[Question] Is Autohotkey ilegal to use?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Diggsano, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Diggsano

Hi fellow Planetmans!

Today i wanted to ask you if macros like AHK (Autohotkey) and Mousemacro (Logitech are allowed in Planetside 2.

I had read that unfair advantage is not allowed but there...

Also i should mention that even how much and hard you use Macros, you will never be detected or banned because Macros are counting are raw inputs from the Keyboard....

I am aible to write Macros with AHK but never used it outside of PTS in Planetside 2 because i was unsure about that.....

But if it is allowed i wouldn't mind to share them with you.

Greetings, Diggsano
  2. PatateMystere

I dont use them but I dont think this is forbidden. What do you want to set as a macro? I dont really see the point of it.
  3. Haquim

If you dig long enough you might find a post from an official who pretty much stated "if one key press is still one key press its ok"
    But that post is ancient.
    So the corollary of that would be that macros (one keypress = many inputs) are forbidden.
    Since a ton of people seem to use them nonetheless, I'd say go ahead if you want to.
    DGB doesn't seem to care and one more won't do any harm.

EDIT: That post is the only official source I remember and its as old as the game itself, so it dates back to SOE.
    That being the case, I am not 100% sure if it is still valid or the company policy changed, but I know of no other official statements where macros where mentioned.

Bursting gets a lot easier when its done by just holding the mousebutton for example.
    Or ever met one of those people who somehow manage to shoot battlerifles at almost assault rifle firerates?
    Or semiautomatic snipers who somehow don't have to wait for the recoil to set and instead just fire away with barely affected accuracy?
    A couple examples off the top of my head.
  4. Towie

Doubt that AHK would be acceptable simply because it has far greater capabilities compared to the Macro type software that comes with keyboards / mice; I use AHK for work but not on my PS2 partition.

Nowhere near as insidious as those cheating aimbot type hacks but nonetheless, I agree with Haquim, you could potentially come up with something quite sophisticated (recoil helpers, dorito scanning auto-fire, auto reload - that sort of stuff).
  5. MikeyGeeMan

I wouldn't use it.

Once battleye goes live you might get banned depending on what scripts you have.
    • Up x 1
  6. Taemien

SOE used to be pretty **** about not allowing ANY form of 3rd party macros. Not long ago Daybreak adopted the "One Keypress = One Action" stance that Blizzard has allowed in WoW. This was to allow for multiboxers to keyclone. Last summer when they opened up Ragefire and Lockjaw, they realized how much revenue they were getting from multiboxers (6x Sub for most, sometimes 12-18 for others) and then they changed the policy again.

You can macro, bot, or automate anything. Just so long as you're at your computer the entire time they are running. And it cannot modify game files, game streams, or anything like that. Just inputs and non-game outputs (overlays).

One of the most popular macros is one used through logitech/razer that switches to medkit, uses it, and then back to primary.
  7. cobaltlightning

That's the only one that I might consider kind of a cheat-type in those few examples.
    Against the BR, it's because it pushes past the Battle Rifle's main limit, being the Oversampling and lower RoF.
    For Comparison reasons, the BRs RoF is 333 across the board. The Slowest Firing Assault Rifle is the NC-9 A-Tross, at 469.
    So yeah, having the BR Fire as fast as the Tross would be a mechanical cheat. Maybe not much of a difference on paper, but I could definitely feel the speed difference between the Warden and the Tross.

Against The Snipers for mostly the same reason, but are usually meant to have high recoil and bloom, as well as absolute crap hipfire accuracy (barring optional laser sight, mind) in the first place. This would fall more into the 'aimbot' category.
    Lowest hipfire aim I could find for ALL snipers (not including the TRAP because that's more like a burst scout) was 4.5 and that's unmoving crouch, with the lowest bloom being 0.8 (again, not counting TRAP). Comparing to the infamous LMG, the Gauss Saw, it's got an unmoving crouch hip of 3.5, and its bloom is 0.14.

However, a script or something that would achieve these weapons' Optimal RoF without having to repeatedly press the trigger, or the scenario that Taemien suggested, I would feel more okay with. Still a wee bit unfair, perhaps, but you're still operating within the parameters of the game itself, instead of trying to push past it.
    Hell, I'd probably use a script that would have me hold my breath each time I zoom in with 6x+ scopes.

TL;DR Go for it, just don't play better than the weapons' stats or the game's engine.
  8. Diggsano

So would you think it would be allowed when i spread a Beamer Macro into the world which makes Beamer to a Fullauto Pistol? :D
  9. Taemien

Probably. By policy.

By game mechanic.. I don't know. You might get booted off for spamming. Policy and game mechanics are two different things. I've never tried a spam macro like that before in PS2.
  10. Diggsano

Should i give it a try and give everyone the exe ? :D

Now it only depends on your vote Taemien^^
  11. XanIves

Well, if any of you guys had actually read the TOS before clicking accept, you would have found this lovely little tidbit;

You agree that you shall not, under any circumstances:

use, post, host or distribute macros, "bots" or other programs which would allow unattended game play or which otherwise impact game play, including without limitation any program which enables or facilitates character kills or level increases

So if it improves your ability to score kills, or gain xp, then it's banned. Example: turning the Beamer into a full auto weapon, autoswapping to medkit and back, ADADAD-Crouch at a single button press, right click switches to underbarrel-shotgun, fires, and swaps back. ANY sort of improvement to your ability to score kills and/or gain xp

However, if you want to have a macro to automatically shout "Die, Imperialist Scum" bound to a single hotkey, that would be fine, as it does not directly impact your ability to acquire kills or xp.
    • Up x 1
  12. Taemien

That's the part that was ADDED since last summer.

As for the last line, that's the idea of using something to statpad, which is a rule specifically to Planetside 2. No one here is suggesting that anyone statpad.

I've never been a fan of their policy change. The one keypress = one action was good enough. When they allowed macros and botting I was against it, even in the Everquest games. But I couldn't change their minds then. So my opinion is that everyone should abuse the crap out of it that they rethink the idea. But of course.. do it by the rules.

Course they'd have to abuse it in PS2. In EQ or EQ2 everyone abusing it means more subs which means increased revenue.
  13. Haquim

OK, maybe I misunderstand the word "facilitate" because I'm not a natice speaker....
    But aint that just a fancy way to say "make easier" "help at" etc?
    If so, then "by the rules" it is forbidden....

If not, then brb, getting my own makros... I've been often enough at the wrong end to be annoyed by them after all, so theres nothing stopping me if it is actually allowed...
  14. Diggsano

it goes not into "sportsmanship" but i think they wouldn't detect it anyway >_>
  15. OldMaster80

Battleye will be implemented soon. Even if it's not credited as the most efficient anti cheat system, you would still take the risk.
    Ask the in game support before risking to be banned... for what? To burst fire like 99% of players do? Is it worth? ;)
  16. Haquim

I hear ya,
    but being the only sportsman around while everyone else is busy rigging the game makes you the butt of a joke first, and a sportsman only second.
    Don't forget that a lot of people have a "If i can get away with it, I'd be stupid not to do it" attitude. Coincidentally, those ppl also seem have a tendency to brag more....
  17. Diggsano

18. Horrida Messor

And how exactly they gonna distinguish macro from actual keypresses? Because i for example can OVERSAMPLE my Beamer with manual clicks, and I'm sure there are other people who can do it, but how exactly system gonna distinguish a crapton of presses per second vs macro?
    (Don't get me wrong - I'm against using any macro BS)
  19. Demigan

What would you want to use it for? How about a perfectly timed crossbow bolt+knife attack?
    I use Macro's to select my activateable knife and activate it. I use macro's to do V8 and say sorry to people (mostly just before I C4 them). But I don't use Macro's for anything that plays my game for me, such as doing a perfectly timed attack sequence.
  20. Crayv

There isn't really any way for it to, especially if you have a gaming mouse/keyboard that has the function built into it. As far as your computer is concerned you are just pressing the keys really fast.

Then there is the fact that sometimes mice buttons will malfunction and it will register multiple presses when you only pressed it once.

They just really need to do what TF2 did with the pistol in its game (amusing story behind that) and make it so holding down the button will auto-fire it.