A2AM are OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by fart11eleven, Jan 28, 2016.

1. LodeTria

I don't see what that's got to do with how you use the weapon system.
  2. Reclaimer77

It's proof the the nosegun is the PREMIERE A2A weapon in this game.
  3. Jake the Dog

So you're telling me that you brought Hornets/lolpods to a dog-fight with a guy with Missiles? And you wonder why you lost? If you're more skilled than said individual bring them yourself and you should have no problem killing him.

I understand the whole, A2A OP. Even had a discussion with a guy ingame with it. But even so my conclusion remains the same: better equipment will be roughly equal to skill. Skill with better equipment is unstoppable. If skill brings ppa and lolpods to a fight with an unskilled player who has an A2A loadout. Its probably in favor of the guy who isn't bringing farming equipment.
  4. SW0V

I understand now. You're of the opinion that nosegun + AB is superior to CQC nosegun + A2A locks and THAT's why it's the more popular loadout. I think that in terms of the general MMO environment of the game, default nosegun + AB is probably the best all-round option. Just like all other default loadout in the game, it's the loadout that has the most general applications but isn't the superior loadout for anything.

But, lets look at the other facets of the game.

Tanking:

A HEAT tank on paper will always lose to an AP tank. BUT, the AP tank requires the same level of accuracy as the HEAT tanker. The rounds aren't faster (anymore) nor are they bigger in any way which means a more accurate HEAT tanker has at least a chance against an AP tanker.

Infantry:

A default weapon in most cases is good at medium ranges but has drawbacks in CQC and long ranges versus other dedicated weapons. However, infantry gameplay is far more diverse in that there is plenty of cover to use and positioning often times is far more important than your weapon.

Compare these XvX or YvY scenarios with the Air v Air scenario and you see why people are rolling their eyes.

Is it because the A2A missiles don't trade generality for specificity? No. It's because they require significantly less skill to use. The reticule is humongous for an experienced pilot. This would be like giving AP tank shells a 10-15m coyote mechanic vs ground vehicles.
  5. Iridar51

And there's a chance against tomcats. I'm a pretty bad pilot, but I manage to not crash into the ground most of the time, so not a total newbie. I own tomcats and use them sometimes. In a 1v1 A2A battle, I get my *** whupped more often than not by people that actually know how to fly, even if they have lolpods or whatnot. A2A rockets are not a free win.

Tomcats are perfect for stealing someone else's kill, though, or finishing a fleeing enemy.

But if the enemy pilot starts doing their reverse maneuver mumbo jumbo and actually fights, tomcats just won't work, at least not as well.

So there's definetely a chance to fight back and win there.

And comparing HEAT vs AP is not entirely correct here, because HEAT is basically the same as AP, but requires 1 more shot, so it's basically would be like comparing default nosegun vs another nosegun that takes slightly longer to kill.

And it's not like nosegun + afterburners are some sort of versatile loadout, it's still an A2A loadout, which I guess is where the problem lies.

A2A missiles trade defense for offence. You can't use missiles defensively, you can run away on afterburners. Maybe not from A2A missiles, though, but you can outrun ground lockons or react to flak better, while tomcats would be basically dead weight.

I can feel the pain, it sucks to die to something that appears to take no skill to use. But that's a bit different topic to if tomcats are actually OP or not.

It's the same as "C4 OP" or "shotguns OP" arguments. While I don't think any of that is OP per se, it does create a negative experience on the receiving end, and should be adjusted because of that.

So we have 2 A2A loadouts, one appears to be better, another is easier to use.

I think it's just one of those "too much choice" situations. What if all ESFs were forced to take a secondary weapon? And AB tanks were removed, or moved to defense slot or something.
  6. SW0V

Okay, and you're entitled to your opinion with your experience. But, I've auraxed every weapon available on my mosquito. I'm one of the better pilots on the Briggs server. You can look up my stats on the various ESF weapons on dasanfall.com by just clicking on the TR portion of my signature. Then maybe you'll get a bit of perspective on their current state.
  7. Chibknot

Well, I'm a user of lock on, I have it auraxied.
    Why I use lock on so hard?

1st: Because I like to do A2G gameplay (with my airhammer).
    2nd: Because I don't like to do Hover Duels. Simply like that.

Hover duels is ONE mode of do A2A game, but isn't the ONLY one.
    Do you want to nerf lock on?
    Do it.
    Do you want to remove lock on?
    Do it.
    Do what your want.
    But give me another way to play A2A, because Hover Duels should not be the only one.

Why am I saying this? Because I want the devs see people like me, people who don't think fun to play this game like the "ace pillots" do.

I'm sorry for any english mistakes, I'm not a native speaker of english.
  8. Ronin Oni

No it's not.

TomCat users typically still finish targets with nosegun even if they do 80% of the damage with missiles (I usually do 40% damage from 1 missile, unless they run in which case I'll fire off a second lock while reloading)
  9. fart11eleven

Ok, let us see what we got from this thread: nothing.

Just digging this up to come across with a message. I made some observations regarding the server cultures recently. I am not calling any names or whatever and try to flame the one server over the other. But yeah, here comes the thing: there was one guy on a server using the a2am as a prefered weapon. Imo a real ugly kind of character. I know he made a break from PS2, and i had about 2 months of good time on that server without him and that was the 2 months i started my flying career. However, since the moment he came back to PS2, it made a huge impact on the way the people behaved on this server (he is not a too bad player, just uses this weapon all the time). In short: that one server i am talking about, since his comeback, is now polluted with a2a lockers and it makes me sick how the meta game changes just because of this waeapon. I am glad that i still have a chance to switch servers to keep my sanity, as i am having quite some fun with airplay except this weapon. It is for the weak minded, stupid, dishonered people. And there you go: i close this thread imaginally from here on. This weapon is a total disgrace for PS2 standards.
  10. CNR4806

LMAO.

I can't believe my eyes. Somebody is spewing all that e-bushido non-sense with a straight face. Can anyone else hold your laughter? Because I can't.
    • Up x 4
  11. BakaRaymoo

Wow. So everything is working as intended? Does your thesis have cake, cause if not, im leaving
  12. Movoza

So an A2A loadout shouldn't always win from a speed build? I think if you kit an A2A ESF and the other has only a nose cannon and an afterburner, you should win the fight.
  13. cobaltlightning

I do believe I posted elsewhere in the past that A2AM are counters to enemy Aircraft, wheras it makes them weaker against ground AA and overall general dog-fighting. Ground AA can be nullified by flying out of range, of course, but that doesn't stop flak.

To counter this counter, run Flares or Stealth. Both greatly reduce the effectiveness of said missile, which need I remind that it's best used as a long-range opener. If you get locked on my A2A, that means they're to engage you and only you, because they gotta keep their aim on you to keep the lock (barring coyotes, but they are meh at best anyway.)
  14. GhostAvatar

Completely flawed logic, the reason they win is because they have got to A2A weapons and increasing there damage output. Same would also happen with Coyotes.
  15. Shiaari

Your argument is basically that an air to air loadout is overpowered because it's good at being air to air.

That doesn't make sense. Of course the pilot loaded to kill aircraft specifically is going to be better at killing other aircraft.
  16. Pirbi

The ESF trying to obtain a lock should show on the minimap instead of getting to stay off it for a free hit.
  17. Diilicious

i tried to do this bushido stuff, using only nosegun, problem is everyone else that knows how to fly has been using their nose gun a substantial amount longer than I have, and also knows how to fly and keep the enemy in sight etc, most of the time i find im just floundering all over the place.

and the rest of the time i get A2AM'd down by groups of hostile scythe or mossies... so im probably going to end up with them just to get a single kill before going down.... hopefully.
  18. Mxiter

Does HE tankers complain to be destroyed by AP opponents?
  19. Ronin Oni

No, just C4
  20. Foxirus

I think this is simply the issue that both high level players refuse to use flares. A2AM's are fine. You guys just won't pull flares because you can't be bothered to drop that OP firesuppression for 5 damn minutes..
    • Up x 1