Prowler vs ANY Hive

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by guerrillaman, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Azawarau

I disagree

Its always been an issue and moreso now

Lockdown begins and ends too quickly

The damage output is too high on the already highest damage tank

Construction make sit much more obvious than before is all
    • Up x 1
  2. Jake the Dog

Pretty sure I made a thread about this, its a simple fix. Put a sundy garage down, then place the hive in said garage, then place shield module inside said garage as well, then put a rep module up and voila, my prowler can't touch you. Don't complain about prowlers if you can't build a proper base.
  3. Jake the Dog

Also, it seems there's alot of salt about the easiest mbt to kill in this thread...
    • Up x 1
  4. guerrillaman

Jake-

You've described how keep just the hive safe. Turrets, walls, modules, silos, etc. All gone from 400 meters. So great, a hive is safe. Really safe. ... No.

The AG turrets on a base won't work against the lockdown Prowler. They are destroyed before they can be used. Did you not read that part?
  5. Gundem

Do I detect some latent salt?

For future reference, no, a Liberator cannot kill any MBT in .013 seconds.
  6. zaspacer

What distance of "long range" AV are you talking about? TR Infantry have better extreme range AV than NC does.
  7. Problem Officer

All of this.
    The proposed counters are unrealistic, using perfect conditions when convenient, double standards.
    In reality an extreme minority have Libs on speed dial or the warp hacks it takes to reach an enemy Prowler or Gatekeeper vehicle before they've stripped a base.

No one's going to have heavy long-range AV sitting on a HIVE, because people want certs not scenery.
    So much in fact that they're stupid enough to be inside a random base's turrets without enough skill to come close to the AI, clearly displaying a reason for turrets to be lockable.
  8. Stormsinger

Please note that I specified
    I am referring to specifically infantry and Maxes here, TR vehicles do indeed have vastly superior extreme range vehicle-based AV when compared to NC. For infantry, however... Fractures, Pounders, and Strikers are outclassed by Ravens, Falcons and Phoenixes when it comes to mid-long range AV. For extreme range infantry-based AV, I would say the only real contender for infantry-based AV effective at 450-500+ meters would be the VS due to Lancers / Vortex.

For reference: A few stats, sorted by Vehicle Kills per unit (V-KPU)
    [IMG]

My at-a-glance interpretation of the above:
    For the NC:
    Ravens are the best overall MAX AV, given that they have fairly high range capabilities, we can assume they are good at all ranges.

For the TR:
    Pounders have low V-KPU, and the highest KPH by double the next highest - they are being used primarily vs infantry. Still, Ravens only have a V-KPH advantage of 4.4 / 4.18 vs the Fracture's 3.56 / 3.6 - it's significant, but the disparity isn't outside the realm of reason.

For the VS:
    I was actually surprised at the current state of VS MAX AV, 82 / 84 Vortex users, with even lower KPH than TR Fractures. Comets are also rather far down the various lists. No exceptional contenders here, so my expectation here was wrong in that regard.

Launchers: Sorted by V-KPU
    [IMG]

Well, this partially explains the lack of VS AV Max users, the Lancer is clearly the best at removing vehicular irritations for ES RLs. The Phoenix wins 6.45 V KPH compared to the Striker's 5.82, although the striker does have 2.68 A KPH compared to the Phoenix's .9, and the Lancer's 1.13... although even the Annihilators surpass that, so I'd say that aspect of the striker is safely discounted as 'inferior', it really excels at nothing in general, where both the Lancer / Phoenix have a specific niche at which they are unsurpassed.

Anyway, I'll stop here to avoid going too far off topic, but the above is infantry-based AV in a nutshell.

So...
    Which item are you referring to?
  9. xxx-reaper

Lockdown Prowler got a secret buff now that there are stationary bases that can take damage. These prowlers can sit at 200m+ and eat through whatever they want in no time. Honestly, at the very least, lockdown needs to delay more before you can start shooting and unlocking should take much longer so it has to be vulnerable to infantry.
    Vehicle hacking will nerf the prowler pretty well though.
    It's dps is ridiculous though, it's main cannon shouldn't be able to drop a sundy shield with just its double shot when it takes two shots from every other tank to do it.
  10. Bruiserdog

What about adding an overheat for lock down? For a person that plays TR, I would agree to this. Lock down can be overwelming DPS, like the Lib.
  11. Imp C Bravo

Prowlers: The fastest tank, the highest DPS tank. It is not weaker than any other tank (except the vanguard - whose defining characteristic is resilience) in terms of durability.

Still, I don't think they need a DPS, durability or speed nerf. The lockdown and unlock times on them are way too fast though...
  12. Pinkpuff

How long does it take a Prowler to take out a wall with a rep module near it? Seriously, build a wall or 2.

And if that Prowler can hit your turret then guess what, your turret can hit that prowler and that prowler takes a lot less hits to destroy.

Finally, play smart. Build your base, fill your silo, then go grab a repair sundy since they repair turrets. You can do this even of you aren't in a squad. I do it often.
  13. Tanelorn

FFS Planetside 2 is a game about teamwork not AI bot turrents that can't cope. If you don't like your base being destroyed get your team to defend it!
  14. guerrillaman

There isn't enough incentive to hang out at the base. This is the main issue. Yes, people can bring sunderers to repair, and they suddenly lose their ability to pull other vehicles for other things.

A fully certed lockdown prowler can take out ANY turret in less than 10 seconds. By the time a person gets in the turret to use it, the prowler has already destroyed 75% of it. Or 3-4 engineers can stand around it and make it last another 4. And yeah, the turret is stationary. The prowler will just move behind cover if its getting shot, waiting a few moments to repair, then starting over again.

We are talking about ONE lockdown prowler. Don't get me started on talking about what happens with 3-4 prowlers next to a repair sundy.

I don't think any of you talking about solutions have actually experienced it. It happens much faster than you can respond to it.
  15. guerrillaman

Just confirmed and tested.

Specs

Prowler, Full lockdown w/AP, NO secondary gunner.

Destroyed 1 fully constructed AG turret with repair module and myself fully certed engineer repairing turret.

Time to destroy: a little under 12 seconds.
  16. Jake the Dog

If you use the reply system I will respond faster.

Turrets and modules are the only soft spots vs MBTs IN GENERAL. Walls with a supporting shield module plus repair, is nigh indestructable same with every constructable outside of turrets, modules and the hive itself. There are ways to make those very protected as well. When you set up your base think for a second, can a tank angle down into my base and hit the soft targets? Can my turret gunners be able to respond properly? You can't just plop a base down and think "golly gee, I'm going to build a cool base on this ice river!" and not expect someone like me to come by and destroy your base. It doesn't take a prowler either, vanguards and magriders can do the same stuff just takes a bit longer.

The best counter against people like me who will go hunting for cores for the hell of it, is to have an A2G vehicle at the ready.
  17. Jake the Dog

While differing opinions than OP about this topic, but a single AV turret will not out dps a max-lockdown prowler.
    Clearly not someone who uses the prowler for any decent length of time...
  18. guerrillaman

Jake-

I'd say no. Never will a gunner be able to effectively respond to a prowler sniping a turret at 400m with lockdown+AP. 12 seconds is plainly not enough time.

All TR tankers seem to have an answer for this in theoretical terms. Practical terms? No.

The same mechanics that make a AG turret useful, "line of sight", is the same mechanic that allows it to be shot. Otherwise, what in the hell is the point of the turret?

The only safe way I can see the turret being used is inside a valley, under a shield. However, those circumstances are quite rare, AND, the AG turret can only be aimed upward about 20%. Again making the circumstances of that turret being useful basically zero against the Prowler.
  19. SpeedFreakPS1

There is no defending the Prowler on this subject, it's advantage is too overwhelming against constructs, I can only gather those defending the Prowler's are the TR themselves who don't want to lose their base instagibbing weapons.
  20. Pinkpuff

I play TR, on Emerald, and had a singular NC AV turret keep me at bay from 300m while I was in a max'd lockdown Prowler.

Either he was a glorious god or you whiners need to git gud.