Wrel has officially joined the Daybreak team

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shaengar, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Abraham with Cheese

Ah, there we go. "Stop being a sheep", eh? That didn't take long. Also, I never said he was, and to insinuate that I did is rather insulting.

By the way, since you have said you've done this before, what games did you work on, and thus have more experience with than Wrel? I've found several posts asking people for them, but haven't really been able to find an answer. Then again, I could have easily missed it with the vitriol and spite flying across this forum.
  2. Mustarde

Excited and happy for Wrel as a fellow youtuber and gamer.

As far as his dev job is concerned, he shows promise (has already made some good changes and seems to have some interesting ideas). I value his in-game experience to provide that player-level perspective on the team. But I will withhold judgement until he starts actually putting things out before I claim this is good or bad for the game itself. Overall though, it's incredibly hard to find anything bad about hiring him. Unless you just don't like him.

Scr1n buddy, the thing about you is that you may claim to have experience (and I personally believe you) but you can't use that as a basis for why someone like you should ever be hired to make design choices because you refuse to actually show people your work. So all we have to go off of is your posting history.
    • Up x 5
  3. cheesepuffs324

4. pnkdth

No one is claiming he is. Also, disagreeing with you or spartan doesn't make people sheep. Just because you're adopting a contrarian position doesn't make you some misunderstood rebel who can save PS2.
    • Up x 2
  5. Scr1nRusher

I've been seeing more blind praise then criticisms. Which is due simply by the namesake.
  6. Chibknot

I have hope that's a good idea, but I can understand and share Scr1nRusher's opinion.
  7. Scr1nRusher

All I'm saying is that we should be looking at him as critically as we look at the rest of the dev team.

Types of games(and game related things) that I've worked on, helped on or did consulting work on over a span of 8-ish years:

• Steam Games
    • Free Online Games
    • Mobile Games
    • Indie Games
    • Game Mods
    Now keep in mind that not all games get out of the development phase or concept phase. Or that all game design teams are not always sunshine & rainbows.

Consider how only a small percentage of non-professional games become "successful" or turn a profit. Also how out of all the non-professional game designed out there, only a handful make it into the big leagues.

I've seen fire & brimstone and the pearly gates when it comes to game design.

I should also point out that the time it requires to make games varies depending on what they are, what genre's, the size of the team,investment($$$) etc etc. MANY factors go into making a Game, and even more such as marketing & promoting are required to make it successful.
  8. Abraham with Cheese

I've also seen more toxicity and claims of knowledge and experience than any facts or evidence to back them up as well, as well as a dismissive or downright mean-spirited attitude towards anyone who doesn't drop to their knees and acknowledge you as Planetside 2's coming savior.

We get it: you're scared of what Wrel's influence could do for the game. All of us, to an extent, even we who support him, share that same fear. We love this game, and don't want it run into the ground. If Wrel does somehow turn it around, we will be happy. If the opposite happens, we won't be: simple as that.

I'm sorry to hear that most of the games you helped with didn't make it. Sounds like it's rough to try and put so much time and energy into something, only to see it fail. I know that feeling, but never to the level you have. You have my condolences.
    • Up x 3
  9. pnkdth

Maybe we can hold the criticism to when we've actually see him do something? We don't even know why DBG chose him specifically. My guess is quality of life stuff and new player experience will be his thing initially, but it is all guess-work so far.
    • Up x 2
  10. Scr1nRusher

And you are not worried about this at all?

A guy with little to no actual experience got a job because hes a popular community figure with a nice voice.
  11. Abraham with Cheese

Wouldn't be the first time it happened. Look at Obama.
    • Up x 2
  12. Scr1nRusher

Thats what it appears to be, but is it?

Would you trust a Singer with no experience of ever being in a boat to Steer a ship you are on?

Oh it gets better.

Picture working with someone that spent less time on the project & playing it(to find bugs, figure out improvements etc etc) and then they somehow get hired, yet you don't.

Its not bitterness, its frustration.

Its like "I spent 6 all nighters to solve X,Y & Z, while you were having a interview when the games barely in a good state for players to play in at this point".

Skeleton crews are a ***** BTW, don't get me started on what a clusterF-ck they are. One project I was working on had the Community manager working on Art work.

Understand why I am pissed about about Wrel getting the job.

You have a guy WITH NO EXPERIENCE, now working on a game that has had a Chernobyl of a game development history thats getting ready to more then likely relaunch after some major features are in.

We don't know his biases or secret alliances, we don't know what he is planning or what he is going to be doing.

There are people in this gaming community(besides me) that have game design experience, and know about the struggles of it, the annoyance of coding, The time it takes designing levels, the whirlwind that is balancing, etc etc.

I know I get **** by the community, but I always try to helpful when talking to the devs. Considering how well known I am, DBG for that matter can message me ANYTIME to talk about Game design/balance stuff and I'd gladly talk to them.

This Wrel thing seems more like a PR move that could potentially backfire & its interesting to note that he(Wrel) has stated that he doesn't plan on working at DBG forever. Which is very interesting.
  13. Nejisaurus

I don't see the surprise here. This type of stuff happens ALL the time.
    You can have all the experience in the world on a particular subject, but be the a bore or bad person to work with. No one will hire you.
    I would be 100% more productive working with someone with "OK" or "average" experience, but exceptional attitude and atmosphere. I can go on a broader perspective and correctly say this is why fresh college graduates who "think" they know everything never get hired because who wants to work with some know-it-all?

I have seen many of Wrel's videos. I do agree these don't really give a ton of constructive criticism. Here's the catch though on why they are so popular.
    They ENCOURAGE you to do your own criticism and make the final decision on your behalf. He lays out the facts on PS2's in's and outs.

And for anyone who is jealous or disagree, it's perfectly OK to express your distaste. But ask yourself this. Do you put your time and effort in making PS2 videos and guides? Most of the time all you have to show is your passion and work in order to succeed, whether its sub-par work or not.
    • Up x 3
  14. pnkdth

Not really, no, this is how a career starts out. They might even want a fresh pair of eyes instead of someone entrenched in the business and see potential in Wrel long-term. He's got the passion, he's put in the time to know the game, and who knows what other skills he has we don't know about. You can learn the hard skills over time, but it is very hard to teach passion for a game.

Being good the social aspect is also very important these days. I also hope we'll see more video content a la Higby/T-Ray. I mean, if they play their cards right, Wrel might be able to reach out to a lot more gamers than we're currently reaching.

So yeah, I'm not worried.
  15. Scr1nRusher

Wrel made videos to cash in on PS2 during its prime, He ended up being the figure he is today because so many other PS2 youtubers stopped.

Also, what if you have the skills but also a good attitude?
  16. Scr1nRusher

You can have a fresh set of eyes by being on the outside of the team.

You can have experienced eyes by knowing how teams function.

Also..... your response is a dime a dozen mixed with de-ja vu.

If you've been around a long time, you would know that you have to be extremely careful bringing a community figure into a game design team.

It can either go well, or be a powder keg.
  17. WetPatch

Bloody hell Scr1nRusher give it a rest, I'm not a fan of Wrels work myself but at least give him the benefit of a doubt.

Your just coming across as bitter and a massive chip on your shoulder, you wonder why a games company wouldn't hire you?

As for the Planetside Universe, what have you done that made you stand out from the crowed other than come across as a paranoid bitter vindictive player?

You made a few balance threads, so what. So have other people, you don't see them crying like you because they haven't been made a Dev or forum Mod.

Build a bridge already and grow up.
    • Up x 6
  18. Scr1nRusher

Its not about using it as a basis, its more like "I know some things that could be useful".

You say I am refusing? But I never said that I have been.

My post history can be described as someone whos went through alot of ****, but still hasn't given up hope that the game he loves would get better.
  19. Poppington

In the same way 9/11 can be described as "the worst game of Jenga ever."
    • Up x 1
  20. Scr1nRusher

lol.

Reactions like this always seem to happen.