Vehicle Hacking Potentially a Go ( In the future )

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Diggsano

I hope the Infiltrator makes a new sound while hacking enemy Vehicles[IMG]

I hope you like the pic i made^^
    • Up x 1
  2. Goretzu

• Vehicles shouldn't be hackable with a person in them (as it was in PS1 orginally, before the advanced hacking cert), other than that I'm all for it.
    • I think allowing hacking of empty deployed Sunderers would make it too easy as well in PS2 (as it is extremely easy to hide under a Sundy in PS2).
    • And hacked empire specific vehicles need to be very recognisable as hacked.
    • Up x 2
  3. Thardus

I agree that deployed Sunderers shouldn't be hackable, but I do think that hacking an occupied vehicle should be just like hacking an occupied turret... it should probably take a while longer, though.
  4. Movoza

I'm wondering why people are so against hacking vehicles that are occupied. In the video there is a 10 second timer. The infiltrator needs to move up either visible and a target or cloaked, which makes a tell-tale sound when uncloaking and alerting the driver. After that a 10 second visible hacking time? I think it is pretty forgiving as simply driving away would prevent the hack. Hacking needs a very short distance and I often have trouble with initiating the hacks. If the tank is moving even a slight bit, it might already break the hack.

So if you don't hear the infiltrator uncloak or spotted/killed when walking up, the infiltrator isn't spotted or killed or you don't drive away during the 10 second hack, then maybe you deserve it?
    If you want to reduce frustration, you could also give it a flat 5 second extra on the timer for occupied vehicles, not reducible by certs.

I'm always against the next argument, but why the hell is the infiltrator getting a possible extra use when the LA is still left without a tool? The LA is being neglected since creation.
    Now that is out of the way, the mechanic is interesting. The tanks are in danger of a lot of friendly fire and you'll first have to get back to your allies and change to engineer if you want to keep using your prize as a "normal" tank that definitely adds to your team's arsenal.
    On the other hand, the infiltrator has got enough utility as it is. Hacking terminals, turrets, stealth infiltration, motion scanning, AI mines, EMP.

I do agree that there must be a separate hacked vehicle stats thing and that deployed sunderers should never be touched by hacking. Also a message with friendly fire that the vehicle is hacked, to prevent you thinking you accidentally hit a friendly next to the thing, and a priority or even different "hacked vehicle" dorito.
  5. Pelojian

vehicles that are occupied should not be hackable, infantry should not have a tool for every job and should actually have to pull air or vehicles to counter air or ground vehicles rather then infantryside's preference to play arena shooter rambo mode where no vehicle should dare to be resistant to their attacks, despite that being the whole point of vehicles vs infantry in warfare.

if you want to remove a vehicle that is occupied and mostly staying still, use C4. the problem is infantry keep pushing to be able to counter vehicles more and more and the devs keep on caving to the demand making vehicles weaker and more useless and rarely throw things to vehicles.

vehicles need infantry to stop crying for more tools so they can act more like rambo and attempt the get the attention of the devs to actually add meta for vehicles instead of wasting time on infantry AV buffs that infantryside will never think is enough.

infantry cry that tanks kill them and are unwilling to actually counter them with effective counter play and whine they are being farmed when infantry farm themselves way harder.

the most recent things they have done for ground vehicles is the new secondaries for harrasser/MBTs and engagement radar for lightning.

let's not forget the broken promise of phase 2 lethality nerfs.
  6. Iridar51

Have you ever seen a "C4 is OP vs tanks" thread? The counter is the same: look around and move once in a while. Yet loads of people still complain and get xploded every day.

I'm not particularly against hacking occupied vehicles, but I do expect it as a balancing feature, just so people don't have a reason to complain.

I guess it would be fine if the occupants of the vehicle would get a visual and audial alert that the vehicle is being hacked.
  7. Gemenai

BBurness
    "As I mentioned, it's a proof of concept at this point so no real design; but I imagine if we make it so occupied vehicles can be hacked we would add appropriate counters that vehicles could equip."

So maybe there will be a certification for the defense slot that will alert you if you are being hacked.
    Could also be an addition to the radar certification at maximum rank, like cloak is enabled at the maximum rank of vehicle stealth for the sunderer.
    • Up x 2
  8. HAXTIME

Or they could just hack it back.
  9. Gemenai

10. Bindlestiff

Perhaps - but the same could be said for Phalanx turrets...
  11. AZAN

I think it would be reasonable to give a sound effect for hacking a vehicle, just a small cue that people can pick up on. The infiltrator decloaking thing is not really good enough since there are plenty of allied infs who will decloak near you anyway.

The cue could be something as simple as every 3 seconds a quiet sparking sound.
  12. Diilicious

please do tell me more about how often you drive around in your tank with an infiltrator.
    • Up x 1
  13. Diilicious

14. FateJH

Probably more often than now if they implement this change.
  15. Diilicious

okay, then go on to describe how you will hack the now enemy tank while its reversing away from you and shooting you in the face?

not at all, is the only answer to this.
  16. Taemien

Seeing how I can spot infiltrators while in vehicle, coupled with a decloak sound, and the amount of time it takes to hack something. I think its safe to say that even an anchored prowler driver will likely be able to detect a hack attemp, deploy and just run over the infil.

We're going to see a ton of complaints from infils who fail at hacking. Think about it like this. How many infils are actually decent at hacking terminals? Like what percentage are the ones who run with squads and actually provide a benefit? Its very low. Most are:

1. Lone Wolf Snipers
    2. Lone Wolf Stalkers
    3. Lonewolf CQC SMG users who hack turrets of empty bases.

So now we'll have them trying to hack vehicles with hilarious results. Though we'll get a couple of useless tank drivers that will whine and b-tch and moan about how they got hacked. Just like they whine, b-tch, and moan about C4. The same useless and clueless tankers will get wrecked by likewise useless and clueless lone wolfing infils.

The bickering between the two will be like the bickering between Useless Tankers and Useless Light Assaults.

I don't see this changing anything. Unless hacking deployed Sundies is a thing. But there's likely to be a infil that can just hack it back. Some of them aren't useless after all.
    • Up x 1
  17. Gemenai

Quite often to be honest.
    If there isn't a large column of MBTs against me, i like to take my viper lightning with rival chassis and nano-repair.
    Sniping targets with x2 zoom and drifting around rocks to avoid dmg in cqc scenarios.
    And if my tank goes down, i just hop out and redeploy or continue taking out enemies with my sniper rifle of choice.
  18. Endlave

I like the idea, I really do, but as a tanker, I just find it to be another huge nerf. We already have to watch out for AV Maxes, engies with AV turrets, LAs with C4 and heavies with RLs, and now we also have to check if a stealthy guy managed to sneak up on my tank to hack it, followed by adding salt to injury by shooting me with my very own tank? That's just...mean. When will tanks get something sweet out of this? The least they could give us is the option to switch loadouts without having to pull a new vehicle. I would also love if you could change your secondary turret on the field for let's say a 1 minute cooldown? Maybe even let the gunner suggest a change that the driver needs to approve? Heck, I have seen myself in a situation in which I would have loved to have a different gunner turret way too often.
  19. Diilicious

yea, only i feel it will be even more intense, and actually only harm the experience of new players, since they are the ones going to be effected by this change if it happens. which is objectively bad imo.

LA's blowing up your tank is bad sure, and already gets new and even well experienced tankers alike, however having your vehicle hacked and then it is used again you and your allies, causing much more damage than just the loss of 1 vehicle.

I guess its time to go back to the ways of Renegade, and put C4 on my own tank before setting off, so if its stolen i just blow up the tank immediately. lol, (there are obvious and critical flaws in this of course xd) in renegade you couldnt blow up C4 by shooting it you could only detonate it with your own hand or disarm it with a repair tool, unlike this game, which sort of leads me to think the "C4" in this game isnt C4 at all, as you cant detonate c4 in that way, it should just be called Dynamite

not having stealth on your tank just makes you food for literally everything in the universe, particularly flanking units who know your position at all times more or less.
    • Up x 2
  20. Gemenai

Well I'm not activley cqc flanking.
    I mainly use range and accuracy as advantage, if I'm using my Lightning. At best from an elevated point and easy accessable cover.
    If somebody comes after me and forces me into cqc, then the rival chassis comes into play.
    If i didn't spot you sneaking up to me, i can only blame my situational awareness and deserve to be punished accordingly.

As for aircrafts - Galaxies are easy targets, Liberators i can avoid with rival chassis and try to gun them down, ESF are most of the time too agile and i need to lure them down and try to hit them with a volley.