Maintain K/D Above 1.5 With These Simple Tricks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nejisaurus, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Moz

@OP - KD as a measure of skill is, at best, a flawed concept!

IMHO the problem with KD and PS2 is there are simply to many situations where throwing your body / life at something is the better tactical decision over holding back to pad your KD.

A couple of examples:

Your at a base you have been capping for 3 minutes, in the last 30 seconds you see the now obligatory DIG Gals circling over head... you have a squad and a half and they have 4 gals. The most logical thing to do at this point is to stack "bodies on point". The idea here not to wipe out the entire raiding party and pad ones KD, but to simply keep bodies on the cap so they cant start the flip and stop the timer. You will die, you will be res-naded, you will die again BUT you will capo the base.

Your defending, you simply cant break down the attackers to a point you can reach their Sundy to stop them spawning and lower the pop. What to do? Wait in one spot and farm the attackers? Sure that viable, and can also be pretty fun. But when that fight actually matters and you want it over (say you want to move for another base quick during an alert). Redeploy, gal up and drop on the sundy with explosives, you know you are hopelessly outnumbered, you know you will die BUT so will the enemy spwan!

Tactical advantage > KD
  2. Diggsano

Increase your KD by simply following this add.

Other factions hate him. Click here for the reason.

Get now positive KD in just 2weeks.

Then i had kdr of 0.5 and now just 1.5 click here to know how.

Lonely Soldiers in your area click here to shoot them.

If you know what i mean :D
    • Up x 1
  3. Ximinet

Thanks,i take care those tips.
  4. Nejisaurus

This is far from a shintpost. I listed legitimate tips on being effective as K/D is one of many statistics that measure your ability to play efficiently. Now obviously there are other variables not even measured in-game where the situation calls for throwing bodies on a point to delay enemy capture. But if you're kamikazing or pointlessly painting yourself a huge target (standing in open field while ADS'ing) hoping for the best, you're doing your team absolutely no good except giving the opposing team a huge incentive to stay at the fight.

Attack: K/D ratio matters because once the enemy stops getting kills because of terrible players with horrible situational awareness, your chance of taking the base improves drastically as the enemy leaves looking for another fight.

Defending: I've seen top Outfits on Emerald defend 1-point bases while out-popped 2:1. Average K/D for them? 3.5. All infantry. We were being farmed because of this.

In other words, K/D is an accurate tool in measuring how many certs your feeding the opposing team.
  5. Reclaimer77

Yes I'm being serious. This comes up all the time. I point out how LA is barely played, which speaks to it's viability. Then I get lectured by someone who ISN'T playing LA on how awesome it is.

I mean..hello? Doesn't that say something?
    • Up x 1
  6. Reclaimer77

You're trying to simplify this too much.

Sometimes I''ll throw myself at an enemy Sundie and die 5+ times before I'm able to take it out. Sure I fed the other team some certs. But didn't I make a bigger impact than the idiots just trying to spawncamp the Sundie?? Wasn't it worth it?
  7. Corezer

Aim for the head, most players aren't as good as they say they are, but are better than they think they are, so aim for the head, even if you're not feeling on fire/like you can track it, it'll win you more fights than you think.
  8. Nejisaurus

I'm only stating the reasons K/D does matter, but its often measured or applied wrong. Everyone plays differently with their own objective. But the sour attitude people have such as the "K/D doesn't matter" bandwagon are far from the truth It's one of the best tools in regards of using it retrospectively if you are finding yourself sucking at the game. The misconception with K/D comes with people who compare theirs to spawn-room heros, MAX/Vehicle mains, and MLG level players. It's not a comparison tool on skill versus your peers. It IS a great tool for ones own improvement.

Example:
    In the heat of a battle, you tend to lose track of your deaths. So you push Tab. WOW, I've died 20 times but only managed 1 kill in the span of 30 minutes. I must be doing something wrong! (You're being farmed) Time to look unto thy self and contemplate what I can do BETTER.
    This OBVIOUSLY doesn't apply on singular objectives with high risk that can help turn the tide of battle.

EDIT: Just found this from another thread. This toxic attitude will get you nowhere. It's a shame because there's no possibility of fixing anything with a mindset of this.

9. nehylen

Much truth in Nejisaurus' words. However sometimes enjoyment can get in the way. For instance i can't stick to the same weapon/same gameplay style/same class etc... I like variety.
    But there's an outfitmate of mine with like 20k kills on his NS-11A. He never plays anything else, has 47% headshot ratio with it. He's a true medium assault.

As for those who think KDR doesn't matter, it's both true and false. It's just meaningless without the other stats. But in some ServerSmashes Cobalt has been putting up a "farming squad" (your typical Betelgeuse HA with superb reflexes, 40% HSR and 4+ KDR).
    It's not a squad Cobalt could use to play like the other ones, but if you believed they weren't making a difference where they got deployed, you'd be wrong.
  10. Cyrax Servius

I maintain my sub 2 k/d proudly...
  11. TeknoBug

LA is my least preferred class, however at times it comes in handy- drifter + shotgun in those small corridor rooms.
  12. Reclaimer77

What advantage does that give you though? An HA+Shotgun would be just as, if not more so, effective. While retaining all the advantages over the LA.

Drifting down corridors you trade a horrible COF for slightly more run speed. Very slight.
  13. Eternaloptimist

I think some people find KDR important and others don't - it doesn't really matter which one you value (whatever takes your fancy is fine by me).

Personally, I tally up my kills and deaths over the previous week (when I remember) to see if I've been getting toasted or not. This sometimes surprises me when I see I've done better or worse than I thought I had from memory and sometimes prompts me to change my play style. But that's about it.
  14. Razzyman

Well I was going to reply to this thread, but there's no point now, nailed it right here. I'd say you're more important as that medic on the point with a .2 KDR but kept the team alive. Or the Engineer with the .3 KDR but fed ammo to the heavies on the ridge who repelled that Sundy and armor group. Sure that heavy has a better KDR, but once he died on that point, or fired his 5 rockets he was useless and failed without you.
    • Up x 1
  15. AxiomInsanity87

It all depends on what kind of player someone is.

If they're a kill centric player then I expect to see high kpm and any k/d above a 2.

I consider myself to be a utility type player. I use whatever i deem necessary at any given moment based on a number of factors - http://ps4eu.ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=terranaxiom

I'm also partial to spawn room warrioring and all kinds of A holery now and then. I don't confine myself to any 1 thing.

I don't see any issue with backpedalling up a lattice line, doing some spawn room warrioring against 48-96 terrorist or cultist scum for 15 mins. Target practice on human waste is always good.

Also it's worth noting that my spm was around 440 ish with membership.
  16. Imperialguardsman

If you ain't lowering your K/D by flinging your basilisk flash at enemy tanks... You just ain't playing the game right... in fact smart, healthy, attractive people tend to do that with their flashes.
  17. Littleman

Only good advice in this thread. I surprise myself with how many times I get jumped and I decide, "I'm screwed either way." I also expect that hackusation tell as a result of winning. It's funny... I'm a better shot flustered than calm and prepared. Well, as long as I'm not hitting the floor the same moment I hear the *ping.*

K/D absolutely matters - if you're spending more time staring at a death board than the little kill box that pops up below your cross hair (and please don't stare long) it doesn't matter what you're doing - you're useless compared to the guy that can accomplish that AND toss down ammo boxes or pick up bodies. Winning anything in PS2 involves killing. I can pick up the same dude 100 times or provide him 20 full stocks of ammo - that amounts to jack all if he'd have a 0:100 K/D without me or maintains a wonderfully baffling 5% hit rate. Finally, dead medics rez nobody. Winning an exchange of fire is absolutely #1 on a medic's skill priority list. There will never be a medic that can totally avoid ever coming under fire they can't opt out of.

Planetside 2 is a First Person Shooter first... how many people with sub-1:1 K/D's do you really think stick around when they know they can perform better in other games? Of course someone on this forum is going to speak up they do - forumers are a ridiculously small sampling. I'm not convinced that even 1 in every 50 newbies sticks around because the game just isn't new user friendly to a T (it's bass ackwards and clings to genre defying logic, honestly,) and I'm thinking that's a generous number.

So in the end, base captures or defenses don't mean $#!%, that stuff changes hands everyday and your performance isn't really measured with either. Support is only useful if it actually amounts to something. Kills though? They're tracked, and they do show some personal capability to win when it REALLY counts. And like hinted above, they can also be compared between games. If someone is 3.0 in CoD or BF, but .3 here, they're probably not having fun. Not always the case, but I'm confident that person isn't having so much fun scoring one kill for every three deaths. Especially if those deaths feel cheap, unfair, or even completely unforgivable.
  18. Imp C Bravo

By that logic, everything you ever say about Air and Libs and everything else is meaningless. Way to shoot yourself in the foot. Unless, of course, YOU are magically special and can comment on things like that without any real time spent using. Oh wait -- that's right -- by your logic the Lib sucks as it is used less than most other things in the game. Yet you say the exact opposite in every thread.

Aw, so cute. So sweet. So humorous. Bias and Hypocrisy never fails to amuse me :D I gotta go give this post of yours a like because lolz.
  19. ExiledGirl

???

I have a difficult time understand how you can honestly think that a Light Assault jetpack is superior than other abilities especially a Heavy Assault shield. Take two players that are the same skill level, one HA one LA, the HA will always win because it has more health. Even if the Light Assault runs away and attempts to flank, HA at the same skill level, will still win.
  20. IberianHusky

1. Depends on the base. If you're running solo or with a small group, an even 96v96 fight can be entertaining if it's at a big enough base.
    2. You're wrong. LA is probably one of the best classes for learning to git gud, since it forces you to learn proper positioning and crosshair placement.
    3. Valid.
    4. Mostly true, but some large outposts can be decent to attack, such as Quartz Ridge or Splitpeak.
    5. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! But seriously, you aren't going to be getting many kills when you zerg a base with 2 to 1 overpop, nor are you ever going to improve as a player.
    6. Meh. In my personal opinion running solo forces you to think better, but running with a small squad is also good.
    7. If you're constantly getting killed by players with a 3+ K/D, you should stay and fight. It'll be bad for your K/D, sure, but observe and try to beat them, you WILL pick up some things that will help you improve.

MY PERSONAL ADVICE FOR GETTING GUD:
    Lower your sensitivities, turn mouse acceleration off and make sure raw mouse input is checked. I recommend starting at .22 Hipfire sensitivity, .20 scoped sensitivity, and .18 ADS sensitivity and gradually work your way down. It'll feel like **** at first, but once you get used to it you'll be able to aim much better.

You also need to learn to work on crosshair placement and positioning. This is something that will come naturally as you play more, but the best advice I can give you in regards to this is ALWAYS pay attention to your minimap and ALWAYS check your corners.

Also, if you want to git gud, you should probably stop posting on forumside. Forumside is filled with clowns and baddies. There's a reason the Devs don't pay attention to this place.

TO ALL THE PLAYERS IN THIS THREAD WHO SAY KDR IS WORTHLESS:
    You're also wrong. It's meant to be used as a metric for personal improvement. This game is little more than a glorified TDM at this point. Personal improvement, directives, and doing MLG pointholds (AKA Horde Mode) are the only real metagames. Territory and alerts are pretty much worthless these days.