[Suggestion] Remove "Q" Spotting Through Smoke

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NeoKhor, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Azawarau

That triangle is there without the smoke too. I dont see how thats any easier than no Q spotting

While theyre Queing you can get a leading shot

Same as above for the next few

No. With that logic this is a large scale team based game. I dont know why you said that as if it isnt

I can argue that but let me ask you a question first. If spotting behind walls is an issue then why not tackle that instead?

If that point were made i wouldnt contest it. It hints that you want to not be spotted in smoke than actually caring about being spotted through walls
  2. Ryme_Intrinseca

I'd be in favour of this if only so I could map melee to a button that is actually useable in CQC without giving up other functionality (PS4).
  3. Call-Me-Kenneth

Spotting is fine and its a mayor part of gameplay.

but trough smoke it shouldn't be a marker like it is now, it should show that there is something in there, maybe even what it is, but tracking it is out of the question. it completely nullifies any sort of cover.

popping smoke should break all spots, and occlude NV and Thermals for a few seconds. and all vehicles should get an aditiona baseline smoke ability.

the first thing to work again should be thermals in (2 -3 secs), followed by NV at the (5 - 7sec mark) and later on (15 - 20 seconds) allowing regular naked eye spotting.

this way, vehicles get a proper boost to long range engagement capabilities when facing infantry, while leaving vehicle play virtually unaffected but with a small boost to skill ceiling.

the problem with this, as it is with MANY other ideas and improvements, is that it contradicts the idiotic policy of having one game for both pc and consoles. pc has buttons, we can have multiple utility slots on vehicles... but we wont, because consoles.
  4. Mianera

Oh God, please no. It's the only way to protect yourself against mines. I like being able to spot through terrain and objects, have gotten quite good at it. I always do it in doorways so that I don't blow up to mines.

Removing this function would just add a lot of frustration to the gameplay.
  5. ZDarkShadowsZ

I don't think I've ever had the need to spot mines through walls/terrain. I rarely die to AP mines because I'm always on the look out for them and the only time I die to tank mines is when I gun for a friend in his Harasser and doesn't bother using EOD HUD.

AP mines are much easier to avoid once you begin to notice a pattern in how and where they're placed and besides, it's not as though they're hard to spot, Bouncing Betties especially. AT mines are the same. Once you get used to the pattern of how and where they'll be placed you'll begin to be on the lookout for them.

Overall, once you learn to become more situationally aware to deployables, they're not as scary as they sound. Not to mention that it certainly helps you become more observant in general and that's always a plus. In my personal opinion, having this x-ray vision to spot through walls is like having an accidental dev-created wallhack. There are plenty of other proper, legitimate ways to spot through walls/terrain such as using EOD HUD, motion spotters and detect darts.
  6. GhostAvatar

The issue isn't whether it should be done. The issue is can it be done within a reasonable time frame, for a reasonable development cost, and without breaking the game and introducing a multitude of bugs.
    • Up x 1