Daybreak Games Wrong To Publish Atrocity Pictures

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Doc Kevorkian, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syllabear

Following these picture-warriors logic, can we have ra-pe in these images? I wouldnt care if it is that way.
    They are just images, why would it hurt someone? Right??????
  2. LaughingDead

People just gotta believe it's a big deal in order for them to make it a big deal. Thing is, these pictures are similar to real life situations, but they are not real life situations. I could go on ABC or NBC or whatever network that shows sitcoms and say I'm offended because the show had a cheating spouse and I've been cheated on, I could go on cops and say I'm offended because I've drunk driving and pulled over before or how bout GTA and 95% of the game? It's their game, these pictures accurately represent the factions behaviors, they're colorful, well made and above all else represent the game.

Plus it's better than seeing one picture all the time, I'd like more like these.
  3. Insignus

There is a reason that pictures like that get on the news....

Because society generally agrees they're wrong. Not from the whole "Social Justice" standpoint, but from the standpoint of "This is a line we don't cross, because it just incentivizes everyone else to do it to us."

Even in the most militaristic cultures, its now viewed as unprofessional and bad form. It doesn't tell the world anything other than "Our guys lack discipline and can't remember rules, or worse, we don't care about rules, so don't bother trying to predict things like when we'll use NBCs or human shields or if we'll raze cities for giggles."

That leaves us with it being viewed as acceptable primarily in:

1) Isolated military outposts
    2) Transnational paramilitary units
    3) Third world armies
    4) Militias
    5) Terrorist organizations.

Should the playerbase be identifying with any of those?

If I want to see these things glorified, I have an entire two shelves of BlamHammer 40,000 I can read. I'd rather have a game in which people are incentivized to be team-players that respect each others mutual desire to have a good time, not acculturated and socially engineered to be total jerkbags to each other.

Its okay to have these images, but as previous posters have noted, there are also a myriad of images available that promote a more co-operative and competitive image of Planetside 2, and I feel we'd all be equally served if they were included, so that we can showcase the multiplicity of unique and exciting ways we can kill each other in fun and competitive ways.
  4. Taemien

Why not?

I've played a Dark Elf Shadowknight in EQ2 that makes the Orlando shooter look like a saint. That doesn't make me a bad person. But any character following Innoruuk the Prince of Hate is going to be a very unsavory individual. There's quests and achievements in the game where you kill, maim, and enslave innocents. One of the deity questlines has you cause a loving couple to kill each other in blind hatred.

I've played a Necromancer in EQ1 who not only raised corpses from the dead. But defiled allied groupmembers' corpses and made them fight the enemy that slain them (Wake the Dead AA is amazing when the tank goes down). Again.. it doesn't make me a bad person. I can seperate fantasy from reality.

And that's all those loading screens are.. is fantasy. Not real, and to compare them to real life is wrong, dangerous, and unhealthy.

If you all want to go further. The NC, TR, and VS are all crazy organizations.

NC - Freedom Fighters or Greedy Corporate Mercenaries
    TR - Professional Soldiers or Fascist Enforcers
    VS - Pragmatic Evolutionaries or Zealous Xenophiles

PS2 is very similar to BattleTech in how it presents its lore. No one is the good or the bad guy. They just do things differently. All are capable of some pretty heinous stuff to each other. One thing all the new loading images have in common is that War is Hell.

Do any of you believe that armed conflict between two powers is in itself civilized, professional, or disciplined? No.. its ugly, nasty, and should be avoided at all costs. Its a reason why since WW2 that First World Countries prefer use diplomacy instead of conflict. War is ugly, always has, always will.

But PS2 is a fantasy dipiction of conflict. We're human. Conflict excites the imagination. Fuels the 'what if'. These pictures don't glorify attrocites and you know what? They don't even show anything worse than what happens in game. Think about that for a minute.

The worst thing shown is a dude getting ran over. You know you get Achievements for doing road kills? And bonus exp?

And the guys with pistols behind their heads. Sorry.. they're prisoners.. That's what we do when we take prisoners in conflict. Soldiers aren't police. And if you've ever read the Code of Conduct for US personnel, they are required to resist and escape whenever possible. I'd imagine NC, TR, and VS have similar policies.. which means your prisoner will kill you if you give him the chance. So keep a weapon on him until he's transferred. And judging by the lackadaisy manner in which the background soldiers are lounging, they are waiting for such a transfer.

Reality check people. Don't get hyped up over a Nontroversy.
    • Up x 2
  5. Insignus

The question remains: Is that type of activity and mentality what you want to see in the game, Or would your competititnevess be more collegiale in naure
  6. ColonelChingles

Kinda hard to believe that it would be possible to take prisoners where a prisoner can just suicide and reappear happy as a clam elsewhere. Though by the same token, extrajudicial executions are much less concerning when they're a mild inconvenience at most.

Also I don't think you're literally supposed to have a weapon "on" the prisoner if you're guarding them...
    [IMG]

In many cases in our "totally not prisoners of war" camps our guards are only lightly armed with melee weapons.
    [IMG]

Having sidearms in close proximity to prisoners, as the TR are doing above, introduces the risk of escalation or having the prisoner come into possession of a lethal weapon. It shows poor training if that's how they're supposed to "hold" restrained prisoners.

On the other hand, you do have to admit that the scene far more closely resembles an execution than holding POWs...
    [IMG]
  7. Diggsano

The only thing that cringe me is the Copyright with the year 2014 on it.....
  8. Imperialguardsman

You people would hate warhammer 40k commissars if you find the loading screen offensive. I dont see the harm in any of the loading screens but alas by what the PTS has for loading screens it seems you may have gotten your wishes.
  9. Vurvu

I recently tried out Planetside 2. I have payed for it in the past but only for a temporary period.

I remember the first time in beta and thinking it was like playing in a Star Wars movie with all the laser light going back and forth in this huge canyon from both sides, at night.
    I wasn't thinking of "killing" or "humilitating" or "playing the character as stated in the prose".

That memory is now completely destroyed by those pictures loading up each time I play the game.
    If none of you see the problem with them, you're already lost.

And the fact that DBG thinks it's normal and the person who created, thinks it's normal, has made my decision very easy.
    I will never come back to this again.

And I don't believe for a single second, that Wrel thinks those images should be in this "game".
    I wonder if Wrel is the person I think he is on Youtube; whether he can make the choice that DBG and the Dev Team are what he expected of them and whether he can say goodbye to it.

I know I can.

I believe in the freedom in what you think.
    But there is a limit to everything.
    And our society is beginning to creak under the weight of getting it wrong and doing the wrong thing.
  10. AtckAtck

This is like the 4th thread about these images and for my part I can't see why.
    They are fictional drawn (rendered) images, so they are clearly not meant to be seen as something real like the really disturbing photos posted in this Thread.

Clearly the devs have shown they have a sense of humor, because in the past a lot of you SJW would be upset about the NC loading screen. Now everybody gets a little bit tortured.... This is a fun response to the needless bickering about the old Loading screen.
    And all you guys don't get it.
  11. Valthis78

Sounds like alot of these people complaining just need to hit that uninstall. You obviously have no business playing a FPS depicting an endless war if you can't distinguish between real and drawings.
  12. Jex =TE=

I'd prefer to see pictures of battle, not cowardice but if people here like the coward ones then they probably play Candy Crush ;)
  13. Daigons

Personally I think the artist should have geared the cut scene art more towards the propaganda based wartime posters on the lore of each faction.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I would like to see some of the pinup style posters.

[IMG]
  14. Windleaf

The politically correct madness has to stop, this is insane..
  15. Seron

Well i was a bit put off by the loading screens aswwell.. The execution style things justs do not provide benefit to the style. What i loved about the styling of PS2 is the sesne of being proud you belong to group X over Y, not splattering brains of Y over X.

I think the loading screens all real pieces of art and i have no moral entanglements with them. I just feel that they do not represent the feeling of belonging to my faction.

To prove my point. watch the original Vanu Trailer:

Just that sentence: Someone who seeks.....

..... Enlightenment

Gives me a lot more feeling because it focuses on my values of the IN group, not the battle with the OUT group.

I believe the current artwork is lacking on that front, and as so a bit of a missed chance. That being said. I love the current rate of changes and management of the game and I am very happy to see they have an eye for those things aswell.
  16. SwornJupiter

17. Daemeon

Actually... with some rough math the youngest he could be at this time is 65. Though it is unlikely for there to be a 20 year old intelligence officer. This assumed the 2 tours were back to back and at end of the war. Any other scenarios would put him over 70 to 80 years old.

So yeah... I call BS here.
  18. Scr1nRusher

The forums are being trolled by a edgelord.

What a year to be part of the forums.
  19. Insignus

I'm not sure that's a good attitude to have. We need more players.
  20. MrFlubberz

What a bunch of *** bags I ******* swear the kids these days are a bunch of whiny little *******
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.