[Suggestion] LA smoke upgrade: Decrease enemy resistances

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Demigan, May 25, 2016.

1. Demigan

A simple update for the LA smoke grenades to set them apart from the free and more universal underbarrel smoke. Any player, deployable or vehicle inside the smoke of a smoke grenade will have it's resistances lowered so it'll receive more damage. The effect remains for 5 seconds after passing through the smoke.

This is both a good punishment against players who turn off smoke in the .ini files and adds more use to it, especially compared to the Flash grenade which got buffed and the fact that the smoke grenade costs resources but does not really have anything special compared to the underbarrel smoke grenades.
    • Up x 2
  2. Eternaloptimist

But I've never turned off smoke, why should I take more damage during and after passing through it? Note: I have no view for or against buffing smoke, but not this.

Why don't they just make it impossible to Q spot people through smoke? That would have cost me one or two sniper kills last night.
    • Up x 1
  3. Gundem

While perhaps that specific change might be a little bit too convoluted(How do you make sure it equally benefits all damage tiers, how do you make sure it plays nice with headshots, how do you make sure it's not completely broken), I do agree that smoke needs buffed.

What if we went as far as to have enemies given the Darklight silhouette?

I can only assume that it's a nanite generated smoke, therefore the Nanites should be able to determine friend or foe and give your allies the ability to see enemies inside it.

In it's current state, Smoke Grenades are like a side-grade with a built-in side-grade. They can't kill like frags can, and they blind your allies as much as your enemies.

IR/NV Should be for countering enemy smoke, not a requirement for using it.
  4. Demigan

You "should" take more damage after passing through it because the resistance-reducing effect stays with you, because nanites.
    I thought it would be better to allow the effect to stay for a few seconds after passing through, but it doesn't have to.

I would love it if you couldn't Q-spot through smoke, or even better if players inside smoke lost their Q-spot while losing the Q-spot on everyone else as well.
  5. DeadlyOmen

No Q-Spot is what smoke really needs.

Calling upon beating those who adjust system specs won't do anything. Those type of people will just keep doing it.

Appeal to the highest common denominator-not the lowest.
  6. Shiaari

The best update for smoke grenades would be for the smoke to be unaffected by graphics settings.