Why Are You A Patriot?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CovertYank, Feb 2, 2016.

1. SpartanPsycho

I'm TR because Dakka and unity.

I'm NC because rebellion and freedom.

I'm VS because technology and lasers.
    • Up x 1
  2. Savadrin

I mean, it's tough to replace the feeling of running a dual mutilator x-mag MAX on point and being able to just lock down a stairwell for like...ever.
  3. SwornJupiter

Touch choice between TR and VS for me.
    In the (unofficial) lore, when the TR first set out for their expedition through the wormhole, Earth was still undergoing a Golden Age, and it seems like they are the only ones that really want to reconnect to Earth. Their methods are borderline tyrannical but are a necessary evil. Also Dakka dakka dakka is good for clientside2...

VS want to evolve humanity, which is quite noble and TECHNOLOGY EQUALS MIGHT HUR DUR. Spandex and lasers are.. do i really need to expand on this?

NC, on the other hand, are a bunch of dirty rebel scum. They have an ideology that parallels modern day ISIS (minus the religious bits ofc) where a large armed mob is controlled by select few individuals at the top of their hierarchy. NC's lore is the only one that is hardest for me to understand, and seems the most, well... stupid.
  4. Rhello

I was bored a few years ago, a friend told me that I should try planetside 2. He was TR. TR was so red, so strong, it had so much dakka, even their tanks had that glorious dakka. The first weapon I tried was that TRAC5, and I was stunned by how many bullets I could put down a few meters away. Even the pistol had so much dakka I couldn't handle it at start. Then, I saw how manly the republic was, and how corrupted & sectarist the other two factions were. TR is love. TR is life.
  5. SpartanPsycho

Yeah :D

Note: hey you're in my TR outfit! :D
    • Up x 1
  6. MonnyMoony

I'm not a patriot,

I signed up to Vanu because.......hover tanks and pew pew lasers

I stick with them because it's taken me around 4 years to get to mid 80's BR and amass a half decent arsenal - and I don't have the time or the inclination to start all over again with one of the other factions.

If I could cash in my VS character, get a refund on all the certs and spend all them on another faction - I might consider switching - but that just ain't going to happen
  7. RainbowDash9

speaking of which, id just be happy to spend a set amount of daybreak to "sell" a weapon you dont use and get the full cert amount back of the weapon and any attachments
  8. AlterEgo

VS. When I play as VS, I feel a lot more focused. Also, the thought of plasma makes me happy, and just the potential that VS weapons can achieve really fascinates me.
  9. Haquim

The reason why I have only one character? Time is a limited resource. I just don't have the time to play everything.

The reason why I chose TR is twofold.
    First the lore, which I read up before I joined the beta.
    There was an expedition through a wormhole and nobody knew what was behind it, so the leadership was kinda military out of pure necessity - and then it went down like this.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    TR: HOLY ****, we haven't found a habitable planet yet and there are already armed insurgents on the loose. And now somebody assassinated Connery along with every other inhabitant of that ship. If it goes on like this we won't even get to find, never mind colinize, a new earth. We must enact emergency laws and get this situation under control.
    Later on Auraxis: The terrorrists have finally revealed themselves and started a freaking war. Our colony is barely self-sustaining and they demand "freedom" as if we had the resources to NOT work our ***** off all the time... was that a ******* NUKE??? Where the hell did they get a nuke from??

NC: Apparently an armed assault on the bridge of a military vessel didn't get the message accross. Luckily Connery had an accident when disembarking from the Discovery-7... but his successor is even worse. Nothing we can do while we are in those tinboxes in outer space though.
    Later on Auraxis: Alright, we built a few cities and started agriculture and industry. I guess now we can relax and do what we want.
    What? Curfew? I'm not allowed to get a gun? Security risks? I'll show you a damned security risk you ******* fascist!!

VS: Well that artifact sure is fascinating..... why is it so loud outside?
    Later on Auraxis: Those Vanu are so fascinating. They are thousands of years ahead of our current technology, the things we could learn from them. And those moronic iconoclasts start a petty war instead of advancing mankind with the knowledge the Vanu have left behind. This is an unacceptable waste of time, we will stop this war ourselves. They will come to worship the glory and wisdom of Vanu alongside us or they will perish.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    So of course I went with TR.
    Trying to restore order and to survive on a foreign planet simply sounded the most reasonable, since NC and VS seem to ignore that there is no place to flee to if things go pear-shaped. Like the war making Auraxis uninhabitable for example.
    NC simply seem to be egocentric douchebags that care for nobody else, and are apparently willing to risk the survival of mankind on Auraxis for their freedoms and paychecks.
    And VS..... seem ********. Scientists that start a religious cult because they can't understand technology? They are propably worshipping plasma nosehair trimmers. Or turning them into weapons.

Second the faction traits, which I also read up beforehand.
    I imagined them to be a lot more pronounced though.
    TR: High-speed, high-accuracy, high-ROF, mass produced
    NC: High damage, low ROF, crude but stable
    VS: High accuracy, no drop, high damage decrease over range, futuristic armaments with unique mechanics.

Shooting some 2000 ROF 50 dmg gun sounded more awesome than the 400 ROF, 300 dmg gun with the high recoil. And more reliable than the VS traits.
  10. FieldMarshall

I used to be like that in PS1 (TR "Patriot"), but figured out i was missing out on most of the content by only playing 1 faction.
    Now i play all three changing between them as i get bored, and im loving it.

In addition to +66% more diverse weapns and vehicles, you also get to fight in the currently best possible fight.
    • Up x 1
  11. Savadrin

Nice, hit me up when you're on. You can hop in the Vulcan harasser and we can explode many times :D
  12. JudgeNu

It is who I am.
    I am not a turncoat.
    Integrity.
    Honor.
    Through the good and the bad.

NC description fit my personality more than the other two.
    I have 3 other NC toons and I have one TR when I feel like punishing NC on slow pop boring days. (it actually helps me find out who is who on NC. Never been in an outfit and ignore squad invites.

On a side note: I mainly play against VS. I prefer to. When I play TR against NC something seems off.

I will never make a VS.
    I would much rather shoot at them than with them.
  13. FunBotan

Despite all my convictions of real-life patriotism, here i somehow came to be a VS patriot. Because of how they set their priorities. Because of how they are able to look forward instead of sticking to the past (TR) or not giving a **** about that at all (NC). I actually propose the same ideas IRL.
    As for the downside - "religious indoctornation", i have a simple counter-argument. Religion is defined as believing in claims that have no evidence to back them up. The excistence of Vanu has tons and tons of evidence. Period.
    The only thing that disturbes me is... Where are the Vanu now? What made them leave Auraxis with all their stuff behind?
  14. CovertYank

I don't think I can main NC anymore. I need the Dakka Dakka back...
    • Up x 1
  15. Savadrin

[IMG]
  16. CovertYank

I myself tend to do horribly when playing on my VS alt, haven't even gotten him to rank 16 yet. It just seems like their weapons are a bit wonky to me. They shoot weird, and I always feel like I'm producing **** damage across the board. All that's weird, considering I tend to get crushed from time to time when fighting the VS.

And I can confirm, fighting with the TR is a lot more fun than fighting against them. LITERALLY EVERYONE TAKES THE TIME TO SAY THANK YOU WHEN I REVIVE THEM. I feel like an appreciated Medic. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  17. IberianHusky

I used to main TR because I liked the aesthetics and because I like to play for the underdog faction. (Mattherson TR was in a pretty ****** spot at the time I joined.) Then when I got to BR 100 I got bored with TR and switched factions.

Now I main NC for the weapons. I may or may not switch factions again once I get to BR 100 on NC. Other than maybe the Betelgeuse, there's not really anything on VS that would warrant me switching factions for. NC just has so much variety, so it's hard to get bored.
  18. JudgeNu

I hate to say this, but I believe they added that feature a year or so ago.
    It is an automated "thanks"
    SOE thanks you for reviving them. lol.
  19. RainbowDash9

quit trying to sully TR's name, they never added that lol. WE ARE THE GOOD GUYS GIVE US COOKIES!!!
  20. JudgeNu

lol.
    Im serious though.