Now while Gorgons are out...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kristan, May 21, 2016.

1. Kristan

... I haven't seen a single NC max with them.

What's the matter? [IMG]
  2. Campagne

Probably the whole "they're worse than everything in their field" thing. ;)
    • Up x 1
  3. UberNoob1337101

Saw no need to get them.

After all, we know that slugged extended mags Mattocks are the best MAX AI in the game ;)
  4. thebigbortishbort

i saw like one or two , but they just got utterly molested and i haven't seen once since , though i HAVE heard one.

the mystical gorgon max.
  5. Pikachu

No reason they would use them. NC players want AI weapons with more range. Gorgons were obviously never meant to be better at range than NC MAX slugs otherwise they would be a direct upgrade. Anyway it's norm that new weapons don't get any popularity.
  6. Azawarau

I use them for AI
  7. Kristan

Exactly. NC players cried for their MAX machine guns, we told em "use slugs", they're like "nooo, slugs are traaash", and now they got machine guns... and they almost ignore them. I like it. The Great Justice. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  8. Kristan

:eek:
  9. Psykmoe

I don't remember a lot of NC asking for more AV guns, but Gorgons are okay.

Since it isn't their role, they're obviously slow killers against infantry - a pair of Gorgons does less damage than any automatic weapon regular infantry can use as primary weapon (600rpm/125dmg) - so less than the Corvus (526rpm/167dmg) or NS-15M (625rpm/143) but more than the Emissary secondary. (577/112)

Mercies do the same damage to infantry - 125 at any range - but are more accurate, have higher velocity, larger magazines, quicker reload, and an extra 126rpm per arm. A pair of Mercies is worth nearly 3 Gorgons against infantry, and Mercies are the 'lower damage, higher accuracy' TR MAX gun (Their combined 852rpm still makes Mercies comparable to a Blitz/Sirius without the damage loss at range).

With Gorgons, you win fights against infantry because your MAX is a giant sack of hitpoints, not because the guns are notable.

Consequently, in many scenarios, I'll simply stick to slug shotgun arms - people continue to just make easy targets of themselves when they see a shotgun MAX, expecting buckshot.

Against vehicles they're pretty okay. Very forgiving to use, although empire specific weapons will do better if all you're doing is shooting ground vehicles and landing most of your hits. The fully automatic nature makes walking them onto targets a breeze, and they're a bit easier to use against infantry that knows they have strafe keys than other MAX AV options.

Gorgons are good against MAXes. Due to resists, Mercies take 80 hits to kill a MAX, Gorgons take 45, easily making up for the inferior rate of fire. Unlike, say, a Basilisk, Gorgons do the full x2 damage on headshots, too. An experienced Comet/Pounder user is still likely to dumpster you, but you got a solid chance if you start the fight at some distance. Gorgons generally just let you roll over AI MAXes, especially if you're combining them with Kinetic Armor to extend your own hitpoints - Kinetic armor specifically doesn't affect the heavy machinegun basilisk damage type which Gorgons seem to share, so the enemy has no way to extend their own toughness against you. If you're close enough to land headshots, you can ignore an engineer and just blast down the MAX.

So they're pretty alright at most things and good against MAXes, and you can engage any type of target to some extend without having to go switch weapons. That convenience factor is great. Getting vehicle assists and air deterrence is always welcome extra xp, and if I'm fighting between bases (say, between Indar Ex and Quartz) I'll always run Gorgons because they damage every possible target. These are the kind of fights where most NC won't pull AI MAXes (slugs are hugely unpopular) but it's not unusual to see TR/VS bring AI MAXes into outside fights, which Gorgons do well against.

I don't regret getting Gorgons. It's just a question of knowing when to use them.

And hey, since Daybreak quadrupled cert costs for first generation AV arms from 250 to 1000 per arm, you may as well give Gorgons a spin at some point, you save less certs by just getting a second Pounder/Comet/Falcon than you used to. ;)
    • Up x 4
  10. DragenoidHighLord

Gordon is the "Jack of all trades" it is able to deal dmg to ANYTHING,meaning its the undesputed king of supression and support fire.Its ability to dish out dmg to any vehicle makes it harder for repair and MAXes don't get time to get auto repair on.Along with a few heavies Gordon MAX is the support you will never regret having due to him being a Jack of all trades.
    ESF flies by-shoot it,
    tank rolls up-Shoot it!
    Enemy heavy peaks out-shoot it!
    You name it it will be able to dmg it and dealing suplemental damage and in coordination it can be very nice to have one.I actually once looking at a video about the NS-Gordon conviced me to maybe get that in the future since its a fitting gun for my playstyle.
  11. DragenoidHighLord

This is the video,i forgot to add it in the first post.
  12. Moridin6

most of the nc maxs i see do just fine smacking inf with wire guided ravens. oh and that wrecks vehics too. kinda like the tr's nade launcher. while we vs have.. zoe?
  13. thebigbortishbort

vs have blue testical launchers with no drop , that are also painful to infantry / vehicles alike.
  14. Gundem

Sounds like DBG did a damn good job on it. Not overpowered, not really underpowered, just good at what it does, which is being "okay" at everything.
  15. LaughingDead

I've seen literally every other max use them in base fights, even one max had one arm equipped with it.

Also the case that you get in a fight with a AI max at range (which is all other factions) or even close range, their damage output and resistance values actually beat AI maxes. Against vehicles you can chip damage everything, constant harrassment is a powerful tool not to be ignored.

Also spending 2000 certs on one gun alone to make it viable is a pretty substantial disadvantage when it comes to "double mattocks with slugs being the best AI weapon in the game". You probably haven't seen one because unless it's a diverse fight, most will simply specialize for the occasion, or ya know, not charge into a room with them.
  16. omegaskorpion

There are many reason why people dont see many NC using Gorgon...

1000 certs is a quite big investenment for a new players, that propably have spend their starting certs to infantry weapons or vehicle weapons. 2000 certs is even more for 2 arms. Even with double XP players will most likely buy things first that they WILL use more ofthen.

Veterans and pros propably use max weapons they already had as they know how to use them and propably tested the gorgons but either disliked them or just didn't find them usefull for their play styles, or just havent unlocked them yet.

Also considering that max is Risk to use, as it uses alot of resources to pull and can be instakilled with C4 or with 2 rockets.

So many other reason...

however i did some testing with the 30min test period and i had Gorfon in left arm and Grinder with slugs in the other.
    It worked quite nicely, i managed to get alot of kills with it.
    However i will more likely not get the gorgons, as i have too many other things to unlock before i will upgrade my max any further.
  17. Liewec123

my take on why gorgon is useless for ALL factions is that if i want AI i'll stick with slugged mattocks / blueshifts / mercys
    if i want to be versatile i'll use prounders/falcons/comets and be great/good/decent at AI and excellent at AV.
    gorgons are just bad at AI, awful at AA and absolutely hilariously bad at AV.
    i'd rather be good at 2 things than bad at 3 :p

if the past is anything to go by though i expect to seem them get buffed to make sales,
    perhaps they will be OP for a little while to uber boost sales but eventually they'll get balanced to be better than now.