[Suggestion] Say NO to new arts

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Masyaka, Jun 3, 2016.

1. DragenoidHighLord

Funny enough the "seeing red " art with max overkilling it sounds TRish,"more dakka or your a hacka ":p
    I mean the art is art,you interpret it the way you think you see it,but in reality it is what it is,a ilustration of what happens in the game even if it actualy doesn't since the game has no storyline gameplay so you would get the idea but naaah.They are what we are practicly doing,instead this is being taken as a movie or comic book aproach as if this was some movie or a comic book and the last few pictures on the last page where the end of a battle or struggle is posted a picture of the victor and the loser.
  2. Taemien

The great thing about freedom of speech is one has the freedom to make a fool of themself.

Which you just did. /applaud
    • Up x 1
  3. cbplayer

I am not sure who is the stupider person here, OP or sc1nrusher
  4. Eranorz

Woah, easy there.

There's a lot of us who do actually like the game so much that we pay for subs and regularly buy DB cash. I myself have spent upwards of 100 USD, and I have friends who have spent as much as 1000. We spend this money on the game because we are pleased by the experience and want to support it. Point being, the game might be free to play but many of us have invested in it to the point we almost feel like "shareholders" to some extent, and we feel as though we contribute enough that our feedback should be relevant to the devs.

But I am not defending the OP. I think naming the thread "say no to the new arts" is blatant sensationalism and over the top.

That being said, Many of you are reading these objections to the new art and misinterpreting it as a SJW tirade, chiding the OPs like some kind of sycophantic mob. What you're failing to see is that even with the public execution aspect of it aside, most players don't want to be misrepresented as being part of a faction which glorifies ganking/killing someone 6 or 7 vs. 1. Most players want load-screens which display epic-scale, glorious combat and a spirit of balanced, competitive play. The new load-screens do neither.

Does said ganking happen in-game? Sure it does, but it's an objectively shameful part of it and there is a certain "dishonor" which taints such an act, hence most of us see no need to glamorize it in this fashion.
  5. Taemien

There is no 'dishonor' in PS2. I've been saying this for nearly three and a half years.

Most of you come from Match Based Shooters, or PVE-oriented MMORPGs. Which means you are NOT accustomed to what PVP is. In both those aformentioned genres. When players face off, its usually on equal, consensual, and fair terms. A level of sportsmanship is usually expected, and sometimes special rules are agreed upon to make things more.. sporting or interesting.

This is a PVP-oriented MMO however. PVP at its base is unfair, confrontational, and brutal. You can and will be engaged at any point in time by any low-down, dirty, crazy, and brutally unfair tactic that can be conceived. You will also be outnumbered, outgunned, and out-thought.

In more 'fair' matchups in other games. The idea is to have a fair and balanced match up. The competition is friendly, interesting, and rated in some occasions. In PVP, the competition is nasty, grueling, and unmoderated (except for exploits and cheats obviously).

That doesn't make PS2 more hardcore, or those other games less so. They're different. The confrontations aren't meant to be unfun. Just different. Its something many of you aren't accustomed to. The idea of someone dominating another team in such a manner where its totally unfair is well.. alien.

That's what these pictures represent. Its brutal. Nasty. Unfair. Not for the feint of heart.

There's many 'dishonorable' things that are apart of PS2:

1. Sniping Terminals.
    2. Mining Terminals.
    3. Mining Vehicle Pads.
    4. Spawn Camping.
    5. Warpgate Camping.
    6. Over-zerging.
    7. C4 Suicide
    8. C4-Flash Raming
    9. Ramming with Air.
    and too much more to list.

All of that is apart of PS2 whether we like it or not. Personally.. I like it. Why? Because I like to PVP. I like to do dirty tactics to my enemies. My hope is they will engage in the same right back. You see.. when I'm unfair.. I am expecting my enemy to do the same. And make no mistake.. the opposing teams are my ENEMY. Rather than opponents.

They are meant to be demonized, de-humanized, and exploited socially and mentally. But I am not a hypocrite. I expect the same in return. When I encounter something new. I am engaged. I find a new strategy that must be countered. I don't get that same thrill from a mere 'opponent' in a match based game. In such games the tactics and counters are known and measured until the next patch... until it is measured again.

But in PS2.. the enemy always poses a NEW challenge everytime I login. Sure there's strategies and such there are 'tried and true'. The zerg and the pugs are always going to be predictable. But very often there's a crafty leader who tries something outside the box.

That's what that art represents. The brutality, the nastiness, and above all.. the craftiness of the Squad or Platoon Leader. What you are seeing in those images is the representations of the successful results of such. The joking around, the comraderie of a squad, the calm after the storm.

Take a look at the images. Move your eyes away from the obvious attempt at humor in the centerpiece and look at the lounging nature of the others present.

This is why people should not censor. Should not jump to conclusions. Do not be so quick to judge. Appreciate each image for its entirety. Look at everything from another point of view.
    • Up x 2
  6. Jex_=TE=

You can replace it with a pic of my hairy *** if you want?
    • Up x 1
  7. Haquim

I agree.
    I don't think its exactly on topic (although its hard not to derail that one), but I agree.

I certainly don't like encountering two MAX suits in a 1-12 fight and I will certainly complain about the skillsuits... but I will never want to actually forbid anybody to use them.

That being said, I also like a limit on dirty tactics. EVE online for example has a bit too much freedom in this regard.
  8. Moridin6

just need more in the rotation

epic battle - domination - execution - fleeing a loss (orig nc pic) - epic battle

just so its not These every time, and im good
  9. RainbowDash9

Lets pester devs to make observer cam a DBC unlockable so i can take some motha fukkin battle screens so everyone can **** and be happy
  10. Cheetoh

You do realize that stored DNA-blueprints, medical nanites, and rebirthing are part of the game's lore.

Death is only temporary on Auraxis.

That said some people with mental health issues have a hard time separating fantasy from reality, but really those people shouldn't be playing video games to start with. Where are their parents?
  11. DCTH

I don't like the new screens much either. They just don't represent the game or the factions.
    In my opinion they would be better with the groups just "posing" ... for example the TR-one with the Prowler in the background looks like one of those old pictures where the tank-crew is just chillin around.

Or all of these points, even though as marked as 'dishonorable':

Those i think would be kind of funny and at the same time would give hints and warnings about various play-styles. Kinda like the current tipps do already.

Something else would be to show pictures of bases, with name, location on the continent and maybe some background story with it (not much, just 2-3 sentences). So that beginners or even long-term players like me learn where the bases are.

Or some technical fluff about the es MBTs, in the style of highly secret data (blurry pictures and stolen documents complete with annotations with possible working tactics against them ... like "aim for middle mass" on a documet about the Magrider.

So in conclusion ... i don't just like the current ones because they do not really fit the gameplay, but more because they've could be so much better.
  12. DragenoidHighLord

Guys,loosen up a bit,its a step in the right direction,if you know any better artists that draw concept art or art relating PS2 and suggest them for the future update.Its made to represent the profile and their agenda,motives which explains why they sound like that.
    VS-Alien dudes,religous and stuff,so thats why they look more alienish
    TR-Oh man soldier dudes,pretty much actuall military dudes who went to boot camp
    NC-Freedom fighting cowboys who got good toons and old tanks :D
  13. Devilllike

there is 1 for each race i dont see why you get so ******** over it GIT GOOD
  14. Tsar

That's not 'disnorable' - just common tactics....
  15. Tsar

Good point!
    That is exactly, what is PS2 gaming is good at and why I like it.

And that is just the contradiction, there I do not follow your reasoning.
    The art does not represent these essence of PS2, the deeper sense of combat.

I do not censor - I judge - and I am offended
    - by the cheap style (including an indecent centered copyright)
    - by the implication of some of these pics that do not represent PS2
    - by thoughtless management, forcing me to see the crap with no possibility to opt out
  16. Tsar

No need to loosen up, just discount the obvious trolls and you have a friendly discussion :rolleyes:

In my opinion they would need no drawing artist - if they make a screen shot contest they would have enough basic content.
    Give that to a good post production studio and they should have quite a few good load screens.
  17. TwoSkies

So, so stupid. Please just relax and enjoy the game. I mean, really? Complaining about seeing your faction getting killed in load screen? Or complaining about over-the-top video game violence? Come on. The execution scene is actually my favorite because it reinforces the "space commissar" feel for the TR.