[Suggestion] Split Emp grenades into 2 types

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by aynn, Mar 21, 2016.

1. aynn

Basically emp grenades are overpowered as it is an all in one grenade. I propose that it should be split into 2 types.

Type 1: disables hud and shield, infiltrators get this

Type 2: disables things like turrets, ammo packs, regen shields, give it to another class maybe engineer or light assault.

Please support, thanks.
  2. Epicstrat

Infil should get both types. Makes them choose between two specialty grenades and since decoy nades already got removed.
  3. Demigan

The second type is horrendously more niche and less useful than the first type.
    The EMP grenade needs nerfing or some other grenades (like the Flashbang) need buffing, but splitting it into one useless niche weapon and one that has the important shield+HUD removal? Meh.
  4. Taemien

[IMG]

See that Green Crosshair? That's a crosshair overlay from Recursion Stat Tracker. Get you one. Allows you to be able to aim normally when EMP'd and its legit. There's numerous posts from RadarX and other Daybreak policy makers saying its fine. You can use the Recursion Stat Tracker, Memble Overlay, or I think even Teamspeak Overwolf has one. There's also vinyl screen stickers (amazon.com) that can be used on the monitor.. or even a grease pen.

Now stop complaining about EMP. You don't need to. Remember if you're refusing to use an overlay on principle, you're just handicapping yourself.
    • Up x 3
  5. Epicstrat

OP could be a PS4 player since the forums got merged. In which case, get a piece of tape and stick it to the TV I guess...
  6. DarkStarII

The only thing I don't like about EMPs is that they hide the chat. "I was using that!"
    • Up x 3
  7. YoungPedro

how is my infiltrator going to hack spitfire turrets if he cant emp them anymore :eek:
  8. Liewec123

i don't think you should split them, i agree they might do a little too much currently,
    imho rather than destroying ammo packs, mines, proxies, shield bubbles etc, they should just disable them for the duration.
    currently you can throw an emp at the side of a building and kill afew people inside by destroying proxies...
  9. Moz

THIS!

Also as a side note. Some gaming mice allow you to invert your X and Y axis using a hotkey. This can be really usefull for when you get heavily conced. You can hold a button to raise your DPI (countering the slow) and invert your x and y axis (countering the inverted axis).
  10. Mellow Martian

11. XanIves

I usually play without recursion simply because A: It takes about 2 minutes for the darn thing to boot up, which would be fine if i didnt have to B: You have to open recursion before PS2 in order for the overlay to work.

So every time I want to play PS2, I have to sit there for 2 minutes + the minute it takes PS2 to boot up, which is frustrating. If I could boot up recursion halfway through a play session, I would use it a lot more.

INB4 people saying my computer is at fault, recursion and PS2 are both installed to an SSD.
  12. Reclaimer77

Oh for the love of...

Hey why stop there!? Let's split grenades even more!

Frag Grenades should be split like this:

Anti HA grenade
    Anti Infil grenade
    Anti Light Assault grenade
    Anti Max grenade
    • Up x 3
  13. Taemien

My OS, PS2, and Tracker are installed to a 7200 RPM HDD. Dunno what to tell you. But it loads up faster than a browser. Like under a second.

Well you've got other options.
  14. Alkasirn

So this only addresses 1 of the 50 different things EMPs do.

What stat tracker notifies you where you're getting hit from while you're EMP'd? My biggest complaint with the HUD-disabling part of the EMP is it hides the red marks on the side of the screen when you get hit, so the only way to reliably tell where you're getting shot from (if you can tell you're getting shot at all) is to see someone shooting at you.

Though if there's one thing I could change about EMPs it's like what Liewec said; EMPs should disable all deployables rather than explode them. At the very least, a single person throwing a single grenade in a safe location (such as inside a spawn room) should not be able to take out hundreds of nanites worth of defenses (mines) that would force some defenders to retreat to a terminal in order to restock. (Though there's no harm in a grenade that temporarily softens up those defenses, just like how it temporarily softens up health and situational awareness.) Unless there's a stat tracker that solves that, I, for one, will continue to complain about EMPs because they're too useful in too many situations.
  15. Movoza

For the people saying stuff like "get recursion": get the point.

EMP is a liw cost insanely powerful grenade. I can aim without crosshair. My HUD is annoying, just like the static, but both manageable. What IS powerful is that it jas no drop off ocer range, saps all abilities and shields and destroys all small deployables and disables all large deployables. Basically you can reduce any fortified position to a no shield, ability, or deployable zone, making everyone in the blast normal soldiers with only a health bar. Also, no fuse delay, meaning no escape time and accurate and for the Infiltrator predictable grenades.

Compare that to a flash grenade. It can blind you, although leaving the doritos and such in tact. The blinding spot is very small and it tapers off in the distance, making any blinding effects minimal. It is easy to simply walk out if its true effective radius.

Even against a normal grenade they do good. I mean a quickly weakening blast over range and possibly a kill or two if you chuck in a lot, vs the security of no mines, turrets and that you'll face slightly disorientated soldiers without abilities or shields? I know where I put my money. Luckily the EMP is more expensive....... OH WAIT. IT IS JUST 25 NANITES VS 50 FOR NORMAL GRENADES. SPAMMING TIME!!!
  16. Crayv

I claim nearly all credit for nerf EMP threads. Though if I haven't slowed down on playing in the last few months I imagine these would be a lot more common.
  17. Taemien

So what's the other 49?

Do you solo or do you squad?

If you solo, you're probably not on point (kinda silly to be there as a solo player).

As a group oriented players most times you sit outside the point room in another room or in an adjacent building. You collapse on point AFTER the emp is thrown, throwing your own on the attacking defenders.

Instead of asking for a nerf, use different strategies. Adjust your strategies around the tactics and equipment of your enemy. Don't go to a dev asking to adjust items around your outdated strategies.

I main Engineer, I'm FULLY aware of the effects that EMP has on my equipment. I also account for the EMP that is likely to come in many situations. Do I really want to put down Tank mines in a room for MAXes when I know EMP is going to be thrown? No.. I drop them outside windows or off ledges and balconies into likely pathways the enemy will take. Or on stairs my teammates aren't likely to be.

I know where the EMP is going to be thrown and I space my deployables accordingly. I also leave room for my turrets to be re-placed when EMPed. You can deploy a turret that is fresh and not EMPed to be fully usable when the rush comes in.

As an Engineer, I don't want to hear ANY b-tching about EMP. I play the class most affected by it. Heavies and so forth can go EMP shield implant and tank the EMP. My deployables can't. But then again like I said, I place them in areas less likely to be EMP'd. I adapt.

I suggest you all do the same.
    • Up x 1
  18. Movoza

Ah yes a good argument. "I can manage aircraft, as I'll always stay indoors." or "I can manage AV, as I'm never in a vehicle." regardless of what you say, the grenade impacts the playstyle so significantly just by having the possibility to be thrown, incredibly limiting your options in a great many situations without proper justification. I mean come on, you don't nullify the EMP range (15m!), everyone hit will still be sapped from both shields and ability if in the 15m blast. If you have any notion how strong that is, you would be upset. A guaranteed 500 or lower HP soldier without abilities or a possibility of whatever grenade you have which will nearly always be less effective. It is strong. Incredibly strong.

The tactical implications are incredible. You aleeady change tactics, limiting yourself to prevent the highly effective EMP from causing too much damage. But why would I not use EMP, as 25 nanites is the cheapest in the game? Any payed deployable costs more, with the added benefit of no shields or abilities on enemy forces. Throw it against a wall to destroy the well placed and incredibly useful motion spotter (either kind). Also, a great many people do not limit their tactics based on the EMP, meaning your personal experience is moot. Who changes tactics because of flash grenades? Smoke? Concussion? Frag? AV grenades? Sticky? Res or heal? No other grenade is this powerful, making you change playstyles so drastically. This grenade shouldn't be the cheapest and still be so incredibly powerful.

Also, when an EMP hits you take the time to place another turret? For me an EMP signals the arrival of an infiltrator. I would never take the time to place a "new" turret, as it nearly takes longer to put down and spawn than the EMP duration, all the while with the threat of an infiltrator and possibly more near. Your argument seriously makes me doubt you play engi.
  19. Alkasirn

It should have been obvious there's not precisely 50 things it can do, but I will list everything that comes to mind (which is more of a response to your post then how you 'responded' to mine.)

As opposed to other grenades which do one or two things (frag grenades - do significant damage; concussion grenades - drop your sensitivity so it's almost non-existent; etc.) EMPs stand out with their ability to:
    -Disable crosshairs
    -Disable all hitmarkers
    -Disable [whatever you want to call the "receiving damage" markers]
    -Disable radar
    -Hide chat
    -Completely drain all infantry abilities
    -Directly remove up to 50% of an infantry's total health regardless of if they were barely within range or not
    -Always do full damage to small deployables even if the deployable is just barely within range (as opposed to something like a frag grenade which will damage but not destroy a deployable that is almost outside its range)
    -Disable large deployables
    -Fly in and detonate without warning; can only be mitigated by assuming EMPs would be thrown ahead of time (which you even admit later)
    -Have all the above effects through walls (at least up until the last time I used them)

All these abilities are offered by a single grenade that, aside from being really cheap, also has an exceptionally large radius.

So let me get this straight. You adapted to a single weapon in this game by: constantly worrying about that one specific weapon suddenly detonating. Your squad adapted by: using the same exact weapon to counter the weapon being used and running away.

So MAX HMG's will be coming out in the near future. I think it would be perfectly balanced if they did 850 damage per shot and otherwise fired like the current basilisks. Anyone who doesn't like it just needs to adapt. Just be afraid of anywhere a MAX could shoot you. If a 850 damage HMG MAX does appear, just have a teammate grab their own to counter it while everyone else hides on the point. Alternatively, if you have the money for it, you can just maintain an implant that makes only HMGs and nothing else way less scary. It would be fine; everyone would just have to adapt.

Oh wait, that would be silly. A single weapon that can only be countered on a large scale by itself and single-handedly causes an organized group to retreat is too powerful in a game that can have hundreds of players and hundreds of different equipment in one battle.
    • Up x 1
  20. Taemien

If that infil is in the room with me, he didn't throw a EMP grenade, he's in the respawn screen. Stop being a halfbreed and play on something higher than low settings so you can spot and kill them.

To be honest, I'm more worried about Carbines and LMGs than EMP grenades. They cause 100x more deaths for me than EMP grenades.