Romanian Flag

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Imraeath, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Imraeath

So I made ticket asking about this at some point and got a vague response about getting the rights for using the flag. But I know for a fact that it is used in many other games and really wish I could wear my countries flag as proudly as anyone else.
    I wish I knew more about the problem, and if there is anything I could do to help bring the Romanian flag to PlanetSide2.
  2. Diilicious

i really dont get why people feel the need to put their countries flag on their ingame avatar or vehicles. its tacky as hell.
    • Up x 3
  3. Okjoek

In the TR We're united and we don't need to worry about nationalistic bickering back home =)
  4. Reclaimer77

In a game with the Gay Pride rainbow flag and silly bright pink camouflage for infantry and vehicles?

Brother, flags of different nations are the least of our problems!
    • Up x 1
  5. Goretzu

Supposedly they had all the flags that didn't have copyright or other useage issues already in-game.

Having said that I'm pretty sure they did overlook some flags which then appeared, so I dunno it may well be worth raising it on reddit or twitter (you're much more likely to get Dev attention there).
  6. eldarfalcongravtank

just use the red soviet hammer and sickle decal. i think it's called crimson october or something

best "flag" ingame
  7. Shiaari

You don't need the "rights" to fly the flag of any nation-state. All national flags exist in the public domain within the confines of the United States, and in the United States, defacing or altering our own flag--and by extension the flag of any nation on the planet--is considered protected speech per Texas v. Johnson (1989).

Whoever told you that fed you a line of bullsh*t.

There is no copyright or trademark law that applies to any flag of any country. Period, except as enforced by those specific countries within the confines of their own borders. But, here in the USA... fly what you want when you want.

There's an ulterior motive behind that BS they told you. We need to figure out what it is.
  8. Ronin Oni

I think rainbow flags is less gay that putting your stupid country flag on your ingame ****.

Drop your stupid *** national pride, I can't stand that crap.

We need to stop looking at each other as different nationalities if we're ever going to achieve world peace
  9. Ronin Oni

First off, this in an international game, so subject to international laws, and yes, countries absolutely have a right to restrict monetization or even free use of their flags in commercial products.

If another product was able to use the flag then they got permission for it.
    • Up x 1
  10. Turekson

In European countries the use of the country's flag is usually governed by ministry of internal (affairs) or similar instance. Anyone wishing to use the flag commercially in their products, should at least in theory ask for a permission to do so. Any offensive or demeaning use of the flag is naturally banned by law, also any use of the flag that is considered not to be suitable to the nations image is prohibited. This can include for example computer games, movies or other media etc. that are seen as aggressive, violent or otherwise inappropriate and as such not suitable to be given permission to use the nations flag. I don't think these rules are always observed neither enforced on low tier products and such but big companies generally play it safe and have lawyers to look out for themselves for these kind of things.

With any game featuring other nations flags but not yours, it could be either that permission was asked by the makers of the game but not granted for some reason, or that further inquiries were made on the intended use and it was thought to be too much work, or even that permission was asked and granted but then someone decided to file a complaint and it was revoked. I guess it could also simply be that the country in question is thought to have a too small a playerbase and no effort is made at all.
  11. Taemien

The issue is likely one of international copyright or some other restrictive issue. I know other games have country flags in them. But most probably don't sell the flags ingame, you can simply use them.

Sometimes its something crazy such as not being able to display the flag being desecrated in anyway. For example putting the flag on a Sunderer which could be C4'd could be contrued as desecration. Local laws are tricky sometimes.

As for what you can do. That's simple.. but tough. You could write/call your representative in your government and try to get the law changed or amended. Personally I would recommend doing this, no matter how insignificant it seems. You should be proud of your heritage, culture, and nationality. And you ought to have the right to display such.

I served in my nation's military and have shed sweat, tears, and also blood in service. My country has the right to free speech and I will be ****** damned if someone is going to tell me I shouldn't have pride, nor my people to have pride in what I have achieved, they have achieved, and more importantly those who came before me have achieved.

I love the fact that there is a United States, a Germany, a United Kingdom, a Japan, a Italy, a Egypt, and so forth. Different nationalities, cultures, and heritages allow us to see things differently, do things differently, and ultimately better ourselves. I love the different cultures and heritages. We can only have that through different people's and nationalities.

Does it mean war on occasion? Sure. But we're responsible for reigning in our cultures, or pushing back the more oppressive ones. But you know what? Having adversity to ensure diversity is worth sacrificing world peace over.

Everyone should be proud of where they came from, where they are, and where they are going. Political correctness is an illusion. Personal responsibility is a reality.
    • Up x 1
  12. Reclaimer77

First off, wow, why so angry over this?

Secondly there is absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in ones heritage or country. Moving to a Communist utopia of a one-world Government wouldn't usher in "world peace".
    • Up x 2
  13. Taemien

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  14. Pelojian

i would imagine most flags would be protected from being displayed in a desecrated or damaged manner. some will require an application for commercial use.(this is true of the Australian flag).

the biggest issue for DBG is working out the legal details of each country to determine whether they can use the flags or not.
  15. Taemien

You're pretty spot on.

The way I see it, everyone should be able to use their flag as they see fit. We are talking about a set of threads or pixels. If someone misuses it.. well let them. A friend of mine said it best, "Freedom of Speech gives people the freedom to make fools of themselves."

But at least they have that right. That's what counts.
  16. Goretzu

Yeah in some cases it has been to do with other issues, that have then moved into a wider context, hence stuff like Hidden and Dangerous going to a flagless edition for its gold version release (but the developer putting out a patch to put the flags back in if the user wished to).

In others it is just countries being weird or over-protective, or game companies just being "sensible" (in monetary terms) and not bothering if there "could be" legal issues.
  17. Shiaari

No, the game servers are housed here in the United States, and subject exclusively to American laws. If the game violates the laws of any other nation they are free to ban it, as happens quite often.

Laws regulating the use national flags are restricted only to within their own borders. They cannot--under any circumstance--make prosecution of their own law outside their own territorial jurisdiction, unless they have a treaty in good standing with individual nations notwithstanding.

In the United States, no national flag enjoys such protection, not even our own flag.

You do not need permission from anyone to fly the flag of any nation here, where PlanetSide 2 physically resides. If Romania has a problem with that they are welcome to sue in American Federal court, where I assure they will lose.

So, if he wants to have a Romanian flag on his vehicle he is entitled to do that. That's a protection of individual liberty that everyone playing this game indirectly enjoys, without regard for where they live. Now, if DBG has some other reason then they enjoy the right to make rules for their own game, but that's something they arbitrarily decide with no bearing on having the rights to a national flag.

There is therefore an ulterior motive in play.
    • Up x 1
  18. AxiomInsanity87

Yes!
  19. AxiomInsanity87

Yeah it ruins the immersion I find.
  20. Ronin Oni

The game ALSO has servers in Europe & Australia, and the same game client is also subleased to China and Russia IIRC...

so NO... the game is subject to International laws.

There is no ulterior friggin motive.

Go put your tinfoil hat away
    • Up x 1