cliffs, towers, bridges, and so forth, while flying low for what ever reason requires one to fly low. And as for Esamir, it happens to be a very difficult place to fly over BECAUSE of how open and flat it is, with very little cover, allowing any number of skyguards, HA's with lock ons, and more, to be able to spot you and fire on you no matter how high you fly.

And finally, Enemy air, and the sky knights that ruin the fun of flying for others.
    If a new pilot is somehow able to avoid or resist the ground fire and environment, and have learned how to fly their bird, they now have to contend with other pilots who have been flying since beta, and have grown their skills to the point where you can't tell if they are using aimbots or not. You have the dedicated lib pilots and gunners, flying and hunting down ESF's with Daltons, tank busters, and most likely walkers on the back. Then you have the sky knights who look for anyone to get into a fight with, especially newer or far less skilled pilots, and stalk and kill them constantly. These same pilots have dedicated their entire existence to flying, and have created some imaginary honor code about nose guns only, and get super salty if you use lock on's on them, whether you kill them or die horribly at their near perfect aim. All while they move about as if they have a sever case of Parkinson, and land every shot even if you are maneuvering as erratically as they are. Most of the time they will send an insulting tell to boost their ego and stroke their ******, as it seems making others miserable is the only way for them to get their jollies. (Am I salty, yes. But it doesn't mean it isn't true.) I do often wonder if perhaps most of these sky knights are under the age of 21, if not around 16, due to the things they say and do. It would explain a lot.

In anycase, flying is difficult, costly, and not as easy as many might like to think. Many who ground pound only will cry and whine that air is easily killing them and wrecking them, yet wont pull AA or lock on's, or do anything to heavily dissuade air from being in the area. When there is flack fire or lock ons or walkers being shot at air, air WILL leave the area, because the esf's will die VERY quickly to AA fire, and the ESF was a very costly vehicle to pull (350 nanites each) Many pilots will avoid areas with heavy AA that fires on them the moment they enter the hex or adjacent hex unless at ceiling or engaging other air. They will use their nose guns from afar or do hit and run's to try to assists, but not likely to get many or any kills. A2G rockets have a limited range and can only hit something within the distance designed.

The air game is fun, but not for those looking to make a lot of certs. Those are far and few between. Air is more for the experience and fun gained from flying. The only advice I can give is that new pilots take advantage of the VR. Learn everything you can about your bird. Watch videos showing how to aim, fly, do the reverse maneuver and fly close to the ground and around obsticals. Find a wingman to practice with and to fly with. Don't try to be a lone wolf without some experience and know how to fight back. Learn to play the rabbit and bait other ESF's towards friendly active AA. It may be cheap, and you will most likely be shot down, but if you can get one of their birds taken out, then all the better. Remember, this is a team effort game.

That's all I have for now, as I'm about to pass out.
    • Up x 2
  2. Khallixtus

SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I reckon the air game is balanced as it is. People whine, but I never have any problem with it. It's just frustrating, is all.
    The only problem I have with the air is how insanely hard it is for newer players to get into it. But that can't really be fixed.
  3. Jex =TE=

I can now safely say, that after 2 years break and coming back and seeing this post, plus another before this one saying the same thing, that NOTHING is going to be done about it. You could go back 2 years and read posts like this almost verbatim and DayBreak are a private equity firm first so good luck getting any changes that isn't going to make them profit first.
  4. Ravenwolf Foxtrack

Even in planetside 1, the air game had a steep learning curve.