Spending certs after 50-60

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by entity009, Feb 18, 2016.

1. entity009

Lately I have hit somewhat of a wall with Planetside 2. I have everything I want. I have great guns (both ADS and CQC) for all my infantry classes and all of the Vehicle weaponry/upgrades for the ones I care to drive. I regularly let certs pile up to 2-3k with no real motivation to spend them.

Part of the problem for me is the wanton waste of many final upgrade points. Jetpack upgrades, for example, go up 5% a rank then at no significant bonus (the normal 5%) the cost for the final rank is 500 certs. No thank you, I am not paying 500 certs for an insignificant upgrade!! Almost all final points are like this! I will keep my 500 certs and run around with my +55% jetpack instead of 60%. There should be some perk to that final point. In this case maybe make that last point 10% for a total of 65%, or hell even a a different color jetpack flame.

My question for you guys is what are you spending certs on after 50-60, other than just blowing certs maxing things for the sheer maxing pleasure?
  2. Neo3602

Right now I'm just saving certs for when the ANT comes out, other than than most of my purchases have been impulse buys.
  3. Neo3602

Right now I'm just saving certs for when the ANT comes out, other than than most of my purchases have been impulse buys.
  4. Abraham with Cheese

I've done this in the past when I had no real aim or goal towards whatever I wanted to cert into. So, barring new weapons or their attachments, I sink my certs into suit and ability upgrades. Ammo pouch, grenade bandoleer, area heal, repair tool, revive tool, etc.
  5. DooDooBreff

get a stealth sundy
    • Up x 1
  6. LodeTria

I hope you have Reload Speed 5 on the vehicle weapons.
    Not having Ammo 10 I can understand though, even though I bought it for many guns.

For spending certs later in the game, I play vehicles with my mates mostly, so I buy most of the vehicle weapons and their respective upgrades, even ammo 10 on pretty much all of them these days. A fully done weapon is normally around 6k certs depending on the upgrades, so there's plenty to spend on.
  7. entity009

hmmm /chinrub

I think a ****** out stealth sundy may just be a great idea. Thank you for the suggestion.

As far as maxing vehicle weapons goes its an option but aside from the Lightning and Mag I do not mess with the vehicles much and I have those ranked up to the point were the cert cost seems to far out weight the faction of a second gains they provide. I think one of them was .08 seconds...that is 8 hundredths of a second...

As far as ammo 10 goes its flat out not worth it to go past 8 or 9, the gain is no larger than previous lvls and the cost is insane. This is what I am talking about above when I am talking about massive costs for inferior gains. Its like its there just to waste your certs. I am not spending 1k+ certs for 2 more rounds :-|

edit. It is actually .06!!! with five ranks that would mean you spend 1000s of certs for a .3 second increase in reload time. That is 3/10ths of a second and is hardly worth the cost, it is arguably beyond even the point of human perception. It is especially insane when you consider that if you stop at rank 4 you end up with .26 overall boost in speed for almost half the overall cost of the final useless point. Maybe I am reading it wrong and they mean .06 to mean 6% then it would be worthwhile with a 30% reload spead overall. The game however does often say 6% or 8% here and there. In this instance it clearly says .06 seconds...
  8. LodeTria

I guess you've never been in a take battle where you win but on fire, and you felt the blow coming that would have killed you otherwise.

You can also totally feel the difference between a no-reload speed saron and a full reload speed saron. Just go to VR and see the difference. It also depends on a gun basis, on some guns it's half a second and some it's 1 second. In some vehicle weapon cases, it's not as if there is anything else to put into the slot of the weapon anyway.
  9. entity009

We are talking about 6 HUNDREDTHS of a second between rank 4 and 5 here....

I know you cant put anything else in the slot. The point isn't that I can not spend the certs its that im not buying useless upgrades for thousands of certs just to piss away the points.
  10. Okaydan

I feel your pain man. 2250 certs for 0.5 sec reload speed... Seems like a steep investment, but you just gotta say f*ck it and buy it. Then regret after you don't use said investment... regrind all certs again over time. Repeat process.
    I invested over 3k certs in the valkyrie on impulse... Return value: 158 certs :D

Or like I did: intent to buy a Decimator and then accidentally buy an Annihilator. BOOM 1000 certs gone :(
  11. sustainedfire

That is just how it goes.

I have beat the game as TR.

BR100, almost all weapons unlocked (certainly all the worthwhile and almost worthwhile guns), my vehicles are maxed out.

Eventually you just upgrade to spend certs. The 1000 cert, .1 additional vehicle reload speed is probably the hardest purchase to justify.

But at that point, that's all you have left to upgrade, so F it and just spend the certs.
  12. entity009

This just illustrates my point. By 50-60 you have gotten just about anything meaningful. 60-120 seems to be about spending points on expensive upgrades for minor return or buying **** just to buy it. I really enjoyed getting to 50 and 60 on all 3 empires but beyond that I feel no motivation to progress, other than just playing the game.

What would make all the difference would be if there was some perk to maxing skills out. It could simply be a cosmetic effect like a shimmering shield when maxed or a double bonus on the last point to justify the investment.

Stuff like:
    Max medical applicator rank also adds bonus to revive speed
    Maxed mesh generator adds a special visual effect
    Maxed jump jets get a 10% capacity boost
    Final points into % based skills give a double bonus (could rework the per rank value to end at the same total)
    Maxed out afterburners get a 10% initial acceleration boost

Basically anything to justify the insane cost (and low return) of those final ranks.
  13. Neo3602

There are somethings like that such as the medical applicator revives people at full health which is pretty huge considering you can just revive some on and walk away with out having to worry about topping out their health after they get up.
    Also at max rank for the amm opacks you can throw down 2 instead of one and at max rank the repair tool can defuse enemy explosives.
  14. Pat22

I'm at BR 102, bought many of my weapons with SC, and still find things to spend certs on. After getting all you want, you eventually get bored of it, and that's when you want to try something new. A new weapon, a new loadout, a new vehicle configuration. Suddenly, those 3-4k certs sitting around are all invested into a new playstyle.

I find it very unlikely that you're actually, at BR 50-60, having trouble finding something to cert into. Perhaps the problem is not a "lack" of options to spend certs on, but rather your own desire to try new things, or fully invest into things.
  15. entity009

16. entity009

By "fully invest" if you mean paying 500 points for an additional 5% jetpack fuel or 1000 for 2 more rounds of ammo, then hell yeah its exactly what i mean.

I have all that I feel is worth while for me to buy and have no desire to spend points on ******** point sinks that have little effect.
  17. CovertYank

[IMG]
  18. FieldMarshall

A lot of the expensive last certs looks like they are not worth it for the cost at first glance.
    I mean, do you really need/want 0.1 faster reload speed on your lightning for 1000certs?
    Sounds useless.

Until you consider how it adds up over time, over multiple reloads. After just 10 shots you have saved 1 second.
    Which can be a big deal if you are shooting at an AMS being repaired.

Also, last ranks of things like ammopack, sensor darts, spotters etc. override the lower rank ones in the same area.
    So if you throw down a rank 3 spotter next to a rank 4 spotter. You wont get xp. Only the guy with the rank 4 spotter would get xp.
  19. Slandebande

IIRC I think the reason the last upgrades are the way they are, is so that older players don't have too much of an advantage over newer players. The 1000 certs might not mean TOO much to someone who practically has everything they want, but to someone still needing many other things, it is a steep purchase.
  20. Moz

Sooooo, for some reason i cant see your toon on the players site OP. I was going to look what you had certed and suggest from there. Maybe just me failing... happens often!

IMHO there are certain upgrades that are great certs dumps...

Vehicle clip size / reload speed. Clip Size gives you sustained fire, this can be great on things like Fury and Basalisk. Reload speed on weapons is an obvious upgrade, straight DPS increase on whatever gun you apply it. These both get expensive as you get to the higher levels but give you a nice little edge (or just put you on a level playing field)!
    Work on lots of differing Sundys: GSD with mine guard, stealth maxed, deploy shield, a battle bus setup with composite armour. There are lots of weapons here to sink your certs into as well. Maybe 2x fury, 2x kobalt, 2x walker, thats 3 k certs just for the zoom!
    Skyguard with radar.
    All in all, pick you most used vehicle or the one you like the idea of best and MAX it! The Sundy is a great place to start as it is so versatile!
    Oh nearly forgot.... HE for your lightening.... a farmers paradise!

Infantry classes - Obvious ones are obvious, you should have maxed you repair tool and medic gun by now! The AoE heal and shield bubble are both great additions to the medic and should be maxed.
    Grenade Bando on every class.
    Engineer utility pouch for those extra booms.
    MAX suits and abilities can be great dumps.
    Infiltrator maxing both darts and dildar plus at least 2 suits (huntrer + stalker).
    Heavy, lots of lovely launcher options are always good.

Just a few expensive things i personally find great!

EDIT: Also, i would get out of the "im not paying 1k certs for the last 5%" idea, or your going to get a lot of certs you cant spend!