[Suggestion] Make Gate Shield Diffuser a Engineer ability, as a way to counter the "spawn warrior".

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gustavo M, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Gustavo M

To add a bit of "risk" to spawn warriors.
    And yeah, I also posted this on reddit but it got downvoted to hell for some reason, heh.
  2. DooDooBreff

3. Garrum

Don't stand in line of sight of a spawn room while you are overpopping a base. Spawn room warriors are pretty harmless when you do that.
    • Up x 2
  4. Gustavo M

I wouldn't mind something that allows players to get inside their "safe shell" and kill everyone. It's free certs, so eh.
  5. Moridin6

it would be amusing but wed abuse the hell out of it
    • Up x 2
  6. Gustavo M

Nah, that'd be the same as the game telling em to "get the **** out and spawn elsewhere". Also, that'll make sunderers and base defense much more valuable than before. Which is not a problem for me.
  7. Garrum

That's exactly it, you don't deserve extra free certs for overpopping defenders into their spawn room. Don't stand in line of sight, and the problem literally vanishes.
    • Up x 3
  8. Gustavo M

...and the spawn warrior doesn't deserve free certs for camping in his "safe shell". So, hey... it's a win-win situation.
  9. raykor

So-called Spawn Warriors generally only exist when a base has been completely overrun. The only people dumb enough to get killed by them are the ones that can't resist the urge to spam the spawn room when they have effectively already won the base.

Of all the issues in this game, I don't think this is worth any dev time.
  10. Ronin Oni

You can deny spawn room warriors certs by not standing in LoS of their shields, as suggested.

Eventually the base will flip and they'll have to run out into the hail of gunfire and die anyways.
  11. Gustavo M

...and I'm suggesting something that counters it. Spawn warrior does not add anything relevant to the game; so why not adding something that allows players to counter em?
    That's true. How about something that allows players to get inside the spawn warrior safe shell and actually kill him?As I said above, spawn warriors does not add anything relevant to the game;therefore, I don't see any problem by adding a counter against such.
  12. Mezinov

Well, first and foremost, it should be a light assault ability. Not an Engineer ability. Engineers got plenty of things, and Light Assaults need more things. Dying quickly after running into a spawn room seems right up the alley of what Light Assaults are good at.

Secondly; Pain Fields. What do?

Thirdly; This wouldn't be used to clear our spawnroom warriors, it would be used to camp spawn tubes. While this was a possible mechanic in Planetide 1 (disable pain field, hack spawn room door, camp tube) the tubes in PS1 eventually broke. We do not have this in PS2, so it would just be a constant stream of free kills who thought they were safe going to a base 6 hexes back. It is also one of the things from PS1 that wasn't necessary fun and engaging gameplay for anyone involved.

Well, except for maybe the bragging rights of killing a fully kitted out ReXo in your Naked Suit using nothing but a Suppressor. But you could do that without being in a spawn tube.

Fourthly; Why not just make the ES Pistols shoot through spawn room shields? Would be a similar effect, but maybe 2-3 people wouldn't carry a Commissioner.
  13. raykor

"pajamas"

Ah, so many great PS1 memories.
  14. Gustavo M

Just picture a LA inside a enemy spawn room, camping right above a spawn tube. Nope, that ain't happenin'.

Either (also) make the skill flag the player as "friendly" to the opposite faction (meaning the player can stay inside the enemy spawn room as much as he wants)... or (the most convenient) the player is (also) immune to the pain field for a specific duration. Like, say... 20 seconds.

As I said above;this would make sunderers and base defending much more significant and valuable. Which is not a bad thing, in my book. And incase if you may say: "But what if the enemy camps every possible spawn room?". Get back to the warpgate, get inside someone's galaxy (or spawn a galaxy yourself), call puggies for a gal drop, fly to whatever location is needed, execute gal drop. Which is, also, not a bad thing.

Nah, that'd be a shocker for newbies. Or a bait for "rage-reports".
  15. Liewec123

remove the ability for a zerg to swamp a base and surround a spawnroom, instagibbing anyone who leaves and sure,
    then we can talk about giving "spawn room warriors" incentive to make your zergball less boring. :)
  16. Gustavo M

As I said previously, the "spawn warrior" adds nothing to the game other than being detrimental and counter-productive (read: a player inside his "safe shell" snapping free kills every now and then). Even while outnumbered. And a skill that allows players to actually -kill- the spawn warrior is a welcome change, and must be a thing.
  17. Jubikus

IT doesnt matter what you think of the spawn room warrior they exist simply because of how the game works. The thing is getting completely obliterated because your outpopped by a significant margin and then if your going to add on top of that no place where one is safe to try and break through or at least get people away from the door so they might actually be able to do something once they have gotten reinforcements would just be game breaking having no place to get your bearing would be infuriating dealing with zergs is already frustrating enough.

The spawn room warrior is a lesser of 2 evils it sucks to get killed by a guy thats sitting in safety but it sucks more to have no place where you can try and figure a way to deal with the current situation. I dont want this game to become a resistance less circle jerk of territory snatching zergs again.

Lastly ide like to state that the spawn room warrior is a base design issue if you look at hossin how often do you see spawn room warriors? not very often because tho the spawn room exists there always a teleporter and the restricted zones are much bigger this allows them to put the spawns in places where it only has a shot on the immediate area and not on any of the objectives so you cant be completely spawn camped but you cant kill any enemys if they are on the objective. The problem is nobody fights on hossin because everything in between the bases is **** and most of the bases on the other continents are like this.
    • Up x 1
  18. Codex561

And zergs add a lot I suppose?
  19. Gustavo M

Different from spawn warriors.... zerglings can be countered. Thus... the spawn room is the only thing in the game that does not have a "counter", per se (read:whoever gets in there, is free from harm). And it's time to change that.
  20. Scr1nRusher

GSD...... on an infantry.

I see no way this could possibly go catastrophically wrong..... or be completely useless.
    • Up x 2