[Suggestion] 3 Reasonable Lasher Buffs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PasitheeVS, Mar 3, 2016.

1. LodeTria

I use it, but it's mostly a "fun" gun in the way lasher is. It's a really fun gun to use even if it's effectiveness is so-so. If it wasn't a fun gun I would never use the thing. It's a combination of the audio & how it feels to use.

Anyone saying that it can "suppress" is lying through their front teeth though.
  2. Chewy102

The Lasher is NOT a suppression weapon. It is an Area Denial weapon.

LMGs or something like that who put out walls of lead are suppression weapons because they make the enemy not want to leave their cover. Holding the enemy in cover. That is suppression and is used to give your forces time to flank/push.

What the Lasher does is force the enemy out of cover. By using its splash you can reach into blind spots behind hard cover and force the enemy out of it. This is far more useful if you ask me. Forcing the enemy out of cover and into your firing lines or limiting theirs is something not to take lightly and offers so much more teamwork possibilities. But has the large drawback of being sub-par in outright killing, and rightly so.

The devs locked themselves into a corner with the Lasher. They can't dare buff it from nothing to counter its potential for the other factions and if they make a NC/TR/NS version of it then VS is going to cause a **** show.

So I suggest something not infantry based for a AOD weapon. The NS MAX Flamethrower! Remove its DOT effects and make it a AOD weapon that only deals explosive damage. Ruins anything near it, even the MAX itself or its team, but gets trumped from anything with Flak armor and has range only like 30m before the "rounds" expire into nothing.
  3. BaronX13

Perhaps, but my post was less about if the lasher should get buffs, and more about the sour attitude he was putting out. I don't mind if people disagree, that's what the discussion is about. It bothers me when someone is like that though, especially when we all (or at the very least most of us) are here to try and make the game a better experience for all.

Ps. As for changes for the lasher, I tend to agree that perhaps a little buff could be nice as long as it sticks to the suppression niche. To be fair though, it isn't necessarily important either.
  4. Thardus

What it boils down to, is that unless the changes you propose are flat improvements on the Lasher X2, with no trade-offs or tweaks, then you are calling for the watering down of uniqueness in the game. The Lasher X2 is a unique weapon, that excels in unique situations.
    I will vehemently oppose any suggestion that a unique weapon should be made less unique, in favour of making it just like everything else.
  5. Ragnarox

Lasher is bad weapon cause:
    - is bad 1 on 1 (90% fights are that way in ps2)
    - you need to be on higher altitude to use its full potential ( in 90% fights you will be on same level of altitude)
    - rof is bad
    - everyone and their grandmother can see you shooting from miles away thus making you first target to kill
    - 80% fights are in cqc - making you go rage after 4 deaths in a row
    - only good in few situations ( like ZOE, remeber that, right?)

what will make this weapon better:
    - HA ammo - 400 velocity buff no splash dmg
    - increase rof to 250
    - heat mechanism
    - burst 4x,5x mode with cd's
  6. Ragnarox

Problem with vanu weapons that they are put in word with "special situations", they don't stand out in anything except just special situation guns.
  7. LodeTria

I think making forward grip useful would be a good start. Currently there's no reason to take it because the lasher resets it's CoF so fast anyway, it also fights with the useful EX mags and sometimes useful Laser sight.
  8. HAXTIME

By all means. The truly unique elements of Planetside are being severely bullied by NS scrubbity. For every Lasher user out there, you can find about 20-30 scrubs using that NS LMG.
    • Up x 1
  9. MonnyMoony

I think a toggleable charge up mode would fit this weapon well.
  10. Azawarau

Heat lasher sounds horrifying

As an NC main, im in
  11. BaronX13

Then next time say that, I don't mind debate or disagreement. What I do mind, is bad attitudes and disrespecting a whole group of people just because of disagreement.
  12. Ronin Oni

yeaaah...

I'm apt to leave well enough alone myself. It's terrible in 1v1 fights but it's supposed to be.

It's a utility weapon of sorts. It's a great weapon to have in the faction aresenal but it shouldn't be a top pick or it's going to wind up on the nerf chopping block and go the way of PPA.

So seriously, leave Lasher alone. Lets talk about how we can fix PPA so it's not inferior to every other AI secondary option. (I think it should stay with short range focus, leave Kobalt for long range AI work. Perhaps something with dmg falloff, though that's tricky with the required splash mechanic, or even fizzle the round past 150m or something to reign it in. It needs more splash or better accuracy though. It's garbage in current state.)
  13. Metalton

Personally wouldn't mind it having it's Lash ability back (from PS1).. Currently feels more like an upgraded S1 with higher ROF, ammo, and HE ammo. Just feels more like downgraded Lasher then a Lasher X2.

(Original PS1 Lash ability orbs would "lash" anything they passed for a small amount of damage, in addition to it direct, and indirect splash damage)

Granted, don't really know what impact that might have on gameplay.. Probably wouldn't change how it's currently used. But was what made the Lasher the "lasher"
  14. TheFlamingLemon

How about a charge fire mode like the Spiker's that results in a much much larger explosion capable of killing a person within 5ft, but where you can't hold it at full charge, except for maybe a couple seconds or something
  15. SwornJupiter

What if, instead of a MASSIVE cof bloom, the PPA was given a fixed/static CoF?
    It wouldn't be excessively large that it would be useless, but not also wouldn't be pinpoint accurate to facilitate long range spawn camping. Yes, the PPApocalypse should never return, but i think a static CoF would eliminate slightly reduce the RNG elements associated with the weapon.

So it would have greater splash than the Marauder (but offset by a slightly lower fire rate), and greater crowd control than the Canister (but is offset by more shots-to-kill and a lower effective DPS), all while keeping the range limitation of a fixed cof in line with both other ES AI weapons?

Maybe?
  16. Nejisaurus

It's actually an "OK but meh" suppression weapon but as you said its better used as a "denial/move the rabbits outta the hole" weapon.

I recently bought the weapon. Not 5 minutes trying (in a terrible, open map @ nite), I succumbed to the noob mistake of basically saying "HEY! You! HIT ME HIT ME! IM OVER HERE!". At that point dieing 10x I decided the gun was better than me and logged off.
  17. AlterEgo

Please, O Almight Wrel. Hear our prayers in all their humility, and grant us the weapon thine soldiers deserve!
  18. Pikachu

Give it a shoot-to-charge mechanic like aphelion. A charge up weapon that people actually like.
  19. orangejedi829

Just FYI, heat mechanic would actually be a nerf for the Lasher. The Lasher is excels at sustained fire, while the heat mechanic strongly favors short, controlled bursts. With conventional reload, the reloading time is constant, but with heat, every shot taken increases the 'reload' time required. This punishes sustained fire. With conventional reloading, the longer the magazine takes to empty, the more 'efficient' the weapon is at sustained fire, since the ratio of firing time to reloading time increases. With heat, the ratio is always constant (and low); the more time you spend firing, the more time you have to spend not firing.
  20. Azawarau

It can be used as suppression weapon though

Area denial and suppression can be the same thing

Thats like saying shotguns are bad because you have to be face first and other weapons have better TTK and more range

Use the lasher like youre using the lasher and itll work

Youre not a front line soldier anymore

Youre area denial and suppression