GTX 950 STRIX Realistic Expectations

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DeadlyOmen, Jun 6, 2016.

1. DeadlyOmen

Howdy.

So I changed my vid card from a GTX 480 to a GX 950 STRIX OC. The 480 had overheating issues that I simply could not control.

I'm working on a gaming rig, but won't mention the hardware, so's you won't hate me.

Question...what types of FPS should a 950 STRIX deliver? I have it at 1768x992, Ultra settings, and am reading out at 29 FPS.

Seems low to me...
  2. Liewec123

you'll need to give your full specs if you want help estimating FPS, a graphics card will only get you so far (speaking as someone with a GTX 980 throttled by a crappy old processor and cpu) :p

edit: but yes 29 is pretty low
  3. DeadlyOmen

ah yes...

i7 2600 3.4Ghz
    16 GB RAM
    Win 10 64
    P67 Sabretooth MB

With the 480, I was getting 40+ in large battles. I expected more with the 950.
  4. Liewec123

yep you should be getting a lot more, happy 60s atleast.

something is definitely screwy!
  5. DeadlyOmen

That's what I thought too.

Here's the weird (read: subjective) part.

The FPS reader in game never changes from 29, despite the intensity of battle, and the frames look real smooth.

Anywho, first hours with new GPU, so still need to figure it out.
  6. Mezinov

This makes me think one of the various frame limiter settings, either in PS2 or the GPU driver/software suite, is enabled.

I personally don't fret frames unless something /feels/ wrong. If everything feels smooth I don't even have the information displayed.
  7. SwornJupiter

There are several tweaks you can make to your settings to get great performance while still getting a crisp looking game.

Iridar51 has made a fantastic guide here: http://iridar.net/planetside2/performance-guide/

Basically, you want to:
    - Lower (or even turn off) shadows. This appears to make a day-or-night different in terms of performance.
    - Turn off useless graphic settings like flora (lol). Don't get me wrong, flora is pretty, much there's not that much to awe at when everything is exploding around you.
    - Turning off V-sync does help a bit
    - Turn off smoothing if you're getting 60+ fps
    - Turn render quality to about 80-85%

If I'm not wrong, everything else you should be able to handle at high settings.
  8. orangejedi829

The 950 is more powerful than the 660, which I personally know can run the game no problem at 60fps on High or even Ultra settings.
    So if you're getting lower framerates, something other than your GPU is bottlenecking your system. Turning down your graphics settings will likely not help you.
    Next to the in-game FPS counter (Alt+F to show it), does it say "[CPU]" or "[GPU]"? This is trying to tell you whether it's the graphics rendering or the game processing that's the limiting factor to your current framerate.
    It's strange that you're getting a steady 29fps. As others suggested, I'd try turning off VSync in-game and in the NVidia control panel (under "3D Application Settings"). You could also try resetting the 3D Application Settings in the Nvidia control panel, just in case anything obscure got changed.
  9. DeadlyOmen

Thanks for the inputs folks, really appreciated. I'll check those tips out tonight. After running the game for so long without having to touch it, a non-tech mind forgets the little tweaks.

I was watching the CPU/GPU indicator, and it goes back and forth, which surprised me.