Gaming rig advice

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Multispastic, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Multispastic

Hi..i8 been building pc's for about 15 years bnut have been out of the game now for about 5 years ..im looking to build the following and would like any advice or anything i might have made a mistake on...(i never used ufei bios windows 10 before.. i always used dvd to install)

Intel® Core™ i5-6400 Processor (6M Cache, upto 3.7GHz

XIGMATEK
    Model: TYR SD962 fan

AVEXIR Core DDR4 2400MHz 8GB ram

gtx asus 750ti

Team Ultra-L5 SSD SATA III
    240GB

no sound card

MSI H110M-PRO VH

SOCKET: 1151
    CPU : 6th Generation (Skylake

still not chosen a case yet but not too bothered..wont be expensive and just need micro atx and good cooling.

2. Multispastic

3. Taemien

I could be wrong.. but Micro ATX and Decent Cooling don't normally go well together. Kind of like laptops and cooling.

I suppose some of the newer Intel CPU and Nvidia GPUs are a bit more heat efficient these days, but from my personal experience they'll still heat up as any normal CPU/GPU when under a full load. Which isn't a problem under normal ATX form factors. I don't know how it would work under micro.

I usually avoid micro ATX mainly due to the number of parts that can be used with it is limited. I don't think my GTX970 would have fit in something that small. It barely fit in the Cyberpower case I have now.
  4. breeje

5. Reclaimer77

Why Micro ATX? Just asking.
  6. Gundem

OP, is there any reason in particular you are getting a Sky Lake CPU?

Your GPU, while likely passable for PS2, is quite mediocre. If you have a set budget, you could easily relieve a lot of that for a stronger GPU with a simple i5-4670k. I use this CPU, and I have it up to 4.2GH'z for gaming. My Coolmaster 212 HYPER EVO keeps it below 60c even when benchmarking.

Basically, you are paying a lot extra for that DDR4 RAM and compatible CPU/MOBO, for honestly not that much benefit.

UNLESS, the world of DDR4 has progressed without me? To my knowledge, DDR4 and Sky Lake aren't huge jumps in performance, like Pascal is estimated to be.
  7. TeknoBug

DON'T waste money on an i5 6400, get an i5 6500. I do not trust Avexir RAM, I'd even pick Corsair or Crucial or Kingston over that brand and most H110 motherboards are limited to DDR4 2133 so getting higher than that is pointless unless you plan on saving that RAM for another system one day. The GTX750Ti is a capable card (I play PS2 on it from time to time on another PC) but for a little more you can get the GTX950.

If your budget is tight, then change the i5 for the i3 6320 and then go with the rest of what I and others suggest.
  8. jmdafk

Id err towards recomending the 6320 to if any budget is a consideration. Its single core performance is staggeringly good.
    Itll cope with most games with ease.
    And it cosumes little power so cooling, case, psu etc arent going to be stressed.
  9. Multispastic

MY OPTIONS ARE LIMITED DUE TO LIVING IN CAMBODIA.. I ONLY KNOW 2 PLACES THAT SELL PARTS:
    http://vtech-computer.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=201_204

http://chantracomputer.com/desktopsystem.html

I WANT A MICRO ATX CASE AS I LIKE THE IDEA OF HAVING A SMALLER UNIT.(I ALWAYS HAD A MASSIVE LOUD TOWER BEFORE) AND FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN ONLINE THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH MICRO ATX GAMING BUILDS....

THE 750TI IS FINE FOR WHAT I NEED AND I ONLY INTEND TO PLAY 1080P

THE REASON FOR CHOOSING SKYLAKE WAS ONLY BECAUSE OF FUTURE PROOFING REALLY... I AM CMPLETELY NEW TO CORE I3/5/7 PROCESSORS AND ONLY USED AMD IN THE PAST...FOM WHAT I UNDERSTAND I CANNOT OVERCLOCK THE NON K VERSIONS..SO THAT WAS MY BIGGEST QUESTION REALLY...THE INTEL/MOBO/RAM COMBOS THAT I AM UNFARMILIAR WITH.

MY BUDGET IS 450$ (I ALREADY HAVE THE GTX750TI) AND THIS IS NOT FOR INCLUSION OF A MONITOR.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!
  10. Multispastic

I AM ALSO TOYING WITH THE IDEA OF AN I3 MASSIVELY OVERCLOCKED
  11. Towie

The Intel non-K processors have been locked for some time now so overclocking is difficult (especially a 'massive' overclock - it just can't be done with BCLK). Having said that, a high clock speed i3 (dual core but hyper threaded, so 4 threads in best case scenario) would still be quick in games.

I read about Skylake overclocking on certain motherboards but that ability is being removed in most BIOS' so I wouldn't bank on it.

Personally - i'd either go i3 and save some cash or a K version of the i5.

Final point - if you are intending on installing Windows 7, you may have challenges due to the removal of USB (EHCI so 2.0) support in certain chipsets. Installing from CD with PS2 keyboard still works though and some manufacturers supply a workaround but something you'll need to look into if you've been off the homebuild scene for a while.
  12. Multispastic

i usually install from dvd win 7..but my latest go at fixing my mums laptop and reinstalling win 10 made me realise its all different now....i now have a bootable win 10 usb stick ready to go so will be going with win 10 unless i hear its not worth it.. tbh im totally happy with 7.. oh and the only i3 i can get here is :

i3-6100 Processor
    (3M Cache, 3.70 GHz)
    = $ 119
  13. Taemien

Then I recommend just getting a PS4.

CPU isn't going to matter with a 750 GPU. That's going to be a bottleneck. And you can't fit anything newer.. and I do mean PHYSICAL fit a newer GPU into a Micro ATX case. We're talking 9.5in (24.13cm) long. There's many ATX cases that doesn't fit in. PS4 will give you better performance and will fit inside the small place you want it to. And it plays PS2 pretty well.

PC gaming is not a cheap hobby. One thing I keep telling people is don't buy anything you can't afford replace as soon as the warranty runs out. Because stuff will Break as soon as that happens. Not always of course. But if you game enough, you'll see it happen.

I've seen it happen many times where someone saves up for a year to buy a brand new PC, budget PC or not. Then something goes wrong after a while and they freak out because its a couple hundred dollars to replace.
  14. Towie

Actually i've just checked the spec sheet on the original processor you mentioned (i5-6400) and it can only boost up to 3.3Ghz - the i3-6100 is 3.7Ghz so will actually be faster in many scenarios, especially games ! Check out this review - http://www.trustedreviews.com/intel-core-i5-6400-review-performance-and-verdict-page-3

Windows 10 from a clean install should be fine - people have had strange performance issues occasionally when upgrading, but (theoretically) there is little to no performance difference between 7 and 10 so i'd say go for it.
  15. Multispastic

thanks towle..i think i will go with the i3 6100 and micro atx
    MSI H110M-PRO VH
    unfortunately i cannot get a z10 board which allows faster ram etc.. i saw a review on the 6100 that shows clearly that faster ram overclock s the processor by a fair amount without raising any clocks.
  16. Multispastic