Planetside 2 hired more programmers, artists and designers!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Airazor, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Airazor

[IMG]
    !!!PLANETSIDE 2 HIRED MORE PROGRAMMERS, ARTISTS AND DESIGNERS!!!!

Based on their last live stream here @ 37:10

The construction system earnings has helped the team grow thanks to the player base that is slowly growing. This is great news!!!!

I have faith that Daybreak can get this franchise rolling strong again. Keep the fight going on the digital battlefield friends and for the devs, keep releasing new vehicles, maps and weapons to keep the player base coming back for more. You guys put in cool s*** and we will keep playing and potentially paying (as long as it's worth it).

This game is a gem. Moving forward I have faith this game will be a power house.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal Sidenote:
    -To get this game even stronger Daybreak needs cross platform servers (PC,PS4 and if possible XBONE). So players from all systems can battle it out. This would boost continent numbers and potential sales. We know if can be done, so be one of the first to do it! (Not easy but necessary evil)
    -New advertising strategy, perhaps even naming Planetside 2.5 or something else. Claim it like an expansion. We need fresh eyes and fresh players $$$
    -More novelty (The serious war and realistic graphics is great and all, but to be honest, novel games sell better and are more light hearted and fun especially after a long days work. Think Overwatch, WoW, Team fortress. So adding more goofball character armor, voice packs and general graphic style is needed to revitalize this franchise. Plus it's easier on people's PC's (depending on optimization)
    -We need new maps/bases in different exciting biomes like in space, under water, lava zones, sky fortresses, navel. Be creative and innovative. One problem is that the maps are good but lack imagination and true awe.
    -More animations for entering/exiting vehicles & vehicle interiors
    -Ragdoll physics
    -Catch phrases like WoW's "Zug Zug" or Skyrim's "I used to be an adventurer until I took an arrow to the knee". Planetside 2 has none, we need one.
    -NPC warpgate characters that say random things. Or instead of vehicle/weapons consoles have NPC venders at warpgates that say various things that can get updated ever patch or hotfix. Keeping it fresh.
    -Lore related updates that relate to maps, or battlefield stuff.
    • Up x 3
  2. Mezinov

- This has been intentionally avoided due to the differences in control fidelity between PC and Console. It is generally accepted that Mouse and Keyboard have an advantage for twitch shooting (the largest segment of the games content). This has been reinforced by the community, as players hook up third party Mouse and Keyboard hardware to their PS4s to "get an edge". Many of the solutions to these problems lead to cultural or technical problems of their own.
    - New advertising strategy? Or just an advertising strategy at all? Either works.
    - Didn't the stream also mention they are getting the framework ready to open up player armor cosmetics to Player Studio in the near future? Given our choice has been Nothing, Composite, or Composite Lite since a month or two after launch. This will add more visual variety; which itself is a form of novelty. I certainly wouldn't argue that the game could do with more 'cinema' however; some things could do with just being made more eye-candyish. Even though a good portion of the community will just turn it off in the settings.
    - Making new continents is now small task in their developer tools, which has been shown by how long it has taken each continent to be developed (Hossin isn't even really done) and how long each continental revamp has taken. Its entirely possible that the new staff is to finish Searhus (Volcano continent from PS1), which has had assets in the files since basically launch - but has never been completed.
    - This just gets me on my usual soapbox about launching PS2 without all the things (or their PS2ified version) from PS1. These were sacrificed on the altar of making the game more accessible to the Battleduty playerbase - apparently it slowed game-playdown too much, and was too difficult to understand (you know, to get in to the driver seat you have to go to the driver side door). I would never not support the addition of this feature to PS2.
    - The code exists for it, and the engine can support it. Was never implemented due to performance concerns.
    - :eek: (but honestly; catchphrases are the player bases job in Planetside 2. We don't have NPCs.) [Secondly; You haven't failed Vanu. You have failed yourself. AKA; We already have them.]
    - NPCs are being avoided due to server load concerns; for the same reason part of the OMFG performance pass was to remove terminals from many locations in the game world (because, as entities, the server must always know Who/What/Where/When/Why about them). Non-functional NPCs could theoretically be added clientside, that is to say things that just walk around and babble and can't be interacted with, but there would be question about devoting resources to this.
    - We make the lore now. The Lore ended at launch with launch base names.
  3. stalkish

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  4. Airazor

Indeed and partially agreed. However we both know some console gamers can mop the floor with with their thumbs if not better than most people that aim with mouse and keyboard. Having the option there is better than no option at all. Perhaps a middle ground is giving console players an option to jump onto a PC server. No PC to console servers allowed though.

Hahah My point exactly. Their last advertising strategy was back at launch 2012 or for PS4. We need something fresh and new (that does not break the bank). Ideally the game is so good it does not need advertising but we know that is not this particular case.

They did mention that and I am super excited to start designing (self proclaimed 3D artist here). However they are sticking with the art style they have now, which is a sci-fi semi-realistic tone. I'm talking a more stylized art style.

Designing and creating the art/layout of the maps does not take that long....testing them does. Especially on the large scales that we have here. It's laughable that it took them forever to pump out Hossin. I agree it takes a while to make a map, but don't let the dev's fool you. It should NOT take ONE year to complete ONE map.

On that note, they should open up a player studio section for map building, vehicle design and more. It is the common trend these days for devs to allow us to make weapons and helmets, heck why not more maps?.

It would slow people down for sure, however making it more user friendly might help. For example: The galaxy could have a bay door open and close function so people can freely walk in, look at a seat and sit down. Plus it would make for some really cool player stories "Dude remember that time you jumped from the cliff and somehow landed in my gal?"
    Or think how cool it would be to have a 12/12 gal with people in the back sitting down waiting for a drop. Bay door opens and everyone jumps out. Just make the enter and exit animations quicker and it should smooth it out slightly.

True, and agreed performance might take a hit. Not necessary however perhaps it can be implemented in the near future (times are changing and peoples PC's are slowly getting upgraded over time) Re-evaluation on this issue at a later date perhaps.

I am on the fence about this as well (Only because it takes resources and time to), however I think it would be a good way to make the game seem more alive and bring some backstory to the mix. People want more lore and Planetside 2 is not relaying that well. The backstory to this game is awesome and can be used to help people stay interested while creating something to look forward to. Plus it would help implement new maps, weapons or characters to the mix. Also it might help motivate people to keep fighting this digital war and potentially keep paying subscriptions for new story based content.

Right now it's "take this base...because...we have to?...and um...yeah. Oh and by the way, this war never ends". Do we know why we are fighting this war? Why is it so important to risk lives, equipment and resources to fight this war? Most players come in to kill a few digital players then leave after a few months or if lucky a year because it gets old. Some NPC's might help a forward feeling for freshness and potentially a sense of purpose (if done right and updated every often). People that truly love this game want to be in the universe more...but can't be because the dev's can't or won't let it happen (obviously for financial reasons, which make sense)
  5. Insignus

Perhaps now we can have Phase 2 of the Valkyrie.
    • Up x 1
  6. WeRelic

Damn, I knew I should've applied :rolleyes:

Good news though. Hopefully DBG follows through on their latest trend. I'm liking the transparency and semi-regular updates. Now if we can just get them to post things on their own forums...
  7. Kristan

Well that requires a PSA tag.
  8. Acceleratio

-More novelty (The serious war and realistic graphics is great and all, but to be honest, novel games sell better and are more light hearted and fun especially after a long days work. Think Overwatch, WoW, Team fortress. So adding more goofball character armor, voice packs and general graphic style is needed to revitalize this franchise. Plus it's easier on people's PC's (depending on optimization)

I strongly disagree!!!
    I get it- some people love colourfull gummybear/teletuby overstyled shooters and games and thats fine and dandy but alot of people dislike it too. I loathe it personaly if I want the freaking colours of rainbows in my eyes all the time I would play candy crush with my wife or throw in some LSD while playing. In contrast I would love to have more immersion in this game like more yells better sounding guns (NC) and more fleshed out factions. Give all those weapons from beta times a pass especially the NS guns for vehicles look ugly (basiliks, kobalt ect)
    Go play overwatch/borderlands/gardenwarfare if you want everything colourfull and silly. PS2 started as a scifi shooter with great lore (which sadly never really gets expanded) and leaned a litte bit more to the serious side at the beginning. Yes the halloween and *shudder* auraxmas updates brought in some ... lets call it variation but it really should stay there otherwise a lot of fans will leave the game if it gets too stupid looking.
    • Up x 2
  9. Diggsano

The most People left VS on Cobalt due to 2years of nerfing VS over and over again.....if they would just buff the Spiker to a good Pistol, make Lasher compareable to the other 2 Heavy Weapons there would be already some people come back....
  10. Caramboul

Nice to hear but Daybreak should develope with this new energy better a new Planetside 3 instead of excusivily repairing and fixing a rusty PS2.

As example: PS2 is a CPU game but should be a GPU game using a new and better grafic engine and a much better ram management.
  11. orangejedi829

ALL ABOARD TEH PLANETSIDE 3 HYPE TRAIN
  12. Musashioni

For PS4:

1.) Relaunch the game. It still is listed as open beta and many will avoid the game due to this factor. I have heard, that DBG does not want to do this, since everyone will have to redownload. It's a small sacrifice for potential new players.

2.) Have the game listed properly. Currently you have to search for the game by either genre or specific name. The issue lies in the fact it is listed under arcade games; not fps, not even rpg, but arcade.

3.) Have a link to the official site and/or news feed. I think most of us understand why the PS4 is far behind the PC version but having feedback that the developers are still interested, can boost morale. Our updates can have gaps of months and usually are just hot fixes with asthetics. Give thebplayers feedback that someone is working on the ps4. You do not want to be associated with games that try to makenall they can before the game crashes.

4.) Minor bug fix response times. The major updates are complex and while I realize a minor bug may turn out to be very complex, the minor bugs begin stack rather quickly. A few examples:
    1.) Gauss Prime can only use half of the available scopes.
    2.) When the gauss prime is set in a load out, if the player logs out or warps, it is changed to a basic gauss with no attachments. It gets annoying having to re-equip this everytime.
    3.) Revive glitches. Medics have to wait long enough before doing a revive or they risk the person not being able to accept and the revive count down still going. In addition to this, it will spawn you and you are unable to exit the screen until the time runs out, leaving you rather exposed if you were spawned on a sunderer.
    4.) Engineers cannot select the limited time camos (solid dark green camo for example).

Again a few of many and when tickets are opened, a courteous response of it being a known issue that is being work on is provided. It grows frustrating to see patches of "minor fixes" with many of these issues remaining prevelant. With the frequent blue screens and tending stagnation due to content release times, these minor issues grow to a discouraging annoyance. It can go a long way for revenue to show some action in this regard.
  13. FieldMarshall

14. Airazor

OP (original poster) here

I second that! I 100% agree fully to committing to Planetside 3 instead of fixing PS2.