[BUG] State of PS2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Noppa, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Noppa

So i haven't really been playing in a year or so and came back so far in 2 days the bugs i have seen that wasn´t in the game the last time i played;

- On warpgate spawn u get under the building, below the map.
    - Exiting Vehicles near mountain or hill makes you drop tru the map(old bug from 2 years ago, was fixed but back ingame again.
    - Hitboxes are way of most of the times and hitreg is off too, used to be a lot better.
    - few times had to restart the hole client so i can see vehicles and other players(they just vanished middle of the zerg)

So, thats alot of bugs in 2 days, so how is it possible that the older the game comes the more bugs there are ? :D

Only good thing is that FPS is better than the last time i played, now get around 100-160 nonstop.
  2. Vorest

Planetside is slowly dying, unless devs are hiding major update and bugfix. There is more and more bugs and problems, customer support got extremely unresponsive. Good example of a bug are reversed pain fields in Galaxy Solar Plant after last update. Now they kill base owners that respawn in spawnroom while not damaging attackers. Normally such major bug would be fixed within hours, now it's around one week since introduction and devs did nothng... Did I mention new platinum weapon that will not be awarded to many players, because they were active while DBC strongly recommend being inactive in order to get their rewards?
  3. Eternaloptimist

I'm not arguing the point one way or the other but I can say that there have been some huge (and very welcome) new content releases and this may be related to those. I've been playing daily for ages now and I have only experienced the falling through the floor bug myself (and only in VR training). BUt some players do seem to have it worse than others.

Huge increase in players since construction was launched...........

Ummm, did I mention construction launch?

Guess I missed that email :confused:. In fact it was meant to be an incentive to inactive players to log back in but the advertising was borked
  4. Rolfski

Don't listen to the doom sayers here. Since launch, almost every update introduced bugs into the game, because that's just the nature of it. If you fix something, chances are you break something else in the process.
    However, devs have always been quick to sort these bugs out and even the nasty ones that are hard to track, will eventually get solved.
    • Up x 1
  5. DooDooBreff

so why dont you just go away instead of making a troll account to whine with?

or is it that you cant leave because you afford to pay to play something else?
  6. stalkish

No girlfriend
    No friends
    No money
    No hobby (outside of PC games)

No life.

So of course the next best thing is to troll those who do.
    • Up x 2
  7. Seron

wth are you talking about. Planetside 2 is in no way dying. quite the contrary to say the least

In any sensible Application or Game development. decisions have to be made about where to allocate developer-resources. DBG has shown over the last couple of months that their chosen path is one of optimalization and new content and mechanics (not just some more helmets). The last feat they can be proud to call their own is the construction system. Such a major implementation has not been seen in the entire lifespan of the game.

I play the game daily these days, and sure there are some bugs but what do you expect after such a huge implementation of mechanics, tweaking of optimization, ...

DBG has made a continous awesome effort in managing this game on the community side (more active communication, taking Wel aboard,...), aswell as the technical side. And they are constantly working on bringing the next thing.

To OP: Any game that provides FPS combat on an mmo scale as PS2 brings WILL have bugs and its most vulnerable part WILL allways be hitreg and netcode (at least in the forseeable future). It is up you to decide if you like the genre enough to handle these vulnerabilities, at a F2P rate, might i add.If not, then there are plenty of other fine-tuned shooters that can handle a hunderd or so players at a time.
  8. customer548

Most of what you describes happens to me like 1 or 2 times per month only.
    I never had people and vehicules disappearing around me.
    Maybe should you consinder your own computer being a part of or the entire problem.
    OC is not always a good friend.
  9. Noppa

I was kind of thinking that at somepoint someone takes the OC card out , no the OC hasn't never been my problem in this game, it is the game it self and the bugs it has... after all iv been playing this game ALOT after the launch and the OC hasn't change anything at any point(well i get more fps), game works the same with OC or stock clocks.

Sure for some ppl who dont know how to OC or dont test clocks --> OC might be a problem, but i aint the case!

And yeah, there was 2 times when i didn't see other players or vehicles and 1 time dropped tru map when exiting vehicle near mountain(it only happens when the exit point is blocked by hill or mountain, like i said old bug).. but still they are bugs in the game, even when they happen every 1/100 times you play ;)

Sure there is gonna be problems, mostly cos of the clientside hitdetection and high ping players.. 100ms ping limit to the servers and it will fix most of the problems, anything above 100 is anyway unplayable.
  10. stalkish

I think thats a little harsh on the OP, most of what he described ive seen over the last 2 weeks.
    My bro was playing normaly on a very capable PC (same as mine - keep reading..) when all of a sudden his friends, enemies, vehicles, anything not terrain was gone. My game was fine, we'd been playing the same amount of time and as i said earlier, have the exact same PC setup. It was the game. I think he took a screeny and posted it in our outfit discord, ill have a look when i get home and post you the image if he did

Another weird incident was when a control point disappeared, he could walk through it and stand inside it while on other peoples screens it was there, my screen showed it. He could even make himself 90% hidden inside it, now that would be rather anoying of a stalker cloaker to do, youd never find them.
    Again he has nothing different to me about his PC, all we really do on them is play PS2 and Star Citizen alpha, he has nothing installed that would mess with the game in any way.

I spawn underneath the warpgate on Indar all the time, i think it happens more frequently when you've changed continents. Perhaps the game is mixing up the warpgate spawn location from your original continent? No idea.

Falling beneath the floor happens 100% of the time if your vehicle is parked in a particular spot. Ill tell you where aswel:
    • Any ravine
    If your vehicle sides are blocked by terrain, but there isnt anything intersecting the area you appear when you exit, then youll fall through the floor. You dont actualy fall through, you appear already through it and simply fall. If the terrain is intersecting with the exit area on both sides you will get an 'all exits are blocked' message. This one is particularly annoying since you can enter your vehicle from anywhere, any angle, but you must appear in 1 of the 2 places specified when exiting. Makes no sense at all.

Cant say i agree with him on hitboxes, ive seen some wierd stuff lately and im sure my hit reg has broken occasionaly, but i dont see it regularly enough to not just put it down to lagg.
    • Up x 1
  11. customer548

I have an i5-3570 + 5-7 years old Mobo. I don't overclock because it makes your computer unstable and reduces its components' lifespan. I remember reading threadss dealing with strange stuff happening in games, due to OC. That's why i talked about it. I didn't want to be harsh in any way with the OP. That was just my very own temporary theory.

As i said, i more than rarely see those kind of stuff happening. So, maybe it is related to the fact that i avoid the fact of playing during prime times. Or hardware conflict due to PS2 coding problem, or server bandwith / server issues during prime times.

About the hitboxes, i have a random problem happening randomly on Cobalt. It seems that i'm not the only one. So, yeah...
  12. Seron

100 is still very playable. ping limits are also tricky to enforce in an mmo f2p-model. You're vasty limiting your customerbase. In the current situation, Maybe more regional servers might help, but seeing how Briggs turned out I doubt that''lbe deemed a worthy option.

and even then you can not force players who played on server X for X amount of months to move out because of new rules.
  13. Noppa

100 is no where near playable on FPS games, if you play only vehicles then yes, maybe barely(cos of the longer TTK and bigger hitboxes), but on infantry max is around 60ms.. but then again at this game it doesnt matter if u have 2ms and other have 150ms, it is still ****** up cos you'r ms + server's ms + other's ms = hitreg so..
  14. stalkish

Agreed on the OC. I too dont delve into that sort of thing, i just buy gear that is more powerful than i need.
    Whenever ive tried to OC in the past it just gives me the blue screen, even just increasing by a very small margin.
    Probably im just a noob when it comes to OC, but like you said, it puts additional strain on your parts so i steer well clear.
  15. TeknoBug

As of Construction patch? Fantastic.

As of patch over the past week? Crap.

Not entirely true about lifespan getting reduced, if you're OC'ing to a stupid amount then yes it can put the strain on motherboard's VRM/chipset and CPU's internal circuit but CPU's are very hard to kill and besides if a CPU only lasts 5 years from OC'ing, who cares- most PC's gets upgraded within the 5 year timeframe anyways. The most important factor about OC'ing is proper cooling and proper motherboard (8+1 phase or more) for OC'ing, I've OC'd my i7 3770K to 4.5GHz with hardly any tweaks to BIOS and it lasted for years until I sold it to pay for the cost of moving. I remember attemptin to OC my Phenom II X6 1090T on a 4+1 phase board and it didn't have very good end results as it basically fried the VRM, I was planning ot trash that motherboard anyways.

Also I ran a dual Pentium Pro server for 12+ years (stock 200MHz, OC'd to 220MHz) with 6 SCSI drives, it maintained an 95% uptime over the years.
  16. customer548

I usually keep my computers 7 to 8 years. After that, i use those for working tasks. Or i give those.
    Frying mobos or anything else is not in my plans.
    OC'ing also adds expenses due to the need of a proper cooling, as you mentioned it. And the warranty is gone in case of hardware issue.
    OC'ing is not something i really need.
  17. Noppa

If you do OC right u dont risk you´r parts at all and they last as long as they do when using em as stock, sure it adds little bit of cost cos you need to choose better parts and better cooling, but you also get 20-30% more power from you'r PC with minimal cost.

Warranty covers the parts even when if they "burn", cos there is no way telling how the part got broke.

Lets see my overclock atm, sure i got little better parts and also little better cooling, but i also have mitx setup which makes more heat cos all the parts are packed close to each others.
    My cpu is still in undervoltage but 4.2ghz compared to stock 3.6ghz, also my GPU is overclocked 200mhz+ but still runs in stock voltages, also memory is overclocked from 2400mhz to 2600mhz and also run in stock voltages.

So i payed around 50 euros more to that to get that 20%+ more speed from my PC with stock voltages(or under stock voltages), without risking anything, id say it is wort the time and money.