Wrel has officially joined the Daybreak team

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shaengar, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Nejisaurus

I swear the next person who double posts I will personally ... post your K/D ratio. idk.

STOP DOUBLE POSTING DARN NABBIT
    • Up x 1
  2. AlterEgo

Define what the "majority of the playerbase" does, man. Because he uses vehicles, he's good with all classes, and offers some of the best advice for improving the new player experience. If you dislike "casuals", then don't be surprised if the game dies out.
    • Up x 1
  3. SpartanPsycho

Casuals don't make the game and aren't who this game targets. Wrel is a moderately good player.
    He doesn't use vehicles, look at HEJ Moukass1 mattiace that's using vehicles......
  4. Ronin Oni

I think some people want this game to play like an RTS, problem being the grunts are PEOPLE playing the role of soldiers, and not mindless AI.

If the grunts aren't having fun, which it seems a few want to change things so it decidedly wouldn't be, then they'll quit playing, and the armchair generals will go from "not having enough tactical depth" to "not having anyone to actually perform the needed tasks"
    • Up x 1
  5. SpartanPsycho

I'm saying it shouldn't be casual-friendly...

I'm saying that it shouldn't be FOCUSED on casuals, and this decision encourages that.
  6. Ronin Oni

Now that's hyperbole.

And it DOES need to be relatively focused on casuals, at least, the casuals experience in the game.

They ARE still continuing to improve leadership controls as well as adding the new construction system, both of which are unquestionably more geared at the smaller % of players who will utilize them.

The NUMBER ONE problem in this game is new player retention, so yeah, hiring the guy who has devoted his own personal time to building a channel DEDICATED to assisting new players seems like a pretty smart effing move.
    • Up x 5
  7. Vanapapi

I think even a casual player can seemingly be a hardcore one when under good leadership.

I consider myself a casual player. Under casual leadership, i'm a casual player. Under good one, **** gets real(ly fun).
  8. FateJH

How the bottom of the South Pacific?
  9. Gustavo M

All I've got to say is that they hired a YOUTUBER for the game dev team. That is all.
    inb4 "b-but Wrel already worked in previous flash-based games!", etc.
    • Up x 1
  10. Ronin Oni

ANd they ARE working on improving leadership tools. (in fact, most recent update included several QOL leadership updates)
  11. Ronin Oni

Gameplay designers need to know about how things play out, not the code behind it (which is what the lead developers do, help designers filter out what's possible and practical)

He's a designer, he won't be actually coding. His role is going to be in trying to help QA player experience.

I'm a web developer. THe designers who hand me layouts have no friggin clue how to code, and we work together to modify their designs into practical applications.
  12. Campagne

Everybody has a bias. An example of Wrel's can be found in his ZOE MAX video, where he states in the very beginning "ZOE was undeniably overpowered for skilled players who knew how to take advantage of the mobility." Which of course isn't/wasn't true at all.

Sound views are always based on opinion, and hold more water in different people's eyes. His through testing is a major boon, though.

I don't really think he is an excellent choice, but in any case I think DBG should have hired at least two or three players, not just one.
  13. Zen_Master

Yeah cause the great demagogues of history never admit to "struggles with pride"...

I'd bet your local pastor struggles with pride too.
  14. Scr1nRusher

15. Codex561

Keep the drama coming.

Thread watched.

Also hey! I am a programmer too! Where is my spot on the dev team??

Seriously now though. I can see where Scr1nRusher is coming from. A person with no portfolio in game design got hired to work on a game because he got a nice voice and an audience.

Concerns are VERY valid but I think it could play out imho.
    • Up x 2
  16. pnkdth

Game designer not game developer. When I do UI/UX design work I do not write a single line of code, I leave that to actual developers. Apparently Wrel has been with DBG since November. So I guess his test period worked out since they went public with it. Doubt they'll do that if he wasn't a good fit for the job he's been assigned to.

He was apparently a part of buffing the flash suppressor, and mentioned the fracture as being the next target. I'm cautiously optimistic but if his work is taking a look at so-called forgotten and meh weapons/attachment/etc I welcome his Wrelness with open arms. Makes sense though, his video content has be focused around QoL and player experience.

He's just one guy in the team. He's not the Creative Director. The fact they're hiring is a good sign on its own, especially when you consider this is a PS2 specific hire.
    • Up x 1
  17. Haquim

They are not THAT bad.
    Although that I actually had to look it up is telling....

Vanguard and Magrider lie around 30-40 while the Prowler, thanks to his twin-barrels I suppose, is actually rather decent at 60.
    And 30-40 is pathetic. I get more with my ******* carbine... if I stop repairing and actually shoot that is, the carbine average seems to be 20.
    Our very favorite gun, the Beetlegeuse is clocking in at 60, like a HE prowler by the way.
  18. SpartanPsycho

TBh, their MBTs, I would expect them to be over 100 kills per hour with plenty of assists and suppression :3
  19. SpartanPsycho

I was saying that as a compliment, dude....

Wth does a local pastor have to do with this?
  20. Campagne

Yes, but that's still only one opinion they're taking, and not two or three.

I agree that it is a good thing, but in my opinion it's better to start with a full hand, even if it's only just casual E-mail to a small group of unpaid, experienced players. Only one player limits the perspective.