How much would a Planetside anime cost?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sebastian oscar post, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebastian oscar post

Now that daybreak is wiping their ******** with cash, a anime show could be on the horizon.
    Just how much would it take to make it a reality?
  2. DragenoidHighLord

From what i've found out. Found on http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05
    Every anime fan, at one time or another, daydreams about making an anime. It's not an uncommon sight to see younger fans toiling over their own original manga, fantasizing that one day it might get an animated TV show.
    And yet few of us really has any idea what it takes to make an anime, and what happens each and every time a new show gets off the ground. We see a bunch of names and companies scroll by in the credits, and though we have a general idea of how animation works, and how a show literally gets made, few fans really understand the power behind producing a show. What idea will get animated? What manga or game will see an adaptation? Who will produce the animation? And how will everyone get paid?
    The truth is, producing an anime is a herculean task: a gigantic amount of money and manpower get poured into every production well behind the scenes, before a single drawing is even created. The stakes are huge for every company involved, and every season will have a number of winners and losers.
    • Up x 3
  3. ArcKnight

one big question, how would they present this game as an anime ? also the main cast are they civilians caught in he cross fire? or part of the 3 factions ?
  4. Ryme_Intrinseca

[citation needed]
    • Up x 8
  5. DragenoidHighLord

Oh by the way i found a little bit more.
    That said, a single anime episode costs about US$100,000-300,000 per episode, according to various producers we've talked to. That might seem like a lot, but in reality it's pretty cheap, about on par with an American deep-cable TV show.
  6. sebastian oscar post

i basically want it to be like a small squad of NC, TR and VS renegades trying to end the war on Auraxis by exposing the true evil behind the war....Nanite Systems.

or something like this...
    • Up x 3
  7. Movoza

How do you figure they are flush with cash and why do you think an animebis a good idea? I mean what would the story be about but the static war?
  8. EPIC389

You realize the true evil in this war is Brent Waterson? He killed god damn Tom Connery

Avenge Tom
  9. Diilicious

it would be a slice of life anime about a small group of high and low ranking VS scientists who got mixed up in admin and were sent to the front lines by mistake. Given a gun and a spandex jumpsuit, follow the team of misfotunates as they do everything they power to worm out of fighting, fearing people actually seeing them wearing a spandex jumpsuit like its a normal thing to wear.

Or an Drama / action thriller about several people from different factions that get lost whle pumpkin hunting on hossin, coming face to face with vicious wildlife deep in the swamps and have to band together in order to survive, will they be able to set aside their differences? will they all make it out? who knows.
    • Up x 3
  10. Kristan

I hope it's gonna have thick... plot.

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  11. orangejedi829

And I'm okay with, you know, multiple storylines.
    • Up x 1
  12. TOXIC_MACHAMP

yknow i would not be okay with 1 plot i mean wouldnt that be weird lets have multiple universal plots ;) oh yeah and meybe we should make planetsideanime into a game HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA u dont get it? do u?
    • Up x 1
  13. Gundem

I'll... Have to disagree with that statement.

Beyond my own, well, Personal bias against Anime in general, I have noticed a certain trend within the animated sphere of extremely low-quality content being mass-produced. And yet, remarkably enough, this garbage incarnate keeps going on and on.

My suspicion: "Plot". The more "Plot" is shoved in, the more horny teenagers will watch it and popularize it.

Simply consider the fact that there is maybe one failed live or CGI show or movie for every few thousand ****** Anime's you hear of?

My best guess is that Anime is simply easy to produce. Sure, in it's own right it's not going to be "Easy", compared to say, breathing, beating a PS4 player walking around or some other arbitrary or simple task. But compare the difficulty of getting some combined 7 voice actors(Yes, they reuse voice actors all the time) and a few animators to that of an entire live action film cast?

There is also evidence of this in the gradually lowered quality of the characters themselves. In previous years, for an animated drawing, Anime was quite detailed and thoughtfully made.

In more modern times? Anime is more like a paper cutout, basically put different sized **** on the female characters and absurd hair on the male ones and BAM, instant cast!

But I've got a massive personal prejudice, so why listen to me anyway :confused:
    • Up x 3
  14. Mezinov

War-**** Anime is still pretty thoughtfully drawn. Your Gundam Unicorns and Girls Und Panzer still have overall excellent attention to detail and have gotten much better at mixing traditional and computer generated media.

Unfortunately, those also fall into the "over 300,000$ per episode" category. Since DBG has failed to even bankroll a compelling tutorial series (even when they technically had S of the SOE capital) - I doubt they would cough up the cash dollars for something good.

That said, I happen to have an "in" on the 'cheap animation' style studios - computer generated children's television sort - and even that stuff isn't cheap.

A given show will have 2-3 coordinators, 1-2 storyboard artists, 5-6 general asset artists, 5-6 animators, and 2-3 oxygen combusion machines (managers). The coordinators and artists are going to be making 40-50k each, the storyboarders a bit more 45-60k, and the combustion machines generally 55-70k. That gives us a lowball of 635k to a highball of 1080k for a season. Even if we halve that, as they are often working two projects at once, you still get 317k to 540k a season.

That gives us a price of 45k to 77k per episode (assuming 7 episode seasons) or 14k to 24k per episode (assuming 20 episode seasons) - and that is for ****** 'cheap animation' style studio productions.

Nobody ever gave hard numbers (obviously) for the cost of the Planetside 2 launch trailer - you know the one with the NC dude - but from old Higby and John Reddits the cost was approximately "ohmygodwhy".

Edit; Also I have been informed by my "in" (significant other) that I am an absolute idiot. My number is a hilarious lowball, as the team is usually 80 people per show at their studio. I had salaries about right, just not how many of each;
    2 Coordinators
    2-4 Directors
    2-4 Layout Artists
    5 Storyboard Artists
    10 in Lighting and Compositing
    20 in Build
    40 Animators

Plus about 20 additional Managers, Editors, and Script teams that cover multiple shows.

Crossover of the core team only happens at the start/end of shows (wrapping up one project, starting next) - in the middle juicy bit it is all dedicated.
    • Up x 1
  15. sebastian oscar post

i totally get it.
    if an anime were to be made, it would have to be for the true Planetside fans...people who have a passion for the game and the work and dedication behind it. it should be something that keeps the audience thrilled, guessing and silently encouraging the characters on.
    this could be that anime...not this
  16. Dennisz125

I don't mind about anime shows but I'm concern about how they get profits with low audience also if they did made a show, story would be official and might kill fanbase story's.
  17. sebastian oscar post

1. they just put it on Crunchyroll, boom everyone sees it.
    2. there was hardly any sort of fan-fiction at all!
  18. Chubzdoomer

Ugh, I think anime is garbage that belongs in a country as bizarre (media-wise) as Japan. I hope something like this never sees the light of day.
  19. sebastian oscar post

to be honest with you i totally agree with you. Anime today is just full of near-nude school girls for horny Japanese teens. anime back in the day would just focus on the story and characters and not just their...ugh appearance.
  20. Diilicious

then stop exposing yourself to that kind of anime and look for something better.

like Log Horizon, or Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Nichijou, etc. vgood anime without the stupid cat ears everywhere, and panty shots because why not.

Anime is not 1 thing its a subset of things which differ about as much as you can do thematically. and even if it did nobody would be making you watch it, so why do you even bother to post?

the main antagonist should be a real, slimey piece of work
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.