video card suggestions?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zhengy4, Jun 28, 2016.

1. zhengy4

had swapped in an AMD FX6300 (replaced fx4100) now the GPU(AMD HD6850) is the limiting factor (can't get decent fps under lots of massive battles), what's your recommendation? not too overkill but matching the performance of fx6300.
  2. Gundem

I don't know how strong your current CPU is, but I can tell you two things off the top of my head:

1. AMD hardware is generally lackluster
    2. Planetside 2 is actually a very CPU-heavy game.
    To get good performance in PS2, you need a good CPU more then anything else.
    That being said, I ran this game with a 100$ GTX 660 for 2 years on nearly ultra. And with pascal GPU's, we might be looking at even lower prices for better cards. Just keep that in mind.
  3. SwornJupiter

In the middle-range ($300-400 mark), AMD's 8GB R9 390 outclasses the 4GB GTX 970 in pretty much every respect. If OP has a budget of around this, I would recommend the 390. I have one myself, and couldn't be happier... Currently the best middle-range card, bang-for-your-buck card out there atm.
  4. SpaceCommie

I'd hold off until AMD's Polaris launches tomorrow. I have a 5670 that definitely needs to go, and all indications are the 480X will be giving me the most bang for my buck. It'll tide me over for a year or two until the following generation of cards launches, and the TDP is low enough that I can recoup a portion of the cost selling the used one to a friend that's involved in far less intense gaming. The Pascal-based cards are indeed impressive, but the price is way beyond what I want to spend.
    • Up x 1
  5. Gundem

I highly doubt that will remain the case when the 1070 hits the market.

Also, 8GB of vRAM does not make the 390 superior to the 970... In fact, most applications cannot even utilize that much vRAM.

According to GPUBoss, the 390, while having higher FLOPS score, is inferior to the 970 in most other aspects. And though a cards FLOPS score is highly important, another major issue is programming.

Many games noawadays are programmed to utilize card-specific architecture in order to maximize performance. And in most cases, developers will choose Nvidia in exchange for sponsorship's and the like.

Ergo, a theoretical AMD card with higher raw benchmark scores then another theoretical Nvidia card, may perform worse in another theoretical application designed to utilize Nvidia architecture.

And as an added bonus, if you go Nvidia, there's a chance you can use the sweet, sweet PhysX Particles if they get re-implemented.
  6. Nefaris

i dont know but i got a 970 and a 390 and i had my 970 in my rig a couple days ago my frame rate dropped couldnt get it to come up put mr 390 back in and gained 40 fps there is someting wrong with nvidia cards right now since the update and also the 390 most of the times outdoes the 970 watch jays to cents he is a nvidia fan boy and says the 390 beats the 970 i wouls wait till the 480s come out before you buy amd is doing very well in dx12 and vulcan
  7. zhengy4

any reasonable suggestions? the recommendation here costs over a whopping $200 ... it's a bit overkill for my fx6300
  8. Nefaris

well you maybe pick up a used card on ebay or look into a 960 or a 290 i think they are a little cheaper
  9. Gundem

I guess we did get a bit off-track, sorry about that.

Anyway, like I said, wait for the 1070 to be released. I guarantee that many prices will drop considerably, meaning the current 200$ cards will be tomorrow's bargain bin 100$ cards.
  10. Nefaris

i agree with that i think the 300 and the 900 hundred series cards will drop alot when all the new stuff comes out and gets to flowing
  11. SwornJupiter

Next generation v-cards will be the Nvidia's 1070/1080 vs AMD's RX 480. Both look promising, so if I were you, I would wait a bit and make your choice at a later time when there is better hardware available.
  12. Towie

If buying new right now - something like a 750Ti is cheap and surprisingly nippy although it will struggle a little at the higher resolutions.

If you can hold off - the new batch of cards look very interesting and AMD seem to be targeting the value end of the ridiculously broad graphics card price/performance spectrum, nvidia the high end (at the moment) but both should push down prices of previous generation cards.
  13. Lord_Mogul

If you got the money and the time to wait for availability get an RX 480.
    Or wait for the GTX 1060 to get released.

Besides that I ran the game for the first half year with a Q6600 and a HD 4870.
    So if you aren't playing any recent AAA titles or PS2 is your main focus, your HD 6850 should be fine for Planetside.
    You might need to decrease some settings like shadows, lightning/particle effects.
    The main factor for better performance in bigger fights (96+ vs 96+ and bigger) might still be OC'ing your FX6300.
  14. zhengy4

but the game constantly tells me that my [GPU] is the limiting fact.

recent patches in the past year had shifted from CPU constraints to GPU somehow, at least that is my case.

in large tank massive battle, my fps dipping as low as 29 fps, my setting is on low and particles shadows, flora are all off.