The Answer to skill gaps is segregation.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CapEnTrade, Feb 7, 2016.

1. CapEnTrade

There are a lot of really good players, these players are too good for the rest of the players. The solution is to create an elite-continent which only BR 90+ can visit and make it take a 5 minute wait for these high BR players to go to any other Continent.
  2. FateJH

And what about those for whom high BR is a display of veteran status as opposed to skill?
  3. GhostAvatar

Yep, I have seen many BR100's with sub 0.5 KDR. BR =/= skill.
    • Up x 3
  4. AlterEgo

Yeah!

DISCRIM... err, I mean, SEGREGATION.
  5. Thardus

Ah, yes, disperse the players, just what this game needs.
    • Up x 2
  6. SwornJupiter

This is what Koltyr is for - but, the other way round
    • Up x 1
  7. Cyropaedia

You can get high BR fairly quickly with All Access/Premium membership. Add to that 6 month boost. Compound that with Vehicle-type farming. I think you can reach BR 100 within 2-3 months if you play regularly.
  8. Taemien

Players aren't nearly as good as their stats appear to be.

For example, those with high infantry only KDRs are seldom working towards objectives, problem solving*, or winning alerts and VPs. If I had to cherry pick people for a platoon, I'd pick those between .9 and 1.75 KDRs over those with higher than 2.75.

Higher SPMs aren't necessarily indicators of great play either.

So how do we separate people out based on how I play? Battle Rank? What if I roll a VS? Segregating won't ever work. Nor should it. Segregating doesn't help new or not so good players. It patronizes them but doesn't help them.

The only way for a noob or newbie to get better is to play against people better than they are. Keeping everyone in the same pool is the best way to do this.
    • Up x 1
  9. Demigan

There isn't that big a gap during infantry fights, or most tank fights. The "problem" happens when you take to the air, where bugs in the game were allowed to persist and become the top maneuvers for the game, while any other maneuver is either bad or worse. This means that only a specific group of people that spend hours upon hours training these two specific moves win in air combat, which means that all players who haven't and want to do things like "have fun while playing" will leave the air-game.

If you want to repopulate the air-game and decrease the problem by the skill gap, you need to either remove the bugs (which I'm against, these things have been there too long and it would probably make the players using it leave), or you need to improve the other maneuvers aircraft can pull off to be useful.
    Currently if an aircraft tries a dodging maneuver in any direction, your maneuver is so slow that your enemy can always keep track of you unless he's 1m behind you. Since they can "shortcut" towards your new position all you'll have accomplished is that you showed your bigger top/bottom hitbox for a moment and your enemy just got closer to you for a better shot.
    If you improved these maneuvers it would do three things:
    1. Aircraft would be able to dodge the lock of A2A missiles. Since this is a complaint of many, many people (who yet refuse to use flares) it would instantly help in the popularity of aircraft and decrease the A2A missiles effectiveness
    2. Players would be able to use intuitive maneuvers to dodge and fight, rather than spend the first X hours of their gameplay figuring out that doing a weave is better than trying to actually dodge.
    3. There would be a larger array of top maneuvers to pick from and master. Just like infantry and tanks can be the top in different strategies.
    As a bonus, the different airframes would suddenly have more meaning, rather than "Racer frame for small-fight infantry murder and hover for the rest"

I've already posted idea's on how to exactly do this, but the usual character assassination happens with people screaming "you bad aircraft player" and "you want to destroy aircraft play" rather than actually replying to the idea and giving any reasons as to why it would be good or bad.
  10. Rentago

I know many games have tried segregating the community before, many many times.

Some set it up with a "true skill™" rating system and others have gone and made their own system, at the end of the day it killed population as welll as segregated people so poorly that it was just extremes of either PURE **** (like you could sit still and they couldn't land a direct hit on you) playing amongst eachother in empty wastelands with every spectrum of "ok" to pure godlike being crammed as elite by the rating system.

When some games made a 3 Tier rating system instead of 2 Tier, you ended up having the really low end "ok" filling the middle, and anyone who still couldn't compete with MLG godlike players still being miserable.

The point is, segregation has only removed the bottom of the food chain for players each time. Eventually making people who aren't MLG having no one to fight but the miserable super MLG they can't compete with.

Having this mixed pot currently allows even bad players to still get some good feelings about not always getting stomped because they can mingle with good and bad players.

Instead if we segregate this, we'll just have everyone across all types being miserable to the point that the MLG players will purposely do bad to be paired up with terrible players on purpose so that they can stomp them.

Segregation never works in a game like this.

The few times where segregation has worked is games where the multiplayer is designed around the idea that higher level players are stronger than previous and thus need to compete within their own level.
  11. Gustavo M

They should create tank-only continents where tanks costs half as they used to in other continents. And when the player runs out of nanites, he is kicked off the continent because nanites.