[RESEARCH] What kind of player you are? STRAW POLL

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alan Kalane, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Alan Kalane

The point of the experiment is to measure how many players of different types are there in each faction.

Before you take part in the pool please carefully read the following
    player types(according to Bartle's taxonomy of player types):
    - Killer : a player who trains to become better as an individual. If you like games which require a lot of skill like Counter Strike then it's probably your cathegory.

- Achiever : a player who likes challenges and achievements. If you find yourself setting personal goals just for the sake of accomplishing them, it's probably your cathegory.

- Socializer : a player who enjoys spending time with others. If you have a lot of friends(in real life or in game), enjoy leading others, being a mentor to others and greatly value the social aspect of MMOs then it's probably your cathegory.

- Explorer : a player who likes exploring the world and exploiting it's depencies. If you like games like Minecraft there's a high chance it's your cathegory

If you have problems choosing a single option, don't worry. Most people belong to multiple cathegories to some degree. The question is to which cathegory you belong the most?

If you're still having problems then the list below might help you choose:

For Killer:
    - I like multiplayer games which require a lot of skill (of any sort) such as Counter Strike, LoL/Dota and Starcraft
    - In single player I most enjoy games with high action, carnage and destruction such as Doom or Just Cause
    - If I have the chance I prefer to kill my opponents in a humiliating way. For example if there's an enemy who is unaware of me I could just shoot him, but I'll often take the risk and knife him instead.
    - I like sniping or playing as a Stalker infil a lot
    - I like competing with others
    - I dream about becomming a professional player and taking part in tournaments

For Achiever:
    - I like open world games a lot, because they provide a wide array of challenges.
    - I like character progression in games a lot.
    - In single player I most enjoy RPG-type games like Diablo, Skyrim or Dark Souls.
    - To me the game isn't finished until I've gathered the most powerful items,reached the highest level and beaten the hardest boss.
    - If there's an achievement system, I use it quite extensively.
    - I find myself strangely drawn to games like Candy Box, Cookie clicker or other kinds of clicker/waiting games.

For Socializer
    - In single player games I value having branching dialogues and NPCs with background and personality so I can influence them, persuade them and form relationships with them,
    - I have a group of friends and we always play games together
    - I enjoy games far more if I can experience them with others
    - I am often the one who comes up with a social initiative (create a squad, raid a dungeon, have a chat)
    - I often become the leader of my group
    - I am all for cooperation and coordinated gameplay.

For Explorer
    - I like open world games a lot, because there's so much to see and so many things to do or discover.
    - If I like a game I won't stop until I know everything about it's mechanics.
    - I enjoy experimenting and improvising in games.
    - Sometimes I "challenge the developers" by trying to get to places or do things they probably never anticipated anybody to do.
    - If I find a secret, easter egg or a bug it gives me a ton of satisfaction
    - I like it when a game has deep lore and a complex world

Now, take part in our poll!

• Up x 2
  2. UberNoob1337101

Nice research, but I'm disappointed in the lack of options in the straw poll, since a lot of people (Including myself) probably associate/are influenced by ideas of multiple, if not all, groups, since people are drawn to different and seemingly disconnected things, like a pro PvP player could really enjoy in-depth dialogue and exploration in games, or a socializer could really like challenges and competing with others.

Else, good work! (unfortunately, the forum guidelines state that polls aren't allowed by Daybreak Games on this forum... but nobody seems to moderate it anyways, and this thread is interesting, so despite that I hope it goes well) :p
    • Up x 2
  3. Alan Kalane

Well, I made that on purpose so you really have to think about it and boil it down to a single option that describes you best. Otherwise some people would be like : "a killer? Yeah, I like killing people. But I also like unlocking new weapons so I am an achiever. And I am in an outfit so I am a Socializer..." etc.

Oh snap I completely forgot, hope they do not shut it down. It's not like it's anything malicious after all...
  4. DragenoidHighLord

Im bit of a tricky guy in terms of kinds.I like to explore,but im mostly a socializer and as something to keep me going im sort of an achiever.Im mostly into MMOs to have fun and get something done allong the way.
  5. Alan Kalane

One thing you can do if you aren't sure is you can count how many "points" you score in each cathegory.
  6. DeadlyOmen

I like being part of the fight. I'm not good, I'm not bad, but I sure do die a lot.

Oh, and I also cycle through all the classes... 2 sorties each, switch, and so on.
  7. PanzerGoddess

I don't see Professional Troller? I swear that's what category im in
  8. Alan Kalane

Actually, the Killers tend to troll way more than other types.
    I didn't include that because I didn't want to make the killers look like they're all just trollers (which they're not)
  9. Jawarisin

Fit me in all categories if you want, because with your criterias, I'd just be about everywhere.

You might want to refine your poll a bit.
  10. Hegeteus

I probably go with achiever, but I haven't actually bothered about Planetside 2's directive system nor do I have maximum BR or anything. For example, I only found out that I had unlocked Vanguard lumifiber and Auraxium knife by accident when I viewed my player profile on dasanfall

I was never technically skilled or amazing, but I took a challenge to get most pistol kills in PS2(breaking commissioner guy's record) among other things and it felt great to get there, although kind of pointless at the same time. I've always promoted faction pride in games and liked to set records in PS2 ever since Canister had yet to see it's first auraxium
  11. Demigan

I think you have bartles taxonomy slightly wrong with the list of things they adhere to. Like killer that is supposed to knife people rather than kill them normally. They wouldn't, a killer uses the weapon that gives him the greatest chance of success, preferably allowing him to turn a player to mush and cause as much grief as possible while doing that.

I'll make it easy for you and give you most of the killers: Every single flyboy.

As for myself, I am somewhere between explorer and achiever.
  12. breeje

What category do I belong
    I like to survive as long as possible
    While killing as many as I can

I only like to cap basses not defend them
    And I like to ambush
  13. Haquim

I think I'm a PS2 special kind of achiever.

I don't give a damn about the directives.
    But I DO try to defend/capture as many bases as possible.
    Winning a fight is the top priority.
    Capture points and Sunderers are priority targets.
    I will curse my team on a regular basis, especially when I see two dozen heavies and a couple MAXes weave in and out of doors in hope of getting a random kill with the couple shots they get off before retreating. Charging in and taking everyone out would be so much more effektive, but "muh K/D".
    On the defensive side, I will overwatch choke points and often cover them in suppressive fire. This occasionally leads to FF incidents with the people mentioned above.
  14. Alan Kalane

I think you're wrong.
    Quoting your own video :
    "Knowing someone on the other side of the wire is cursing in defeat is the highest thrill for most killers"
    "The more that PVP allows for an expression of dominance, the more these players enjoy it"
    No better way of expressing your dominance than humiliating your enemy

I have a friend who is definetly a killer type (like 90%+ killer) and we often play games together, especially battlefield 4
    - he likes to stalk people (especially me)
    - he can't shut up about the new Doom and how awesome it is
    - plays CounterStrike regularly
    - compares our K/D all the time
    - gets mad when he's not doing well (although that happens rarely)
    and he is absolutely nuts about knifing people. Like, he is not a fool, he doesn't do this if it puts him in immediate danger. But if given a chance he is capable of taking a jet, bailing out and knifing a camper on the other side of the map(with an obligatory T-bag). Often when we play together and I spot someone camped or unaware and I'm about to shoot him, he's like "wait wait wait wait let me do this". I once said that's stupid and shot the guy anyway. My friend went mad and switched teams and started stalking me.

I am no oracle but actually I take part in special classes about game development. I may be wrong but this is how I understand the Killer cathegory. If you still think I am wrong you are free to take one of the online tests. Actually, in the beginning I intended on putting a link to such a test, but after trying out a few I couldn't find a test that would satisfy me. There were too many questions which were situational (like: "what would you prefer: a better weapon or 2 xp levels?" or "You can choose one of the following items : an iron rod, a bag of gold, a rose(?) and an arrow, which one do you prefer?") and none of them seemed trustworthy (like I could make a better site in one afternoon and usually it is unknown who created the test)
  15. Alan Kalane

definetly killer
    • Up x 1
  16. Alan Kalane

Just because you do not enjoy the PS2 directive system doesn't necessairly mean you are not an achiever.
    Maybe you just find it too mundane or not worth bragging about.
    The fact that you set your own personal goals just for the sake of completing them (breaking the record, auraxiuming Canister) is a strong indication towards the achiever type
  17. Alan Kalane

I find it hard to believe that you scored equally in all cathegories.
    Surely some types describe you better than others?
  18. Demigan

Yes, and no better way than expressing your dominance than making sure your enemy doesn't kill you.
    Knifing someone is a humiliating factor, but it's also got a very high chance of backfiring. The humiliation of this backfiring is far too large for the ego of a killer player. They want to dominate, not have a chance of humiliating that can humiliate themselves just as hard.

Oh no doubt that killers will knife someone if they know it's a safe bet. No better humiliation than something that looks like it should have been easily preventable/a bet on the user's side. But my main point is: Standard they will go to the tactic or move that will get the most guaranteed results.

I don't think those things are trustworthy either. It would be better if they gave you several short games build like a Skinner Box but with Bartles taxonomy as background rather than some half-baked questions.
  19. Campagne

What Ubernoob said.

I wouldn't call myself an achiever, but I do sometimes set and achieve goals in games.

I'm quite a loner in real life, but I do have a few online friends and enjoy chatting with other players. (Not to mention the occasional one-liner taunts in /yell...)

I do enjoy exploring the game a little bit, and I often use the terrain to my advantage in ways that I have never seen other players do. I also enjoy a deep and rich story. However, I never ever exploit or cheat the system in anyway, if I can help it.

I'm not really competitive both in game and real life. I sort of scoff at the idea of "pro gamers." I strongly frown upon "humiliating" other players just for the sake of it. If I take stupid risks, it's because I wanted to see if I could actually do it. If I do taunt, it's because I demonstrated high amount of skill, and/or got the better of someone that thought I'd be an easy target. However, when in-game, if I'm not supporting my teammates as medic or engineer, chances are I'm either killing someone or attempting to.

So, all things considered, having to only select one option, I chose "killer."

I am curious about the results. So far, it doesn't bode all too well for your theory. :p
  20. Jawarisin

I'm a killer, that should be obvious from my stats and the fact that most of my game-time is as a solo infiltrator. I don't want to be in a tournament, and I hate being a stalker infil with a passion (that was a terrible class to pick, it's passive and a lot of sitting around). I do enjoy and try to get better, and I do enjoy stuff that requires skill (my most kills are with the cqc sniper/tankbuster, and I'm a pilot)

I'm a socializer because one of my favorite games is Dwarf Fortress, I have a few group of friends I always play with and I love helping out/mentoring other peoples that want it. I do invite my friends to a squad if they aren't in one; and I am a lib pilot, thus I do cooperation/teamwork every time I fly with one of my gunners.

I am an achiever because every single point in there except trying to reach achievements describe me. I don't particularly care for the achievements, but I do love open world games; one of my most played games is diablo 2 as a kid. I do like character progression and beating the game completely. And I must admit having played way too many idle games.

I'm also an explorer; if you'd ever follow me in any rpg or stuff like that, you'd see me climb everywhere, try everything. I don't think there's a single game I haven't been able to get out of the intended area. I used to play Neverwinter, and even when they "blocked" a lot of those ways, I think I am the only player left that knows how to get out of the main map. Every point in there describes me basically.

So yes, I do fit everywhere. I am a heavily community-driven killer that loves finding out all the mechanics of a game and beating them throughly. At the same time, I usually have one or multiple idle games running. And one of my favorite games is Dwarf Fortress.

Those categories are not clearly defined enough.